Hood Lift Supports, Struts.

Kchorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
I would like to install on my new 2012 Passat TDI SEL the hood Lift Supports, Struts.
Can somebody help me to figure out he best part to use?
Maybe the one from the B6 or other VW model with be a perfect fit.
I think this is a small project mod that won't brake anybody pockets and will be a great addition o our cars..
Please let me know your thoughts..

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
You want to put in part that will eventually fail, right? The ones for the B5.5 TDI are are around a hundred. I cost me $60 to get my trunk to behave again. Say what you will I like simple, even if it isn't as elegant.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I just can't see it happening. Manual hood support works just fine...although it is quite heavy. Weight/size of the hood seems to require 2 struts, toward the edges of the hood, and would require welding...tough on the surrounding paint, IMO.

I think it's a convenience item that's been "de-contented" that I can live without.

leicaman: my 93 S-4 single hood support was still strong after 17 years...go figure...

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
I would like to install on my new 2012 Passat TDI SEL the hood Lift Supports, Struts.
Can somebody help me to figure out he best part to use?
Maybe the one from the B6 or other VW model with be a perfect fit.
I think this is a small project mod that won't brake anybody pockets and will be a great addition o our cars..
Please let me know your thoughts..
Since no one else seems interested...............I'll pm you when I get mine installed.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I would gladly give you my B5's hood strut if you can figure out how to install a simple prop rod in it instead.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Huh??? Care to elaborate? I thought you had gone elsewhere, except for your occasional valuable HPFP posts?
No, I really don't care to comment. Other than our gasser Jettas have been trouble free so far. I'd rather be driving a diesel,but no 1st generation VW tdi's for me.. Hopefully the VW 2nd generation CR tdi's will be better.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Who really needs these? How often does anyone really need to go under the hood on these TDI's?

Besides, I thought these new hoods went up to "service mode" which is really far back. Not sure the struts would allow the full function of the hood.

Then again, that could have been the MB. I looked at too many cars this time around to really remember for sure.

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW...SOLD..2012 Passat TDI SEL Black on Black...Now Here
I agree, Why bother. How often do you need to open the hood. The hood rod works and won't fail and have the hood fall on your head as do the struts on my Blazer,s rear window.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
I agree, Why bother. How often do you need to open the hood. The hood rod works and won't fail and have the hood fall on your head as do the struts on my Blazer,s rear window.
This is no help to the OP. Struts are wanted for their car, no one is asking you to install them on yours.

Y'all are a bunch of nannys sometimes.

Kchorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Thank you all for your help.
Already contact redlinetuning to see if the will have a kit available sometime this year.

chris@revotechnik

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
12 JSW, 98 TJ cummins, bunch of gassers
Back in the day companies like neuspeed and autotech sold kits for the mk1/2/3s and they sold like crazy. A few of them may have something out soon because VW is going back to the prop rod after people got used to the struts.

How often do you open the hood? for a bunch of people who say do everything by the book that means you should be opening your hood about once a week to check fluid levels. 50+ times a year a strut is more convenient.

All that aside as someone else said the OP wants a strut if you don't fine but that doesn't mean he cannot have one. I just read in another post someone actually say if you want to change the wheels don't buy a German car, why can't people modify their own cars without people telling them they can't?

oilhammer

TDI
. 50+ times a year a strut is more convenient.
Until it quits working... then it is not convenient at all.

Sorry, man, but I open hoods on all kinds of cars every day... the ones with struts are the ones that are a PITA because they fail. Prop rods work. You can lift the hood on my 21 year old Jetta and see its original prop rod works EXACTLY the same as it did when it left the factory, never cost a dime after the car was purchased.

I can also roll all 4 windows up and down, open and close the trunk lid, and lock/unlock all 4 doors exactly the same as new, too.

Sometimes the simple stuff that works is a breath of fresh air, especially on a Volkswagen, where the complex stuff is the stuff that always seems to break. :eek:

Oh, and when you tell people they need a $60 prop rod for the hood, they always say "why, I never open the hood anyways?"

chris@revotechnik

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
12 JSW, 98 TJ cummins, bunch of gassers
I've worked on tens of thousands of cars just like you and never had a single one that had a strut which was failed. Hatch yes hood no.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen but this is like saying don't drive your car because one day it will need new tires.

It still doesn't change the fact that if you don't want it don't do it. Who are you to tell anyone what they should or should not do to their car to make it more enjoyable for themselves? I get it you like the prop rod great that has nothing to do with the OP.

oilhammer

TDI
I find it impossible to believe that you have never, ever seen a hood strut that was bad. Sorry.
And I offered to GIVE him mine, if he could find a way to make his B7's rod work on my B5 (which I know would be almost impossible, as they are so different).

danielpd

TDI
12 passat TDI SEL
This would be very helpfull for some one that is handicapped. The hood is heavy to lift

Last edited:

Niner

duplicate account, banned
This would be very helpfull for some one that is handicapped. The hood is heavy to lift
Vw doesn't sell enough of these to handicapped folks to justify putting a gas strut in. Buy an Audi if you need gas struts.