www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old November 16th, 2017, 20:43   #1
mrmoto35
Veteran Member

Default Billet Compressor Wheel - GTB2260VK

Does anyone know where I can get quality comp wheel for my GTB2260VK?

Thank you!
mrmoto35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 22:42   #2
Macradiators.com
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2.0 CR 300hp

Your turbo builder should be able to supply it. Doing it yourself?
turbo-upgrade.com has them in stock , otherwise Majesty78

Last edited by Macradiators.com; November 16th, 2017 at 23:34.
Macradiators.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2017, 12:22   #3
mrmoto35
Veteran Member

I have already spoken with Z-Turbo e.U.and they suggested I try to find a builder here in the USA to do work on my turbo as shipping and customs would drive the cost too high. I would have to send it to a builder as I do not have the equipment nor the knowledge/experience to do the balancing. I was hoping to find a top notch wheel and then a builder to do the work.

Last edited by mrmoto35; November 17th, 2017 at 12:39.
Old November 17th, 2017, 13:13   #4
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

Turbo lab america.com they custom built my hybrid turbo and they've done a lot of other people I know of as well. They are very busy last time I checked so their turnaround time could be 5 or 6 weeks
2001 Jetta GL TDI, 35/15% Tint, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, Stage 4 TDTuning, PP764's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2017, 15:22   #5
mrmoto35
Veteran Member

I called Turbo Lab and the guy I spoke to was a little unsure of which turbo I was inquiring about so he had me send pictures of the turbo. We are going into the holidays here in the US so I do not expect to get a whole lot done before years end and that's fine. The emissions issue put everything on hold for so long that a little longer makes no difference.
Old November 17th, 2017, 22:03   #6
mrmoto35
Veteran Member

Turbo Lab responded after looking closely at the pictures and numbers on the turbo. Response was

"think that turbo already the largest turbine which is 46.6 by 50. The compressor wheel can be upgraded pretty large though"

That sounds like they probably need to get a better look at the GTB2260VK specs
Old November 17th, 2017, 22:09   #7
mrmoto35
Veteran Member

This is what I what I heard regarding a GTB2260VK upgrade that Z-Turbo e.U. offers. But as I stated before I am in the US so this upgrade is cost prohibitive. The following is literally copy/pasted from the guy that recommended the Z-Turbo e.U. upgrade

"available nice upgrade for this turbo - the new designed turbine shaft which are increasing the flow(+20-30hp) and due to lightweight have much better spool and throttle reaction compared to the stock shaft."

Now if those kinds of numbers were true I have to say it may be worth the cost to ship to Europe and back from the US. I just do not know though, +20-30hp sounds optimistic

Last edited by mrmoto35; November 19th, 2017 at 16:21.
Old November 18th, 2017, 00:03   #8
Macradiators.com
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2.0 CR 300hp

Z Turbo only works on new or Garrett reman. turbos, he doesnt work on used ones, so keep this in mind. Maybe he changes idea soon
He has good stuff (very light turbine wheel).

My US clients dont pay customs, its just a matter of shipping cost. 10kg from Ro to US is about 80-90$
Old November 18th, 2017, 12:36   #9
mrmoto35
Veteran Member

My turbo is brand new
Old November 19th, 2017, 10:16   #10
fergyp

Could buy a billet wheel off ebay and get it balanced by a turbo builder , https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/MFS-60mm-11...-/292310613747
fergyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2017, 11:26   #11
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

I must have misread your original post, post#1 asks about a comp(ressor) wheel, and the subject changes to turbine wheels and shafts. Or was the comment in post#6 an attack on Turbo Lab America?
2001 Jetta GL TDI, 35/15% Tint, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, Stage 4 TDTuning, PP764's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2017, 14:09   #12
majesty78
Veteran Member

TDI(s): VW Polo ASZ
Fuel Economy: 30mpg

Hy Gordon, I already replied to you on Facebook Message.

Maybe I can recommend you or help you finding someone local, I have seen now you are in Cypress CA and will reply to you as soon as I have something for you.
Old November 19th, 2017, 15:50   #13
mrmoto35
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada_TDI View Post
I must have misread your original post, post#1 asks about a comp(ressor) wheel, and the subject changes to turbine wheels and shafts. Or was the comment in post#6 an attack on Turbo Lab America?
No no please do not take offense, I was not attacking Turbo Lab. I was in a hurry and did not elaborate. In fact I will try to get back to them tomorrow. Let me explain so everyone can see where I am coming from and it may possibly help in the long run...

I will start with this, I am sure it is obvious I am no Subject Matter Expert.

I have another thread here regarding the purchase of a tubular manifold. I spoke to a European fabricator online who makes a tubular for my car and in our chat he recommended Z-Turbo's upgrade. As stated that upgrade looks to be cost prohibitive, and a friend who sold me the turbo told me he did not know of a turbine upgrade that could be sourced here in the US, but he had said that I should be able to find a billet compressor wheel for it. So I had kind of given up on a turbo upgrade like Z Turbo offers and posted this thread regarding the comp wheel. Although I will say this, now that I have given it more thought, if the turbine upgrade Z Turbo offers is a recent discovery and therefore not common knowledge yet here in the US, and those kind of hp numbers mentioned can be realized, I would gladly pay 290.00 Euro plus the expensive shipping cost to do it.

I called Turbo Lab Friday and the gentlemen I spoke with did not sound all to familiar with the specific turbo/application I was inquiring about so he asked me to text him some pics and the numbers off the turbo itself. That is totally understandable, this application is not exactly mainstream here in the US, and/or it may not be a one man shop. If I had asked about a gas app instead of diesel I bet he would have been all over it...Or maybe it is under new ownership maybe? Their website lists them in Austin Texas but the gentlemen told me they are in Virginia. I told him that I had heard what you posted about yourself and others on a forum having had some work done by Turbo Lab that and that did not seem to ring a bell with him so that is why I brought up the possibility of new ownership.

So while I had him on the phone I mentioned that I had heard that there is a turbine upgrade offered in Europe for this turbo and could he please look into that as well. He did get back to me a little later via text and said he thinks the turbo "already has the largest turbine which is 46.6x50 but the compressor wheel can be upgraded pretty large though". And of course all this took place late Friday afternoon, on a weekend that precedes a week many folks take off of work, as I have done. I would not expect someone to start looking closely at my inquiry in that scenario.

I am looking forward to hopefully speaking with him tomorrow. I am thinking he will have more info then. But it is the holidays and as you have said they may be very busy so I am going to be patient and see what happens.

And thank you for the referral!
Old November 19th, 2017, 16:11   #14
mrmoto35
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesty78 View Post
Hy Gordon, I already replied to you on Facebook Message.

Maybe I can recommend you or help you finding someone local, I have seen now you are in Cypress CA and will reply to you as soon as I have something for you.
Hi yes I just now found your message. Thank you so much that is very kind of you!
Old November 19th, 2017, 16:15   #15
mrmoto35
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyp View Post
Could buy a billet wheel off ebay and get it balanced by a turbo builder , https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/MFS-60mm-11...-/292310613747
Yes thank you I am looking at that as an option as well. I have been reading threads here for hours on end trying to learn all I can about this. I have read about the 6+6 vs 11 blade wheel and I am still not sure which may be best for my setup.