Golf brakes

Boobooo

TDI
Golf
Hi im a newbie so here is my problem

I have just put a used rear calliper on my golf ,
All fitted fine bled up ok , now when i put my hand brake on with out the foot brake pressed down it pulls up 4 clicks and holds well both sides .
When i press the footbrake down , my handbrake goes up 10 clicks and holds fine both sides
Brake fluid level is fine ,can anyone help

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
so what is the issue? you normally don't pull the e-brake when you are pressing the brakes, when you do this it means the pads are already squeezing the rotor tightly, and when you yank the e-brake its gotta go that distance to make up the slack and then tighter to apply pressure via that method.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
so what is the issue? you normally don't pull the e-brake when you are pressing the brakes, when you do this it means the pads are already squeezing the rotor tightly, and when you yank the e-brake its gotta go that distance to make up the slack and then tighter to apply pressure via that method.

Don't know about you but when parking, I always apply my parking before releasing the main brakes. This is good practice so you don't stress the transmission manual or automatic. I've never had to pull my ebrake handle more than 3 or 4 clicks hill .

Bajan

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Maybe the cable just needs to be adjusted? The adjuster is inside the console, so you have to remove all that plastic and the armrest to get at it.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Maybe the cable just needs to be adjusted? The adjuster is inside the console, so you have to remove all that plastic and the armrest to get at it.

You make it sound like it a hard job to remove all that plastic lol . 4 screws, 2 in front and 2 in rear of center console and if op has armrest 1 bolt holding that on . It's a simple job.

Bajan

Boobooo

TDI
Golf
Ok , the issue is this did not happen before i fitted the new calliper
The handbrake does go 4 clicks if the footbrake is used with out the foot brake .so why has this happened
Just to add i have now changed the calliper back to the origanal calliper and this one is now doing the same

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
If you can live with it a bit, I think it might go away over time.
The used caliper should have been checked to see that it moves in and out when the piston is rotated. If it doesn't, it won't allow the caliper to adjust itself.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
You make it sound like it a hard job to remove all that plastic lol . 4 screws, 2 in front and 2 in rear of center console and if op has armrest 1 bolt holding that on . It's a simple job.

Bajan
I didn't mean to make it sound hard. Of course it's easy.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
When I changed out my rear brakes it took multiple pulls on the e brake to ratchet the self adjusting mechanism tight. Maybe that's all it is.