Shifter Assembly Problem

thilton59

TDI
2012 2-Dr Golf 6-spd(RIP), 2015 Jetta TDI DSG
Background:

2015 Jetta TDI, DSG, stock, 22k miles

Problem:

Transmission will not go into any gear. "P" warning light flashes on dash. All fusses are intact. Investigation led to discovery that shift assembly connector is detached (see pictures).

https://instagram.com/p/BqTQKSNlMwv/
4 pics total(this is the view under the shift boot)

Information Requested:

I can not reconnect the aforementioned plug. The pins are intact and there is no obvious damage. I need to know how to get this connector to snap into place; the male and female connections are able to get to know each other, but it seems they don't want to be exclusive and thusly won't snap together in mechanical matrimony.

Futhermore...:

I've been through it with the dealer, they won't cover it under any of the warranties I have and my incessant meddling has earned me a persona non grata. So let's not go down that road, or even in that general direction(which is south, into the lowest circle of Hell, which is where the Hendrick Motors owned VW of Murrieta has there business office.)
Also, this is my first automatic and I've had it all of 4 months, suffice it to say, bad luck comes in 3`s, and losing a job and a girl only leave a car to go wrong. Womp womp...

Last edited:

thilton59

TDI
Update: Using a dental mirror I was able to see that not all the pins within the shift assembly are straight, they are somehow intact however. It looks like the new adventure will be removing the assembly and sacrificing a goat to the few gods not actively smiting me for their amusement, that I don’t break a pin and have to buy a $700 assembly. Which, by the way, my dealer will graciously order and install for only $1600, once it’s not back ordered. Yelp just seems so petty when you want that Old Testament kind of retribution... Guess I’ll need another goat...

(No goats will be harmed while mending said assembly, probably...)

thilton59

TDI
New problem:

I’ve begun removing the shirt assembly, but cannot free it from the car. There are 4 T25 screws that free the unit, and the aft portion is liberated. However, the forward section, albeit loose, will not give way. I’ve put the shifter into every gear in an attempt to free it, but this hasn’t done it. I’ve looked, seemingly, everywhere for instructions on this, but haven’t found anything.

Anybody know what to do?

Dubin20th

TDI
2015 Jetta
The shifter assembly gets removed from under the car. The base is mounted from underneath and the torx screws on top are to separate the shifter from the base, but with the shifter cable still attached underneath I don't thing you'll be able to take it out from inside. You can try using a mirror and a pick to try and straighten the pin.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk