MK4 PD TDI weak points

CameraJack

TDI
mk4 PD130 Golf Estate
Hi All.

I'm going to look at a 2002 PD130 TDI estate/wagon tomorrow and wondered if there were any well known weak points to look out for. It has less than 100k miles on it (huuuuge bonus) and it has the "Tiptronic" slushbox in it. Cambelt was done less than 5k miles ago.

I've owned three VWs - two mk3 Golfs and a B5.5 Passat, which also had the PD130 engine in it - so I know my way around them and will be taking my laptop with VCDS on it for a thorough code scan. I've never had a mk4 though and while they share a lot with B5.5s I know there will be some platform specific niggles.

The driver's side window doesn't work (cheap and easy fix) and the driver's footwell gets damp after heavy rain. I assume the water is due to clogged drain holes in the driver's door - are there any other possibilities? B5.5s like to clog the plenum drain holes and then water gets in through the HVAC air intake, for example.

Any help would be appreciated. It's up for a great price and I'll likely jump on it assuming there are no nasty codes lurking on the ECU and it drives well.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Does it have a sunroof? If so the drains could be your problem. No major problems with my BEW. It's the wiring that gets brittle with age and that could be tricky to diagnose. My Golf has the 09A auto trans., and that has been reliable so far after 161K miles and one ATF change @ 80K.

CameraJack

TDI
mk4 PD130 Golf Estate
Nope no sunroof. I do like sunroofs which is a shame because they seem to be universally a bad idea.

I don't mind electrical work too much so unless there's a silly amount of problems I don't mind tackling the odd wiring job.