Newbie looking for a Tdi

Boosted2jz

TDI
Looking for one
Hey ppl , im new here , also new to tdi's . Dont currently own one but ive been shopping around for a while now. I just cant seem to find the right deal. Im looking for preferably a mk4 (wagon would be nice) manuel with less then 300 000 . Everytime i find a good deal they disappear in a matter of hours . I was hoping you guys might have a few tricks in finding them and also maybe have a few suggestion has to what to look for so i dont get srewed because my only other vw experience was with a mk3 jetta wolfburg and it was the worst car experience ive ever had and i have own many kinda left me a little weary about vw's . Thx in advance .

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I was hoping you guys might have a few tricks in finding them and also maybe have a few suggestion has to what to look for so i dont get srewed?
Look for one with no rust, no sunroof, and no automatic transmission.:D
Just kiddin'...kind of.

Seriously, if you're looking for a perfect one...it will be tough. Last new ones were in 06, so even the newest MK4 TDI is now a decade old.

Personally, I look for the best of the worst so to speak. I like a good body/chassis to start with, and then work backwards from there. In other words, instead of waiting for a nice one worth $6000, you might be better off buying one for $3000 that needs a few things, and then spending $3000 fixing it up.

You may find a good one...but it is tough these days. Don't be afraid to buy one that needs some work. At this point in the game, most of them will anyway.

Good luck,
Rem

Boosted2jz

TDI
Looking for one
Im not looking for something fancy if it is good but what i really want is something that if i maintain properly will last a really long time.

Last edited:

Boosted2jz

TDI
Looking for one
Found a 04 jetta tdi sport edition says clutch and turbo have been replace at some point and recently replace batterie and starter but still a starting probleme says it turns over really slow and wont start , im thinking its probably wiring issues not shure if i should take a chance on it its really clean car with 298 000km on it been for sale a while maybe i can get it cheap . What do you guys think ?

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
Chiming in with something nobody's mentioned so far - the Mk. 4 is available with 2 different TDI engines, the ALH (up to 2003), and the BEW (2004-2006). Note that the wagon stayed Mk. 4 to the end of the 2006 model year, while the sedan (and I believe the Golf) switched to Mk. 5 at the end of (can't recall which) the 2004 or 2005 model year. The ALH is a MUCH more desirable engine.

Also, if you're looking at the wagon, be aware that it was introduced to Canada (your info says you're in Canada) with the 2003 model. It was offered in the U.S. starting with the 2001 model (gas engines only), and in 2002 the TDI was added to its list of engines. DON'T EVEN THINK OF GETTING A 2002 WAGON! Last time I checked the government's list of modifications needed to bring various cars into Canada, the 2002 Jetta Wagon was listed as "Can't be imported" (I believe it was a rear bumper issue, since the rear bumper on U.S. models was changed to what was on the Canadian model at the beginning of the 2003 model year). Note that this "avoid 2002 wagons" issue applies ONLY to Canadians, since it's because of a Canadian import restriction.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
...while the sedan (and I believe the Golf) switched to Mk. 5 at the end of (can't recall which) the 2004 or 2005 model year. The ALH is a MUCH more desirable engine.
2005 was the last year for the MK4 TDI Jetta sedan, but the MK4 Golf TDI was sold up to 2006 in Canada.

I don't know where the OP is located in Canada, but out here on the east coast, MK4 TDI cars are getting really hard to find in good condition. They're still all over the place...but they're getting beat, especially the ALH cars.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
rwolff, if he buys an '02 Wagon in Canada to drive in Canada I don't think import restrictions matter. There aren't many '02 TDI Wagons around, anyway.

And the Golf was still a MKIV in '06. So was the NB. Both were sold in the US and Canada, where the '06 Wagon was Canada only.

Finding a good wagon at a reasonable price is a challenge. I'd agree with Rembrant and go for the something that isn't perfect, but can be brought back into good shape. I'd look for body and interior cosmetics first, especially no rust. Mechanical stuff is easier and less expensive to repair.

Boosted2jz

TDI
Looking for one
How hard is it to get VW tu honor there 12 years rust warranty ? Anybody got any opinions on the 2004 jetta ?

Last edited:

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
How hard is it to get VW tu honor there 12 years rust warranty ?
I guess it depends on where the rust is and how it started. I just went through this with a recently purchased '06 Jetta. The seller had already submitted a corrosion warranty claim on the car prior to me buying it. It was just approved a week ago and they tell me they're replacing both front fenders, both left and right rocker panels, repairing both quarter panels, and replacing the trunk lid. It looks like I'll have to pay for the two door panels that need to be replaced.

What I find odd is that the doors were rejected for warranty by the VW dealer as the rust was determined to be from regular "wear and tear". If I understand it correctly, when the dealer inspects the car there are certain items they can reject on the spot and not even submit to VW Corporate for warranty. Had I been there and owned the car at the time, I would have argued that part of the claim, at least a little bit.

It's not a big deal to me, and I'm not complaining as they are replacing much of the original steel anyway. I just have to wonder if the door replacements might have been covered under warranty had they been submitted in the first place.

It seems to me, in my limited experience, that VW is pretty good about it.

A good friend of mine just had something like $4800 worth of bodywork done on his '05 Jetta wagon, all under the corrosion warranty. I think they replaced all four doors and the hatch, but rejected the rust on the quarter panels.

Boosted2jz

TDI
Looking for one
I ask becsuse i found a 2004 tdi wagon with only 260 000 km very well equipe leather and sunroof etc... But the front fender and a little bit of the rockers are rusted and it needs a turbo the mechanical work i dont mind so much but the body work i have no clue and no cash to get someone else to do it so im kinda on the fence about it . And its more expensive then the jetta but with about 40 000km less on the odometer its tempting. But jetta has nicer body and turbo and clutch have allready been done .

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I bet it's more than 12 years old. Build date can be identified by VIN or on the driver's door pillar. Odds are it was assembled in late '03 or early '04. '04 production would have ended around June.

tophergrace

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
welcome, my advice is, when looking for something very specific you have to be willing to travel. I got super lucky on my tdi wagon but I knew I did and put a 1k downpayment on it the same night I heard about it(talk about giving up a poker face lol). FWIW there is a vw wagon owners club on FB and there are at least 3 tdi's on there I can think of right now. from 4-6k.

I have a 04 bew wagon, with new tb, new billet cam etc i'd let go for 7,500k. Why the high price? It's to hard to replace but for 7,500 I would

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
also to all the canadians I thought mk4 production ended in 09 up there? am i wrong?
Mk4 Chassis Jetta Sedan and Golf were sold up to 2010, but only with 2.0 Gas engines from 2007-up in the Golf, and 2006-up in the Jetta. TDI availability was the same as the US with the exception of the 2006 Jetta wagon as noted by IBW a couple posts above.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I ask becsuse i found a 2004 tdi wagon with only 260 000 km very well equipe leather and sunroof etc... But the front fender and a little bit of the rockers are rusted and it needs a turbo the mechanical work i dont mind so much but the body work i have no clue and no cash to get someone else to do it so im kinda on the fence about it . And its more expensive then the jetta but with about 40 000km less on the odometer its tempting. But jetta has nicer body and turbo and clutch have allready been done .
Hard to say, but if the car needs a turbo and bodywork, that's gonna cost a few bucks. As far as the turbo is concerned, that will eat up a lot of hundred dollar bills if you need to replace it. Then there's the timing belt and whatever other odds and ends need to be done. I'd personally be much more inclined to buy a car with an extra 40,000 kms and a good working turbo. JMTCW.

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
rwolff, if he buys an '02 Wagon in Canada to drive in Canada I don't think import restrictions matter. There aren't many '02 TDI Wagons around, anyway.
As I mentioned earlier, wagon was introduced in the U.S. as a 2001 model (gas only, TDI added for 2002), and in Canada as a 2003 model. If he buys an '02 wagon in Canada, it was imported illegally (most likely as "for parts"), since (last time I checked) it's import status was "Can't be imported". This was a warning for him that if he's looking for a a car in the States to bring back, don't touch the '02 wagon.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
This was a warning for him that if he's looking for a a car in the States to bring back, don't touch the '02 wagon.
The '02 TDI Wagon will be allowed into Canada very soon if not allowed already. If it's a car model that wasn't available or sold in Canada then it also cannot be imported. However, once the vehicle is 15 years old, then it is no problem. After 15 years, they bypass the whole RIV process which is what regulates vehicle imports from the US.

Last edited:

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Is there a way off telling if the cluster was changed or millage tampered with ?
Yes, but you'd need VCDS to do so. The ECU has its own odometer that is independent of the instrument cluster.

I personally wouldn't worry too much about incorrect mileage unless it is unusually low and the price is unusually low. High mileage and high prices are normal. Low mileage and low prices are not.:)

Boosted2jz

TDI
Looking for one
Can the bew cam problemes or maybe bad timing cause hard to start problemes like the one describe ? Can you tell what exactly is going on with the cam probs ? Google search has me thinking a bunch if differente things .