Front struts- how much play?

sixmenn

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW Jetta TDI manual transmission , 2000 VW Jetta GLS TDI manual transmission
I had my 2000 Jetta TDI up on the hoist trying to find an intermittent "clunk" sound in the front right end that occurs sometimes when I go over bumps. While on the hoist, if I push up on the front tires, there is considerable up-and-down (and a bit of side-to-side movement when the weight is supported) movement at the top of the strut assembly where it is connected to the car. Is some play normal, or does this indicate a problem I need to fix?

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
The beeg rubber bushings at the top of the struts just sit in sockets. Or I should say the sockets just sit on the bushings at the top of the struts.

When you raise the body there is a point where the tops are completely free to move around. If you keep raising the body it hits the large washers on top of the struts and the wheels will come off the ground.

Hard to splain but easy to see the gap between the washer and body when the cars sitting on its wheels. Gap can be pretty big on old bushings that have settled.

Maybe the suspension is topping out and you're hearing the washers hit the body?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Yup, unfortunately can't tell much with the car up on the hoist because the front struts won't be resting on the strut bearings (up inside the shock tower).

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
How old are the bushings? Mine seem to last 4 or 5 years. If they're older than that I'd replace them. They don't cost much and you can sneak in new ones without removing the strut.

Also, if your struts are shot they'll make noise.

sixmenn

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW Jetta TDI manual transmission , 2000 VW Jetta GLS TDI manual transmission
So if I'm hearing you right, it IS normal for there to be play when it's up on the hoist.

I have owned the car for 4 years. Perhaps it's time to change thos bushings. Thanks for the advice!

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
You need a tool to compress the spring while you remove the top nut. Might as well change the top bearing while you're at it.

How old are the struts? Are they in good shape?

sixmenn

Veteran Member
TDI
I really don't know the age of the struts. I've owned the car for 4 years, and don't know when they were last replaced. The vehicle has 181,000 miles on it. Maybe I should just go ahead and replace the entire strut assembly. Without having to do the whole spring compression thing, that's a pretty quick and easy job.

Nyk

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
I had a clunk in the same spot, and thought it might have been something in the LCA/CV joint going on me. Took it into my guy at the shop and he discovered that it was a loose upper strut mount. Replaced it with a new one (like $50 CND) and the clunk was gone.

Hopefully your issue is as quick of a fix!

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Hey sixmenn, I do not know of anywhere you can order top quality pre-assembled strut assemblies, unless you could persuade IDParts to assemble the parts before shipping...

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
Clunk can be sway bar bushings as well, if they are original at 180k they will be bad.

Drive on a smooth road and make S turns, if the clunk happens right as the cars weigh shifts from one side to the other it is the sway bar bushings.