CBEA to CJAA Engine Swap Problem - Thermostat

Combine17

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GTD
Hey guys.

so i have a 2009 CBEA jetta wagon. Had a blown engine so i picked up a low km CJAA engine from a 2013 jetta.

had to use the wiring harness from my blown CBEA since the harness on the new CJAA was all cut up.

Looks like the man problem i have is that the old CBEA engine used a thermostat housing with a sensor in there...which means it had a connector going to it.

Now that i put the new CJAA engine in the thermostat housing on that engine is different. Its a bigger housing and it doesnt use any connectors/coolant sensors in there. WHICH leaves me with a plug on the harness NOT PLUGGED into anything.

BTW. The driver side coolant flange DOES still have a CTS there on the CJAA engine and that plugged right in using the old CBEA engine harness.

what are my options here?

will it throw a CEL if i leave the thermostat housing plug unplugged?

Do i have to get a whole new CBEA thermostat housing/piping (old was damaged)

Is there a way to bypass that plug and plug it into something else?

thank you

Combine17

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GTD
just to clarify that post.

im suppose to grab the temp sensor from the CBEA thermostat housing.

also grab some extra coolant hose. shove the temp sensor into the coolant hose, put a clamp on it and intergrate the hose w/temp sensor around the CJAA thermostat housing - connecting it to current coolant hoses?

also. what is a "tee"

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
just to clarify that post.

im suppose to g. b the temp sensor from the CBEA thermostat housing.

also grab some extra coolant hose. shove the temp sensor into the coolant hose, put a clamp on it and intergrate the hose w/temp sensor around the CJAA thermostat housing - connecting it to current coolant hoses?

also. what is a "tee"

A tee is a T shaped fitting that gets clamped into the coolant hose. The coolant temp sensor gets plugged into the perpendicular portion of the fitting.

farnhamassoc

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta tdi, 09 TDI SPORTWAGEN 2011 Audi a3 TDI. VW caddy turbo diesel... Various vw split window busses
trick to change the terrible plastic thermostat on CJAA