Just bought a passat station wagon tdi

TDI
2005 passat station wagon
And immediately upon driving it on the road I noticed that it didnt have enough power to maintain speed going up hill, only time it does is when I first take off in it (I immediately figured out that it was going into limp mode) and have since pulled the codes and 2 are turbo under boost and faulty mass air flow sensor reading. I cleared the codes once and it immediately drove better for about 3 miles but then went back into limp mode. I'm getting ready to have the codes pulled again and compare the codes now to what they were the other day before they were cleared. If the turbo under boost code pops up again I'm gonna start where the previous owner said it was messing up he said that the IC boot popped off and has since fixed it but I'm not entirely certain that he sealed it properly, is there a way I can test for leaks without having to go buy anything?

TDI
I also keep getting a light on my dash where it has a arrow circling an explanation point and the light comes on each time it goes into limp mode any idea what that light means?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
OBD works, start there.

The owner's manual has all the warning light explanations, but it sounds like the ESP light is what you are describing.

If you have a MAF DTC and an underboost DTC, you most likely have a charge air leak, and a brake torque with a helper will usually find it in short order. One of the 4 big charge air hoses, two of which I have never ever seen fail. The ones that can fail are the S-shaped one coming out of the turbo to the crossover pipe, the other is the little L-shaped one going into the intake, near the firewall.

TDI
OBD works, start there.
The owner's manual has all the warning light explanations, but it sounds like the ESP light is what you are describing.
If you have a MAF DTC and an underboost DTC, you most likely have a charge air leak, and a brake torque with a helper will usually find it in short order. One of the 4 big charge air hoses, two of which I have never ever seen fail. The ones that can fail are the S-shaped one coming out of the turbo to the crossover pipe, the other is the little L-shaped one going into the intake, near the firewall.
Can you please explain that last part a little better? It kinda sounds like you started mid sentence and doesn't really make sense

oilhammer

TDI
???? Not sure I can make it any clearer.

Yellow warning light with an arrow going in a circle is the ESP warning lamp. If it is ON, either the system is turned off (via the dash button that says ESP), or there is a fault in the system, which would be resident in the ABS. ESP is part of the ABS.

Your two DTCs suggest a charge air leak. A boost leak somewhere between the turbocharger and the intake manifold.

blazen71

Veteran Member
TDI
All Gone
And Oilhammer is saying to check for boost leak, step on the brake and throttle at the same time, like doing a brake stand. Have someone listen for a boost leak and then track it down.

TDI
Ok thanks I will definitely hop on it this is my primary car for until I get my truck back. Paid $800 for it so I expected to have problems just as long as it ran and drove.

TDI
One other question I have an auto and some of the codes that popped up when pulled was the torque converter not locking/shift solenoid messing up. Can I change the fluid and filter and that will fix it or will it be more complicated than that?

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Lol no I'm not one to give up easy plus this is my only running driving vehicle I have at the moment until I get my truck back so I need it
Won't be running and driving if you drive it to death. The car is telling you it has problems, you should listen and strop driving it until it's fixed.

TDI
I cant right now I have to work and like I said this is the only one that runs and drives right now I should be getting my truck back here in the next few days and when I do I will park it and fix it I'm not ignoring the problems by any means that is why I am inquiring about the issues it has. I literally just got this car last tuesday.

TDI
Well I got my 401k loan so now as soon as the shop is done with my truck I can use what's left to start working on my car and tomorrow I'm gonna have the oil changed in it so I'm actually starting on my car

TDI
I have another problem that I'm going to address just dont know whether its axle (I know CV joint) or abs but sometimes when I hit the brakes the pedal feels like its fighting me and I hear this clicking noise coming from the right front today I had to hit the brakes a little hard and it did it and also pulled to the left while I was braking I replaced the pads on the front already both sides at the same time so I know it ain't pad related but what is it so I can fix it?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Probably a warped rotor. Also, did you lubricate the caliper guide pins when replacing the pads? Calipers can get stuck and only push on one side of the disc, which will both warp the discs and cause uneven braking force.

TDI
Probably a warped rotor. Also, did you lubricate the caliper guide pins when replacing the pads? Calipers can get stuck and only push on one side of the disc, which will both warp the discs and cause uneven braking force.
Yeah they're lubricated all the hardware got lubricated when I replaced the pads

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
How did you get this car legally on the road?

TDI
Well I'm in Ky and if it's a in state purchase or transaction they dont require a whole other insurance and transfer of title for it to be "legal" but I've been finding that the previous owner did not care about this car at all. But unfortunately I dont have any choice but to fix it because I just had a baby and the car that my gf has been borrowing from her parents isnt quite big enough for all 4 us so I need this car. When I get my truck back I will park this thing and go through it and fix all the issues with it. But for now I'm just driving it as gently as possible so that it will last until I get my truck back. Here's a clue as to how much the previous owner cared about this car the last time the oil was changed was may 15 of 2017 at 176867 miles.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
I wouldn't consider that previous oil change time neglect. VW Factory Maintenance schedule for oil changes are 10,000 miles. Anything less is wasting money and resources. With synthetic oil, you can leave it there for 2 years.

My oil change interval 12,000-14,000 miles.

TDI
Well to me that is strange but this is also my first vw that I have ever owned so I dont know a whole lot about vw except that the tdi is probably the best motor option that vw has available

oilhammer

TDI
Well to me that is strange but this is also my first vw that I have ever owned so I dont know a whole lot about vw except that the tdi is probably the best motor option that vw has available

Strange how? Ford, Honda, GM, Toyota, and others commonly have 10k mile intervals too.