MPG difference between DSG "Sport" mode versus "Drive" mode

roostre

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI DSG
Has anyone accurately calculated or have reliable estimates for the MPG difference between using the DSG in "Sport" mode versus "Drive" mode just during the types of driving where it would make a difference?

Too bad the EPA's "Fuel Economy Estimates" do not list the City and Highway MPG for both the Sport and Drive modes. That would be a helpful comparison. I'm assuming the 30 MPG City / 42 MPG Highway and 34 MPG Combined Fuel Economy estimates are for the Golf TDI when the DSG is in Drive mode.

I know I should test this myself for best results, but my wife now insists on driving the new Golf instead of our old pickup truck. She is also tired of me tagging along with her just so I can drive the TDI and does not want to keep track of the miles driven in the city versus on the highway. I do however always get the honor of filling the Golf with diesel and keep track of the gallons of fuel used. Since we are retired, we do not have a repeatable driving routine that could provide any accurate comparison between the two modes by just keeping track of the overall MPG for all of our driving.

The MPG should be the same on the Highway since in both modes the DSG will be using 6th gear. I prefer using Sport mode in the city, suburbs, and on hilly curvy terrain. It probably is not much of a monetary fuel penalty to use Sport mode all the time, but I can't help but wonder how much different the MPGs really will be during the conditions where it is not the same.

Using Sport mode instead of Drive mode also allows the vehicle to closely follow the "Rules that apply for the life of the car" listed in Drivbiwire's post concerning "Break-in" if your foot controls the application of the throttle correctly:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=252501

I normally keep the DSG in Drive mode and use the paddle shifter for an occasional downshift, but are considering keeping it in Sport mode unless there are any longevity or other issues I am not aware of (besides less overall MPG whatever that may be).

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

J'ville

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI w/Sunroof
Not positive, but experimenting a little with the sport mode, the trans never shifted out to 6th gear. Maybe I didn't achieve the higher speed required.
Since there are more rev's between shifts, obviously this is not the economic way to go. But great for mountain carving.