Engine Losing Coolant Rapidly

LubeITMan

TDI
2012 VW Passat 2.0 TDI SEL Premium
So yesterday I got the dash warning to check coolant levels. Sure enough the pressurized "death star" tank was empty. I filled it up to the line with coolant and had somewhere to drive...25 minutes later it was all gone again. So I started digging in.

I put the car up on some ramps and crawled underneath, pulled the plastic guard off the bottom of the engine, and there was coolant dripping from every bolt head down there all the way back to the rear tire on the frame rail on the passenger side.

The engine looked dry all over but obviously there's a leak somewhere. After a few hours of discovery, I THINK I have found the culprit...although I don't know for sure what it is, what it does, and how to get to it. There is a black tube behind the oil filter that sits between the filter housing and the block. The tube is metal and runs horizontal and parallel to the engine. From what I can see (which isn't much) the left side (passenger side) of that tube goes into a fitting and it appears loose. The water seems to be dripping from that area although I cannot see for sure where the water is originating. It may be on the bottom but at any rate it is in such a hard area to see that visibility is too limited.

I think my next steps are to pull the intercooler off and see if that opens things up a bit so I can get in there to that area. The problem with that is that I will have to break the coolant system which will take away my ability to test or locate the leak because I won't be able to pressurize the coolant system.

Has anyone ever fought this battle? Looking for some advice here.

LubeITMan

TDI
What size are the bolts on the oil filter housing that has those triple square heads? A 6mm is too small and the 8mm won’t quite fit in and lock. Thinking I’ll need a 7mm maybe. Don’t have one so trying to measure twice and buy once!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
M8, had to tap in to fit all the way into the bolt head.

LubeITMan

TDI
Yep those look identical to the ones I have.
And this is one of the bolts circled in the picture.

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
That does not look like the bolts, there are 4 total, 2 at the very bottom of the housing, and the one one the left is right above where the dipstick was mounted to the housing.
Check the bottom ones to see if it is the same size as that one as that looks much smaller that the ones on mine.

LubeITMan

TDI
That’s the same ones. The locations match what you describe. Maybe the picture just makes them appear smaller.

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Also the torque specs are:
1. Tighten to 14 Nm, in a diagonal sequence.
2. Tighten an additional 90° (1/4) turn in a diagonal sequence.

LubeITMan

TDI
Thanks for the information. I’ll give this another try tomorrow.

LubeITMan

TDI
Well it’s the oil filter housing alright. Attaching photos to show the failed area.

bustNfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold: 13 Passat SEL TDI
Thanks for following up with your findings, and the image of the problem area on the part!