Sleeping in a VW wagon???

timdelatorre

TDI
none
So... here's the thing, I'm liking what I see with the TDI fuel economy and design, but I'm curious if it's possible for someone 6' to fold down the seats in a wagon and actually sleep semi comfortably in one.

I want something I can use to travel around with my wife. Put some top boxes on the thing and sleep in the back. I have an Isuzu Trooper that does that... thing is, it gets 16mpg.

Is the Passat Wagon or Jetta Wagon in any year or style something that could do that? Or is there any other vehicle that gets good gas mileage that could do that?

I figured you'd be the folks to ask....

~Tim

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Why don't you simply get a hotel and be out of risk of death of you and your wife ,since car has to be running all time while you sleapping and carbon monoxide can kill you!!!!!!!!

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I could sleep there by myself at a bit of an angle. I'm about 5'11. I doubt my wife would find it comfortable with both of us there, but we're not in our twenties any more. If you're young, give it a go. I wouldn't try it if i needed heat all night long, but a good sleeping bag and a window slightly opened to get the moisture out would be fine. I've done that many times in my previous Saab hatchbacks. Have fun!

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Guess what Jetta, 97... you are going to have to come up with a better reason they can't sleep in the car. Diesels don't make carbon monoxide.

Havokk

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
its do able if you have to. im not sure though for long term traveling. I know after a long day of traveling i willing to fork over the 25-50 bucks for some horrible motel room, as long as it has a bed and something resembling a lock on the door im a happy camper.

The monoxide isnt a problem as the amout put out is almost non exsistent and no where near life threating. I would be more worried about getting smacked by some other driver while sleeping (depending on where u pull off) or some wierdos peering in.

John96895

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Black
If it were me, (because I've also thought about this) I might look at the Chevy HHR panel truck. I saw one recently, there are no windows for privacy, and I believe they get good mileage. I don't mean to steer you away from VW, just a thought, based on your criteria. And keeping the "weirdos" at bay!!

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MKIV 2000, 2003, and MKV 2006 PD DSG
Franko6 said:
Guess what Jetta, 97... you are going to have to come up with a better reason they can't sleep in the car. Diesels don't make carbon monoxide.
+2 to Frank haha

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
I'm 6'0" and when I inflate my air mattress, I can almost fully stretch out in the back of my b4v, of course with the seats folded down, all the luggage piled to the side and plastic taped to the windows.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
if those flappers hidden behind the rear bumper are closed , there is no danger of carbon monoxide making it into the car

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
jetta said:
Why don't you simply get a hotel and be out of risk of death of you and your wife ,since car has to be running all time while you sleapping and carbon monoxide can kill you!!!!!!!!
Okay mom :rolleyes:

Why does the car have to running while you're sleeping? I've slept in my Jetta many times, all seasons too (I've done security for a few years, you know!). Also, on long trips, I've been so tired on the return trip I've pulled into a Walmart parking lot and passed out, to wake up 7 hours later feeling nice and rested. No need to get a hotel if you're comfortable sleeping in your vehicle! It can become a little cold in winter, but a few blankets and you're straight.

Even in the Jetta sedan you can remove the bottom of the rear seats and put them in the front of the car, fold down the back of the rear seats and if gives you enough room to sleep comfortably. Would I want to do it every day? Heck no, but when I do, it really seems like the sleep I get in my car is much more rejuvinating than even at home.

Last edited:

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
Well if you are traveling in CA then the cold wont be a problem. If you came over to my area your would die in your car over night without some other kind of heat. Diesels just don't stay warm while idling. Right now it is -1F with a high today of 27F. Tomorrow it is going to warm up to 31F.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Franko6 said:
You are right . It was late last night and I did not pay attention . You new what I wanted to say.I wanted to write "poison from exhaust " can kill you, as I know some cases is Europe.
And other thing we know TDI should not run on idle.

Last edited:

timdelatorre

TDI
none
hmm

Thanks guys, interesting... ya, I know I asked the question in the middle of winter. I forgot to say I don't plan sleeping in the back of my car in the winter, lol.

When I do road trips, I travel places where there are often friends we can stay with, but there's sometimes several days where we have to make camp and it would be so much easier to just sleep in a car if possible. Less things we have to bring like a tent or tarp and less setup time.

I guess I'll just have to look at some of them in person. Do all the different years have pretty much the same inside space from 1999 on for wagons?

Nico3d3

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2001
Want to sleep in your car? Just ask Dieseleux, he's been doing it for quite a long time and he's riding an MK3 jetta.

shagin'wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora
Get a Bus or Vanagon. Hightops are kewl (I got one, but pop tops are alright too) and you can't beat the neat/retro factor.:D Much more room than the Wagon too.;)

FL/COtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Even in the Jetta sedan you can remove the bottom of the rear seats and put them in the front of the car, fold down the back of the rear seats and if gives you enough room to sleep comfortably.
Or you can remove the bottom of the rear seats and fold the front seats almost totally flat. One of these days I will try to take the cushion from my futon and slip it in the back of the wagon and store everything on top with a cage rack. Then a friend and I will drive everywhere warm without a hotel room:cool:
Patrick

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
__. I'm 6'1 and I used to sleep in the back of my '02 sedan very comfortably. I put a piece of foam (there is a step where the seat backs fold down and you need to shim up the trunk floor about 1"). You need to put the front passenger seat forward; I put an accordeon case in the "footwell" but you probably would need some other filler.

__. The '03 wagon is even better. But you need to completely remove the rear seat bottom cushions; they're held in by a couple of pins, remove the plastic covers and the pins will slide right out. And you still need something to put in the rear floorwell.

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I know it's pre-TDI, but I slept in the back of my B2 Passat (Quantum) wagon quite frequently on trips, and it was very comfortable for a 6'2" guy like me.

I wouldn't have wanted to share it with anyone (Well, certainly not anyone I wouldn't want to share any other, ahh, intimate spacing with) but it was alright. And the newer cars are bigger than the older 80's wagons.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
Lefty said:
If you came over to my area your would die in your car over night without some other kind of heat. Diesels just don't stay warm while idling. Right now it is -1F with a high today of 27F. Tomorrow it is going to warm up to 31F.
I have been camping in much colder weather, and survived just fine.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
TurbinePower said:
I know it's pre-TDI, but I slept in the back of my B2 Passat (Quantum) wagon quite frequently on trips, and it was very comfortable for a 6'2" guy like me.
... And the newer cars are bigger than the older 80's wagons.
I don't know, I've seen those Quantum wagons and they are incredibly roomy. I'm not sure that the newer ones have more room.

Putz-in-Boots

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagon
I'm a little late to the party here but I just got a sweet setup. I'm a newer Jetta Sportwagen TDI owner and I'm used to going on long road trips all over Washington State and into the Southwest. I just went to IKEA and bought a nice twin size foam mattress (comes with a washable cover). The mattress fits perfect side to side, it's a bit long in the length but if needed I could trim the foam down. I'm nearly 6'2" and I just tried the setup out and with a bit of tucking, I'll be nice and comfy. I've got all kinds of camping gear for cold weather backpacking so staying warm is not an issue.

Hopefully this link to the photo works:

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
could you give me the dimensions left to right from to back on that? I'll be heading to Ikea (there are none close to me) if it's good for my 2003 Jettawagon. I've slept in mine a number of times - same as you on long road trips. If I'm alone, I can't see any reason to get a motel room and risk bed bugs. I'd rather sleep with the car I love ;)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
With the seats folded down, the cargo space is not flat. So I would recommend making it flat with some 1/4" or 3/8" plywood and something underneath to raise the floor in the hatch area. Then maybe a foam pad and a sleeping bag.

I know some people have constructed a more permanent/durable solution, but I don't see the point since it cuts into the cubic footage of the cargo area.

Putz-in-Boots

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagon
TR, the cargo area in my TDI does fold flat. The seat sections do need to be folded up and out of the way and the headrests removed (a bit of a pain) so the back seat sections can be folded flat. The instructions are right in the owner's manual. The area is definintely flat and there is no need for any shims.

fase...the foam mattress I got is the Sultan Fonnes. The dimensions are:
Length: 74 3/8 "
Width: 38 1/4 "
Thickness: 4 3/4 " (nice and comfy)

The mattress runs $149.

As you can see it's a bit long but that's OK. I tend to curl up anyway.

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
TR, the cargo area in my TDI does fold flat. The seat sections do need to be folded up and out of the way and the headrests removed (a bit of a pain) so the back seat sections can be folded flat. The instructions are right in the owner's manual. The area is definintely flat and there is no need for any shims.

fase...the foam mattress I got is the Sultan Fonnes. The dimensions are:
Length: 74 3/8 "
Width: 38 1/4 "
Thickness: 4 3/4 " (nice and comfy)

The mattress runs $149.

As you can see it's a bit long but that's OK. I tend to curl up anyway.
Thank you for the prompt reply. Now I just have to measure the interior of my wagon. I'm mostly concerned about the width.

Thank you,
Jeremy

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
So... here's the thing, I'm liking what I see with the TDI fuel economy and design, but I'm curious if it's possible for someone 6' to fold down the seats in a wagon and actually sleep semi comfortably in one.

I want something I can use to travel around with my wife. Put some top boxes on the thing and sleep in the back. I have an Isuzu Trooper that does that... thing is, it gets 16mpg.

Is the Passat Wagon or Jetta Wagon in any year or style something that could do that? Or is there any other vehicle that gets good gas mileage that could do that?

I figured you'd be the folks to ask....

~Tim
Sounds like people after my own heart. I have traveled all over the States sleeping in my car. My only problem is I have a Jetta. I travel light with just my-self and camping gear.(for use when I get to where I am going). I find that I can fit a short back backers pad from the trunk to the front seat but it is a bit tight, I normally just stop for 5-6 hours (midnight to 5-6 am) them head out for another hour before getting breakfast. I try to sleep at rest area's that have a police presents also. In the early days I would throw the bedroll out on the ground next to the car and sleep there. I did have police sometimes check me out and if you leave you keys anywhere near the front of the car they can get a bit testy. I leave my keys in the trunk under the rear wheel area. Once I get to where I am going I will set up camp and spend as much time as I can at the place where I was going. Been to the Grand Canyon 5-6 times this way. I am just under 6 foot and i do wish I had bought a Jetta Wagon which would have made things a lot more comfortable, Anyway good luck with your trips I think with a litle work you could have a nice place to get some short naps while saving you money or the place you are headed.
You can get free showers are truck stops and eat pratty cheap also.