oil cooler orientation

sixmenn

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW Jetta TDI manual transmission , 2000 VW Jetta GLS TDI manual transmission
This past week I tried to install a Frostheater HTR1 on my 2000 Jetta TDI. When I tried to connect the lower hose to the oil cooler, the lower nipple of the oil cooler was oriented toward the 7 oclock position, causing the Frostheater hose to kink as it encountered the transmission.

Terry Frost said that the oil cooler on the MKIV is supposed to be in the 9 oclock position, which would make installation more easily accomplished, and without a bend.

Is Terry correct? If so, why would my oil cooler be pointing in the wrong direction? Is this indicative of a problem? Is the fix as simple as loosening the large lower nut, turning the oil cooler, and then retightening the large nut again?

Thanks for the help!

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Unless you bought it new it could be a few reasons, I'd bet it wasn't put back exactly when they replaced the seals

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

sixmenn

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW Jetta TDI manual transmission , 2000 VW Jetta GLS TDI manual transmission
So if I want to reorient it, is it as simple as loosening that large nut and rotating it until it's correct?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
The oil cooler hose fittings should face to the drivers side. Having one apart before, I see no reason you couldn't orient it differently.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
So if I want to reorient it, is it as simple as loosening that large nut and rotating it until it's correct?
indeed
the upper o-ring may start leaking when disturbed, but you can see that from up top, so no big deal to peek at it a couple times after adjusting it

if you only loosen it enough to turn it shouldn't dump oil, if you take it apart too far about a qt of oil will come out on you,
when that happens you're best off just replacing the upper seal anyways
go to your local parts stores and grab you a pf47e (or pf46, 48, 52, 53, 60, 61...) to pull the square cut o-ring off of. Other brands of filter have a taller o-ring that'll push out under oil pressure, but the ac-delco ones are short enough to compress into the oil cooler's groove. Ask to dig through their bucket of used filters, 'swhat I use on mine. The VW dealer has the 'proper' seal in stock for a dollar, but my experience with those has been poor.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I would simply loosen the big nut about a 1/4 turn, re-orient and tighten it back up.