www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old July 27th, 2018, 12:19   #1
Rchrisman13

Exclamation 2004 Beetle Upgrades

hello everyone, sorry im pretty new to these little diesels. I have a 04 beetle all stock with the 1.9tdi and a 5spd. a few questions.

1. if I bump up the power at all, do I need a new clutch?

2. whats the most hp or mods I can do and not loose the reliability? I bought to car to keep from putting miles on my 2018 ram mega cab dually

3. what is the motor / body style of this year? I see all kinds of names ahl or vkIII or whatever im so lost lol.

4. what best programmer, website for parts in the usa? I live in texas.

5. when modding like bigger turbo, injectors etc, do these cars need better internals or headstuds? ie: forged pistons, rods cranks etc?
Rchrisman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2018, 18:15   #2
Yourbuddysatin
Veteran Member

Answers

1. No and yes, Depend on the upgrades and condition of the existing clutch.
2. Figure out your power goal and you will have to do supporting mods to sustain reliability.
3.alh is the engine code but in a 04 better I would think is a pump deuse, mk4 platform is what an 04 better would be on.
4. We use tunes not programmers like trucks have. Malone kerma rocketchip to name a few.
5. Headstuds can’t hurt even a stock engine in my opinion. Tdis can take a good bit of power upgrades with stock internals.

Figure out what power you are looking to make then one of the tuners above will tell you what you need to get to your goal. Hope that helps.
Yourbuddysatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2018, 19:04   #3
flee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

Just guessing that a US beetle from 04 possibly has a BEW PD engine, but there are a number of variations.
I am sure that it isn't an ALH, though.
Old July 27th, 2018, 19:15   #4
Rchrisman13

I would like to be somewhere I would think in the 200hp range. I have a 1200+rwhp diesel truck, a stock diesel truck, a tuned eco diesel half ton and about 600rwhp 01 diesel that I tow with.

I don't want to lose the reliability of this little bug. but I know when modding you lose some.

what is a good website to look at for the parts for such? like injectors, nozzels, turbos, tuners, clutch upgrades etc?

do they make bigger injection pumps? or run dual pumps? my 06 has 1-85% over cp3 and another stock cp3.

sorry for all the newb questions, I just want to make sure I know what motor and injectrs, injection pump I have so I don't buy the wrong parts.

will the stock fuel / lift pump work with 200hp or do they offer an aftermarket lift pump?
Old July 27th, 2018, 19:54   #5
Yourbuddysatin
Veteran Member

Get in contact with a tuner and they will guide you to whatever mods you will need for the goal of 200hp. Be prepared to drop some cash for that kind of a gain.
Old July 27th, 2018, 20:54   #6
Rchrisman13

that's what im asking, what tuners? do they have a website or something I can look thru parts?

cash im not too worried about, these things are wayyyyy cheaper then the 130k I have my 06 that runs low 10's on 35s making 100+ lbs of boost
Old July 28th, 2018, 02:43   #7
Yourbuddysatin
Veteran Member

I stated them above already.

Malonetuning.com
Kermatdi.com
Rocketchip.com

Everything must be bigger in Texas.
Old July 28th, 2018, 10:06   #8
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

And don't forget TDTuning.com, Mike is a well known tuner for years around here. IIRC, PD motors are expensive to hot rod past a certain point, HP wise. With just a tune the PD motor will make 157 whp, and 269 ft. lb. of wheel torque; this is a huge jump in power up from stock; to get above this you need nozzles and a larger turbo.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Baldwin Fuel Filter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2018, 10:23   #9
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Rookie mistake - "I need to make xxxHP". Each car and engine is different.

I would say you can make a serious improvement with just a tune (see post #7 and #8).

Beyond that on a PD a turbo is probably next. After that you start doing supporting upgrades like bigger/better I/C and plumbing. From there you move up to swapping intakes and injectors to support more air and fuel flow (so you can run bigger turbo and tunes).

I don't think transfer pump or lift pump are restricting you until this point.

I did a RC 1 (2?) on my PD Golf and hit EGT limits and air temperature limits only when pulling a couple thousand lbs up a long hill during summer. Software only, no hardware, and it was plenty fast and needed an upgraded clutch. Lasted about 150k miles before accident totaled the car.

Start with making sure it's running it's best first, then maybe start with an aggressive tune and see how much more you want.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2018, 10:28   #10
PB_NB
Veteran Member

Looking forward to see what you do with the Beetle!
1999 New Beetle TDI - Bosio 1019's, Malone S4, Skid Plate, Neuspeed Sway Bars, KW V2, 19's BBS-CH, Spyder LED's, EGR Delete, VF Mounts, South Bend Clutch, B&M Shift Kit, VNT17, Custom Side Mount Intercooler, HPA Big Brakes 355mm Ft/335mm Rr, 2.5" Custom SS Straight Through Exhaust, Colt Stage 2 Cam, 3 Bar Map.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2018, 11:28   #11
Rchrisman13

I was shooting 200hp out there as a number. I wont drop a ton of money into this as ive already built several diesel hotrods

do the make a similar size turbo, that isn't a variable vane? I keep getting the p0234 overboost code, and id just like to get rid of all the variations of vacuum hoses, n75 regulator etc.

are head studs required to run just a tune?
Old July 29th, 2018, 11:32   #12
Rchrisman13

the only reason I would like some extra power, is the car is a turd in 4th and 5th gear. if the hill is remotely steep the car will loose a few mph.

I do realize a tune will make 34-50hp with is a huge jump compared to the 100hp stock it makes. ive done the exhaust already, now id like to tear all the egr crap off so I don't have to clean the intake constantly.

sorry for the semi dumb questions but do they come with a factory intercooler? if so where is it located?
Old July 29th, 2018, 11:45   #13
PB_NB
Veteran Member

I did ARP head studs in my ALH as I have the boost turned up and didn't want to be concerned with the head leaking pressure or fluids. I am not to sure about BEW engine that you should have in the 2004.

The intercooler is a side mounted unit in front of the passenger front wheel. I drilled a bunch of holes in my plastic fender liner to encourage better airflow and got a larger custom side mount unit installed.

I have dyno numbers of 160hp and 310 torque after all the things I did. The car moves very well even when towing the RV trailer. You can get close to these numbers with much less work and should enjoy to boost in power!
1999 New Beetle TDI - Bosio 1019's, Malone S4, Skid Plate, Neuspeed Sway Bars, KW V2, 19's BBS-CH, Spyder LED's, EGR Delete, VF Mounts, South Bend Clutch, B&M Shift Kit, VNT17, Custom Side Mount Intercooler, HPA Big Brakes 355mm Ft/335mm Rr, 2.5" Custom SS Straight Through Exhaust, Colt Stage 2 Cam, 3 Bar Map.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2018, 12:02   #14
Rchrisman13

That’s what I’d like to do enjoy a fun little car
Old July 30th, 2018, 12:38   #15
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

The VNT works great for drive ability, not so much for max power. But a good tune and get rid of that KP39 turbo (for maybe a 17/22 hybrid?) should make you grin.

BTW - I had such issue with wheel spin I ran 18" GTI wheels to help traction in 1st & 2nd gear. But I hear ya - little more of a dog up in 5th. But then I had no issue pulling my Camper up marked grades in 5th and holding speed. It's about 2000lbs and see PB_NB for idea of size.

Sounds like the Texas heat is coming into play and you need to drop intake temperatures. Maybe include larger IC sooner in your upgrade list.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote