Passat Burning Oil-Or Lack Thereof

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
I'm approaching 10,000 miles and have been checking my oil level every fill-up, Looks like this car hasn't burnt a drop of oil, wondering what everyone else is finding.

RoadRunnerTR21

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE w/sunroof
At 10K miles, I would assume that there should be no oil consumption going on. Are you assuming that their should be?

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
At 10K miles, I would assume that there should be no oil consumption going on. Are you assuming that their should be?
I'm not so sure we should assume zero oil consumption, that's why I check mine every fill-up, have you checked your oil level?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Since no one has posted a commment about oil consumption, you can safely state that there is no problem with oil consumption. Ditto for coolant loss, tranny fluid loss, brake fluid, etc. etc.

Geez, Gergg...I don't think this is a very useful thread, unless you're having a problem.

Just consider, if all of us anal-retentive, VW lovers were to post every time we have a question about a certain component of the vehicle that is functioning as designed, we'd have dozens of not very useful threads..."Hey, 6k miles, and no loss of coolant yet. Is this normal?"...or...'Yup, when the temp. dropped 10 degrees, my tires lost 2 lbs. of pressure."

Please reconsider the thread, and maybe have the moderator remove it.

Last edited:

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Geez, Gergg...I don't think this is a very useful thread, unless you're having a problem.

Just consider, if all of us anal-retentive, VW lovers were to post every time we have a question about a certain component of the vehicle. We'd have dozens of not very useful threads..."Hey, 6k miles, and no loss of coolant yet. Is this normal?"...or...'Yup, when the temp. dropped 10 degrees, my tires lost 2 lbs. of pressure."

Please reconsider the thread, and maybe have the moderator remove it
Oh man, sorry I didn't run the question by you first, my bad.....in your case I suggest you just ignore it, after all, if the question is not worthy it will fall off the cliff with uninterest....just saying:D

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
tdiatlast,

Are you cranky again?

VW have been notorious in the past for consumption although my experience with the two 05 Passats was no usage between changes.

Assuming that no one is having an issue because they have not posted here is not very smart. You know what Assuming does. :)

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
After 3 years on this forum, I am aware of no oil consumption issues with the 09>>VW CRTDI engines, hence my concern about raising an "issue" that doesn't exist...maybe I'm just superstitious.

However, there have been a few 09>>>TDI CRs that have had minor coolant loss. The 2012 is plumbed differently, and I might rightly be concerned about coolant loss in the new engine. I'm not going to post a query here about it until I have indications of coolant loss. I assume others would do the same.

Searching on this site has never been easy, and with the addition of threads about non-issues crowding the ones with valid issues, it will only get more difficult.

I WILL assume, with great confidence, that the minute anyone here loses a few ml of oil, it will be posted here, with a rant about how much oil their VW is using, and anger about how VWoA refuses to replace the engine.

It's easy online to create a furor, to say nothing of misperception, over nothing.

Last edited:

RoadRunnerTR21

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE w/sunroof
I'm not so sure we should assume zero oil consumption, that's why I check mine every fill-up, have you checked your oil level?
Yes, I've checked it twice. Besides looking at the oil level, I'm also noting how quick it gets dark. I'm on my second Duramax engine and after a oil change in it, the oil turns black almost immediately. Comparing the two engines is just a curiosity thing me. BTW, my Duramax has had zero oil consumption in 45K miles so I would not expect to have any consumption issues with the TDI.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Yes, I've checked it twice. Besides looking at the oil level, I'm also noting how quick it gets dark. I'm on my second Duramax engine and after a oil change in it, the oil turns black almost immediately. Comparing the two engines is just a curiosity thing me. BTW, my Duramax has had zero oil consumption in 45K miles so I would not expect to have any consumption issues with the TDI.
Great, my 2011 Golf TDI had zero oil consumption after 30,000 miles so looks like the Passat might be good-to-go as well. Yeah, the oil gets dirty almost immediately with a TDI, no issue there.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
I've found on the old 1.9TDI's quite a variation in oil consumption, but it always seemed to stay the same on each one. My 1998 always used 1/2L between 15000KM oil changes, one friends used none, another's used 1L every 5000KM. Seemed the manufacturing tolerances varied a bit.

Don

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Didn't realize CRs not prone to consumption, so I found this thread useful. ALH & BRM turbo bearings tend to consume oil, but not for everyone. Must be my driving style, as i consume ~1/2L between OCIs.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Mine was about halfway in the hash marks when I got it new. I put about 1/4 liter in it and it came up to the top of the hash marks. Has been there ever since, at 7600 miles currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chad@EuroTec

Vendor
TDI
2010 Jetta TDi, 6sp manual
Just consider, if all of us anal-retentive, VW lovers were to post every time we have a question about a certain component of the vehicle.

This sort of statement is just unnecessary and was a total waste of my time to read. Why don't you quit being an idiot and please consider editing it out...

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gee, Chad, thanks for your kind words. You're correct, I've edited my post to make it clearer.

Later today, I'll be starting new threads about my coolant NOT leaking, and my brake fluid NOT leaking, and my blinker fluid NOT leaking...oh...I forgot, my battery's not leaking either. Have you had any lights burn out yet? Not me, but I'd better post to see if anyone has had any lights burn out yet. My alternator's doing just fine, as well. I have noticed that the adblue fluid level seems to be dropping, better post a thread about that, is that normal? Holy crap, where's my power steering fluid reservoir? I can't find it. Each of my threads will be titled: "Passat leaking coolant...or not", "Passat leaking brake fluid...or not"; "Passat burning out bulbs...or not"...etc. etc.

I think posting threads about systems that are functioning as designed are unnecessary, and are a total waste of time...even your's. Guess that makes me an idiot.

Last edited:

chris@revotechnik

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
12 JSW, 98 TJ cummins, bunch of gassers
Since no one has posted a commment about oil consumption, you can safely state that there is no problem with oil consumption. Ditto for coolant loss, tranny fluid loss, brake fluid, etc. etc.

Just consider, if all of us anal-retentive, VW lovers were to post every time we have a question about a certain component of the vehicle that is functioning as designed, we'd have dozens of not very useful threads..."Hey, 6k miles, and no loss of coolant yet. Is this normal?"...or...'Yup, when the temp. dropped 10 degrees, my tires lost 2 lbs. of pressure."

This is exactly why so many people hate this forum, come for a week and never return. No one is allowed to be positive, no one can say they don't have a problem. If your thread isn't about the dealer screwing you or how your car is terrible then its not allowed here.

This is a discussion forum, people can discuss whatever they want. Sorry you get upset when people are happy their cars are working great and want to share it. Don't recall seeing that not being allowed.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
so many people hate this forum
While this forum is not perfect, it's far better than most with regard to civility, quality of content. And most members use sentence structure and punctuation. Many forums read like text messages.

Last edited:

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
I found this thread of interest since previous TDI's had varying levels of oil consumption and from what I have seen posted, this new TDI engine seems to consistently not consume oil.
If something is posted you don't find of interest, maybe just ignore it, seems pretty simple?

Don

chris@revotechnik

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
12 JSW, 98 TJ cummins, bunch of gassers
While this forum is not perfect, it's far better than most with regard to civility, quality of content. And most members use sentence structure and punctuation. Many forums read like text messages.
Just because people are jerks with proper grammar doesn't mean they are any better.

As for quality of content? Not sure if serious.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
My 2005 PD loses about a pint between 10k miles OCIs, so if the newers one don't, that is good news, even for the scrooges.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Did your PD passat lose oil in it's first 10K? or has it developed this consumption over 80K or so?

It'll be interesting to see what they consume after 75K or so.

jontg428

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I just checked mine 2013 Passat TDI after 8,000 miles and it burned about half a quart, not bad, but my 2010 Jetta TDI did not burn a drop. I am hoping the consumption drops to 0 after 10K miles.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
im at 5,300 miles and still on the full mark, Iv always wondered why they require low ash 507 oil if the car burns zero oil. I keep thinking is a few oz of mid ash 505 oil over 10k really that bad vs people on the fuels thread throwing a half quart of 2 cycle in the tank?

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
im at 5,300 miles and still on the full mark, Iv always wondered why they require low ash 507 oil if the car burns zero oil. I keep thinking is a few oz of mid ash 505 oil over 10k really that bad vs people on the fuels thread throwing a half quart of 2 cycle in the tank?
I think I'm not disposed to take the chance with stuff like that. What's the point in trying to save a few bucks on the oil, given the possible risk to the DPF?

{Off-topic comment follows}

As far as the question of forum quality, which has emerged in this thread, I frequent three different categories of forums, and TDIClub is one of THE best in terms of civility, moderation, and the level of discussion and writing. I have been on some forums where a lot of posts are nearly incomprehensible. I believe that clarity and precision when writing about technical matters DOES matter, and there's a gun forum I've been on where being ungrammatical on a continuing basis will result in being banned.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wow...I just re-read my posts from last year...what an idiot I was. You guys were right trying to get me to shut up. I apologize.

FYI: 68k miles 09 JSW DSG, 33k miles 12 Passat DSG...zero oil consumption at any time by either engine, 10k OCI with Castrol.