2010 Jetta - Clutch & Flywheel Replacement

Jolly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV Golf 5
We finally made the decision to keep the A5 Jetta instead of selling it back to VW right away. Aside from some of the other issues I need to resolve, the clutch "chatter" is likely the biggest most expensive one to fix.

Car has 6-speed manual with about 140,000 miles. The clutch has been making noise for a year and half - mostly while at idle and in neutral. Car still seems to drive fine, maybe a little difficult to shift gears, but nothing major. In the past month its gotten significantly noisier, if I hold the clutch half way out just before it begins to grab, it makes a bunch of noise. Noise goes away and returns with its normal rattles with the clutch out all the way.

A straight forward diagnosis would indicate its likely a throwout/release bearing. But I keep reading about the dual mass flywheel failing which creates similar symptoms.

Anyone have experience with these transmissions (I believe its an O2Q). Is the noise likely to be the DMF, or the release bearing? I've priced full replacement kits with a SMF. Based on what I have read, this seems like the SMF is the preferred option for replacement. Any big differences to expect? The Valeo kit from ID Parts the way to go with this?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yes, you have the 02Q trans. The 02Q has steel synchro rings that are much more brittle than brass. The SMF' s seem to eat 02Q syncros for lunch. A lot of guys that tried SMF on the 02Q wound up going back to DMF. Your symptoms do sound a lot like a separating DMF.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
"chatter" seems to point to DMF. A release bearing is usually more a squeal. If it is a DMF and its got noticeable worse in last month it needs done ASAP, not soon, not later. If it fails it can punch a hole in the housing.

I am at 139,000 miles and have been wondering how much longer I have on my clutch also, and have been watching threads about clutch replacements for 2010's. I see a lot of people happy with SMF changeovers and several that were unhappy enough to redo it back to a DMF. I figure 140-150,000 miles on a clutch, and taught several teens how to drive sticks. I cant complain much, and will probably go DMF again.

Jolly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV Golf 5
Changed out the clutch this past weekend. This was not a minor undertaking... Drove the car into the garage at 7:45 AM, and drove it out at 7:15 PM for a spin around the block, luckily a friend has a lift and a full tool box of tools which made the process a little less painful.

In lieu of dropping the subframe, and pulling the axle from the hub, we elected to remove the top of the drivers side strut to swing the drive shaft up and out of the way. Found out the shock mount was badly damaged, bolts seized up, and so we had to cut it apart to get it removed - this task was easily about 90 minutes of the removal. Finding the correct transmission position for removal was a minor pain when gravity was working with you. Finding the correct transmission position when putting back in was a major PITA. And fitment of the transmission to engine block was rather difficult as well. Installing the new DMF, clutch, and pressure plate was likely the easiest part of the job.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd take the time to drop the subframe and make removal and reinstall of the transmission into place easier. Or I'd pay someone else to do it... I might have to do my A4 golf in another year; I'm hoping its not as difficult as an A5.

And a pic from the day...

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Nice job! I'm not looking forward to this on my mkvi which currently has clutch slippage. I'll probably hire it out to save myself the headache.