European Cluster - Lamp failure light

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
greekdubber said:
also has anyone activate more options in the FIS/DIS menu ie:telephone,radio whateverelse can be pulled up with vag-tacho,vds-pro
That stuff is active as soon as you've wired up the data/clock/enable. I have it in my car. I've wired in a bluetooth to the factory mute & +/- on my Navi. It shows up as phone on the cluster:

s1iver

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 GTI GLX VR6
i've got a cluster that can't be read properly by VagTacho, has anybody been able to read the SKC from a data dump off the cluster?

greekdubber

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 C55 AMG 2003 V6 24V BDF
so I figured to get the ALWR failure working......you hook up pins off your headlight plug T12a/9 and T12b/9 to T32a/21 green on your cluster,but not sure about ALWR coding if leave it or I'm thinking change it to coding for Sharan which I think is 00001 - Golf Fronttrak
00002 - Golf 4 Motion
00003 - Bora Fronttrak
00004 - Bora 4 Motion
00005 - Standard*sharan

Last edited:

greekdubber

Veteran Member
TDI
If an electrical fault occurs in the automatic headlight range control whilst driving, the headlights will remain in this position, for serious faults the warning lamp will light up whilst driving.
If the vehicle is restarted, the positioning motors remain in the last correct position and the warning lamp in the dash panel is switched on.
This will alert the driver that there is a fault.
To fault find initiate self-diagnosis and retrieve the stored information with the fault reader V.A.G 1551.
The gas discharge lamps are also capable of self-diagnosis. If a fault is detected in the gas discharge lamp system the warning lamp is switched on.
This will alert the driver that there is a fault....................also while doing an output test it will show the warning lamp in the FIS.............. Bora/Golf/Sharan

titou43

TDI
TDI 130 4Motion
hello
is it possible to activate the function "lamp failure lamp" on the tachometer 1J0920846C only with the message "lamp failure"

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32
Well....further to this.

Finally have car fully wired for Bulb Monitor...major job.:eek:

When the cluster was tested on the bench with the new hex values, the Brake Failure warning cancelled okay when the pin was earthed.

I know I still have to solder a diode to the board to cancel the lights warning.

But...when installed in the car now...BOTH warnings come up when I start the car.:confused:

Yes, all the brake lights work okay.

I have Blue Pin 6 (lights warning) and Pin 16 (brakes warning) connected, and I also connected Green 21 for the headlights in due course.

So I am a bit stumped at the moment as to why.

Any ideas?

PassatV6

TDI
None, but someday....
I have a 2000 B5 Passat and am looking to do this mod. I do not have CAN-bus, so where would the connection to the cluster take place?

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
The Bulb Monitor has nothing to do with any CANBUS connections.

It is just a relay that is hardwired to a couple of the cluster pins.

You will also need the ability to recode the hex values in your cluster somehow for it to work.

PassatV6

TDI
None, but someday....
OK, thanks, but the wiring for Passats is different for CAN-Bus, and non-CAN-bus vehicles. My car has a different wire connection at pin 21, where the connection is for the warning; what I want to know is where it is supposed to connect on my cluster. I only have US wiring diagrams, so I cannot research this.

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
A US Passat cluster may not even be able to do it anyway.

All the stuff I have seen refers to the Euro clusters.

I only say this because I have seen inside a US R32 cluster and there are quite a few bits missing compared to my Euro cluster e.g. trailer lamp LED; Rear Fog LED; the diode on Pin 6 Blue which is used for one of the bulb monitor connections and the diode on Pin 21 Green (headlight motor) at least, to name a few.

Check these threads for more Passat info:

http://www.passat3b.de/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=81317&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

http://www.gti-tdi.de/board2/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=3898&pageNo=1

PassatV6

TDI
None, but someday....
My US Passat cluster, P/N 3B0 920 920 does not have the Trailer, Cruise, Immobilizer, or Rear seat back warning LED's on the board. I do have the rear fog though. It seems as though I will have to wait for a Full-FIS cluster to have this cool feature.

PassatV6

TDI
None, but someday....
There is no location for a lamp check diode, where it should be is the washer fluid level lamp. I have the half-FIS cluster, do you think it would just show up there?

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
There is mention of some attempt to get the Bulb Monitor to work on an MFA in that German thread..but they have the lamp position on the Euro clusters.

I don't think it has been done on an MFA yet.

:(

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
I today unplugged the Bulb Monitor Relay and directly earthed the Pin 3 at the relay plate (=KB) which is wire from Pin 16 on cluster.

BRAKE warning cancelled in cluster!

So if you directly earth Pin 16 from cluster the warning cancels but NOT if you have signal earthed thru Bulb Monitor Relay! (even though all the brake lights are okay (2 x 21 W + LED Hi level...and yes I have connected LED brakes to Pin 16/54H on relay)

Have I missed something?

Surely you do not need to alter the Bulb Monitor Relay internally as well somehow????

greekdubber

Veteran Member
TDI
graeme86 said:
I today unplugged the Bulb Monitor Relay and directly earthed the Pin 3 at the relay plate (=KB) which is wire from Pin 16 on cluster.

BRAKE warning cancelled in cluster!

So if you directly earth Pin 16 from cluster the warning cancels but NOT if you have signal earthed thru Bulb Monitor Relay! (even though all the brake lights are okay (2 x 21 W + LED Hi level...and yes I have connected LED brakes to Pin 16/54H on relay)

Have I missed something?

Surely you do not need to alter the Bulb Monitor Relay internally as well somehow????
you ever get around to hooking up the ALWR like I said to the cluster to see if you get it to display in the FIS?

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Just need to run wires around engine bay to headlights.

When I pulled out Xenons yesterday to change the parklight bulb and fix one of the height adjustment motors (wasn't engaging or something after I hit a massive pothole), I noticed that all twelve pins inside the Xenon are already wired up fully, so just adding the monitoring wires should work give the signal to the cluster okay (seeing as they are the same as Sharan).

Interestingly VAGCOM did not show a fault for height adjuster as the motor itself still worked, just wasn't engaging the headlight reflectors or something, so light did not go up/down during output test.

Looking forward to getting it all running.:)

Still can't get brakelight warning to cancel, even though it worked on the bench! Just doesn't work in car when earthing through the (brand new!) Bulb Monitor Relay :mad:

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Still looking at this Brake Light Warning issue in Golf installation.

The Golf High Level LED has 18 LEDs. The housing says 12V 3W.

I found a pic on the ECS website of one of the brakelights used in Audi (#4B9945097A) which is used in conjunction with this Bulb Monitor Relay on A6 C5 Avant. This housing has 13.7V 2.7W marked on it.

It appears there maybe only 12 actual LED's in this housing...I found a pic of an A6 Avant with the brakelights on and you can clearly only see 12 lightpoints :rolleyes:

On the other hand the TT housings seem to have about 21 LEDs (haven't found any information on power consumption yet).

Maybe the Bulb Monitor Relay is sensitive enough to detect the difference?

I know it monitors the Current, not the resistance.

vicius_the_one

TDI
Passat 3b6
I have passat 2003 1,9TDI AWX engine(european gole Germany) and it has CLuster : 3B0 920 827 A minidot bord computer. I want to install this module of lamp failure 4B0 919 471A. I saw that my electric scheme is similar like Audi A6 2005 4B5 except wiring to cluster where A6 has 3 plug T32. For bulb monitoring Audi uses T32c(grey) as passat(saw it on a cluster of Skoda superb) T32a(blue) and T32b(green). Problem is that in my passat on T32a pins are all accupied from 1 to 14 see picture. So should I try like this :
- T32a/ 16 - for brake bulbs instead of T32a/13(allready occupied)
- T32b/21 - for dipped beam ???

PS : what should code to activate this option on my 3B0 920 827 A minidot with BC

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
It is 4.50am in the morning here otherwise I would answer you in detail now fully.( I will a bit later):)

You need to be copying something like the Skoda Octavia/Superb wiring which had Bulb Monitor and is almost identical wiring to Passat (and has same dash plugs!).

The green Pin 21 is for the headlight motor monitoring, not the actual bulbs which are wired directly thru relay.

Blue Pin 16 (or 19 - I will confirm) is for brake bulbs (KB from relay) - Octavia/Superb use different pins in this particular case.

I cant remember at this very second which pin KS from relay goes to, but I do have the information.

Do you have a dump of cluster? I can tell you what bytes to change (I think you have the later coding with different addresses)

Graeme

Last edited:

vicius_the_one

TDI
Passat 3b6
Yes I have dump, just took it :D and I modified 1E9 and 1F7 see it if it is good :
1E9 ----- A9 (org. was AA)
1F7 ----- 3B (org. was 01)

I'm also interrested about seatbelt activation and "wellcome" messa at door open (remember it is minidot)

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry Vicius I just realised you only have a half height MFA cluster from your part number.:eek:

I don't think anyone has got the Bulb Check to work on MFA yet.

Your cluster will have a missing LED and resistor on PC board inside at the very least.

Read this thread: http://www.gti-tdi.de/board2/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=3898

Welcome will not work on MFA either - only "Maxidot" FIS.:(

For seatbelt warning in Europe, you will have to add wire from seatbelt buckle to cluster - they are missing in Europe cars.

VAGCOM only turns on the little symbol in the cluster if you activate the belt warning.(+02)xxx

For the Warning message and Gong the buckle must be hardwired to the cluster.

T32 Blue Pin 31 to buckle and then a wire to Earth from buckle.

Then if buckle is not clipped in, 12V goes to earth thru buckle switch because cluster pin grounds, so you get warning and gong sounds

vicius_the_one

TDI
Passat 3b6
I solved:
- seatbelt
- needles and displays lighted with ignition.
And yes, there is no LED for LAMP FAILURE.

I tried welcome on 147 where was "02" an turned to 6B, but nothing happened, not even one error.
Thanks a lot for reply :D.