2/3 MANN oil filters dont work, even though box and numbers are same,why? pics inside

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
like the title says... ordered 3 filters. only one would fit over the oil filter caps center rod. other two have a smaller hole, and guts on the top and in the hole.. all numbers are the exact same. why? good is on the right, bad is on the left.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
looks to me like someone screwed up. (in mexico, perhaps, since the numbers look the same)

work with whoever sent them to you. they can deal with whoever wholesaled them. and back to Mann

werewolf

Veteran Member
TDI
03 New Beetle TDI Jetta,03 & 04 TDI, Golf 04 TDI
Didn't they print TOP on the wrong side a while back?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I made a thread about this a while ago. Some were printed upside down. I think some of them maybe sat around in a warehouse somewhere for a while as I think I got a couple later on, too.

I got some Mobil 1 oil printed in Spanish for the Mexican market by accident too, once. Box was printed in English, and sealed properly. But all the bottles were in Spanish. :p

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
There is some saying in spanish about top-down bottom-up. Dont know the reasoning behind it but maybe someone on here from mexico can chime in and explain to us? Maybe this is why we keep getting a mix up.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
I did look at the bottoms, and I think I even tried them and it didnt work. I could be wrong... maybe I didnt try. I will next weekend though and report back.

I already put one oil filter half ways into the dirty oil, realized it wont work, and swapped filters.... am I ok to let that first filter sit half soaked for a few months, or should I just be safe and chuck it.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
heres what IDparts told me:

Yes, MANN has swapped the "TOP" markings on these filters. This has happened a few times now. I *think* that the confusion comes from customer feedback. If you put the filter on the spindle, and the spindle is on the bench, you are effectively putting the filter in upside down. So, "top" means away from the spindle. But, the spindle faces downwards, so the top becomes the bottom.

I think that MANN is unsure which side to put "TOP" on to make it clear for customers, and, I'm sure they get bad feedback both ways.

Here is what to remember - the inside baffle holds oil in the media, thus, it must be at the bottom of the filter when installed.

little confusing because I dont know what the spindle is, or how the bench part works. top should always be top no?? but makes sense I guess. coulda swore I flipped one upside down and looked at the bottom, if not even tried it. guess not.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I installed two of these in the past two weeks, both were correct. I place the filter in the canister, and push it onto the base of the canister. If it doesn't slide on, it's upside down. If it does, it's fine.