I need VAG-COM help in Chicagoland

gee_dubya

TDI
1999.5 Jetta, Black
I have been struggling to figure out a couple of problems that have plagued me since I bought my 99.5 Jetta TDI in May.

The first one is a hard starting issue. If the car is hot it starts harder than when cold. Over 5 seconds of cranking if hot, about 2 seconds when cold.

Also, I have a strange idling problem. When I am coasting to a stop with the car out of gear (manual transmission), the engine idles rough. As soon as I stop (actually right before I stop completely) it idles fine. While Deafbug was doing my TB change I had another guy check my IQ setting and adjust it since it was out of spec. This fixed this problem up until about 2 weeks ago when it came back.

Can anyone help? I live in Bartlett and work in Glenview and would drive to meet someone that can help with this problem.

So far this is what I've replaced:
Battery, air filter, fuel filter, Deluxe TB (performed by Deafbug), MAF, relay 109, coolant temp sensor, fuel temp sensor, and fuel filter tee.

Anyone interested in helping, please PM me.

Thanks in advance,
Galen

tdi_allan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 2003 Jetta Sedan (Lemons racer), 2010 Touareg
Galen, if you can spare time this evening, some of the local IL/WI TDI crew will be up in Kenosha at the Brat Stop for our monthly GTG. I am sure at least one person will have VAG-COM with them, not to mention the added bonus of the group's collective wisdom, plus a brat and a beer afterwards.

My off-the-wall guess at your idling problem: something to do with either the brake light switch, the accelerator pedal, or an iffy MAF (they can go bad fairly quickly if they get dirty.) Looks like you took care of the usual suspects. Don't take that diagnosis to a competent mechanic or anything, its just a guess...

Hope we see you tonight at the GTG. If you can't make it, I might be able to help out - I'm in the city and don't get out your way too often, but I think I could find my way there if no one closer is able to help.

gee_dubya

TDI
1999.5 Jetta, Black
Thanks for the invite. What time do you normally meet at the Brat Shop? I'm not going to be free tonight until after 9-10 o'clock. Unfortunately I will be working late tonight. I normally get out around 5 though. Maybe we could meet up some time. Other than when Deafbug did my TB, haven't met up with any other local TDIer's.

tdi_allan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 2003 Jetta Sedan (Lemons racer), 2010 Touareg
We usually meet in the 6 - 6:30 timeframe. Not sure how that works for November and December, as holiday commitments keep most of the group busy on the 4th Thursday of those months. I would imagine that the next Brat Stop GTG will be in January.

I might be able to head out your way on Saturday morning, if that is convenient for you (and someone closer with VAG-COM doesn't step up to the plate in the meantime.)

ChristopherC

Veteran Member
TDI
04 NB TDI PD
I'm coming to tonight's GTG and am bringing my VAGCOM.

If gee_dubya is unable to make it tonight I live in Wheaton. I'm a VAGCOM noob however I have no problem whatsoever meeting you guys in Bartlett anytime this weekend.

gee_dubya

TDI
1999.5 Jetta, Black
I really appreciate you guys stepping up and volunteering. Since I have to work all day Saturday, the only time I will have free this weekend is Sunday afternoon. If it would work better, I dont have a problem waiting until next week. I work in Glenview so if I need to meet someone in the city after work, I'm fine with that. If that sounds like it would work, PM me and we'll set something up.

Once again, thanks.