Alternator Pulley 2013 Passat

rollcoal

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
84k miles. The belt tensioner is bouncing like crazy and I suspect the alternator pulley is going bad. I'm not experiencing any serious voltage fluctuations (per the Torque app). But where can I get just this pulley?

https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_2...TDI-DIESEL-AT/PULLEY/47998696/022903119C.html

...this link says it's only available with a new alternator. But then I google the part number 022903119C, I get plenty of hits for $25-$35 ( see https://www.amazon.com/Bapmic-022903119C-Alternator-Pulley-Volkswagen/dp/B01MR0F1IN) but most of the time it says the part does not fit my car.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Doesn't the belt go around more than just the alternator? The tensioner? What else?
Me thinks the culprit might be elsewhere.
If it's the alternator I believe you need a special tool to remove the pulley.

But I've been wrong before.

BRIAN427COBRA

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 2015 Passat SEL
I have changed 7 or alternators on my 03 Jetta TDI, all for the same reason, bad pulley, I only bought 1 alternator with a lifetime warranty though, I know its going bad when the car is cold and at start up it cherps, I suspect you have another issue

rollcoal

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I got it fixed by a local independent VW/Audi shop. I figured I'd share my experience to help anyone else in the future. Turns out the alternator pulley was in fact seized. An easy way to determine if it's seized without taking off the belt is stick a screw driver in the alternator and try to spin the alternator fan blades. They should move one way and not the other. If not, it's seized. Other symptoms: bouncing tensioner (that smoothed out by increasing the RPMs), bouncing belt, chirp when starting, chirp when shifting, and NOISY!

Once the belt was off, the tensioner didn't spin smoothly. There wasn't much play, and I could have gotten away with leaving it but there was definitely a tiny gravel sound. I had the belt replaced as well for a mere $17. Overall, the diag, pulley, tensioner and belt was 3 hours of labor. Evidently the headlight needed to come out to get to the pulley. Perhaps to get to the alternator bolts and spin the alternator out of the way? But the alternator DID NOT have to be removed. This would have been considerably more time. I put a triple-square socket on my ratchet and I literally could not get the socket inside the pulley. There is maybe 1.5" between the alternator pulley and the frame. On my wife's 2016 Jetta 1.8T, there's probably like 5 inches and no frame in the way. Anyways, I'm happy it's done.

Last edited: