Frustrated with MKIV

JettaTDISportwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 SportWagon 6spd Manual TDI ( Gone to the great yard in the sky) 2000 Jetta 5spd TDI 264k Miles and counting 2015 Passat TDI SE DSG Stock for- now...
I can not for the life of me figure out why My jetta wont start. Ive replaced the 109 relay, primed the fuel pump checked fuses. ....Nothing just cranks and cranks. Ive checked the fuel lines no leaks. Ive replaced the fuel sending unit in the tank. No luck! Ugh this car is really starting to tick me off.

Any suggestions I may have missed?

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
When/why did the no-start situation begin??
Is it getting fuel yet?? Any smoke from exhaust while cranking??
It can be a challenge sometimes to get the injector lines bled of air after having the fuel system open. If you have an injector line(s) open at the injector body there should be a good amount of fuel being pumped out each firing stroke. If it's just a "spurt", there is still air in the system.
If you are getting plenty of fuel, then perhaps it's a timing issue.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Troubleshooting Step One should (almost) always be: track down someone with VCDS and scan for codes. :) :)

More often than not the car has some clues there for the taking.

JettaTDISportwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 SportWagon 6spd Manual TDI ( Gone to the great yard in the sky) 2000 Jetta 5spd TDI 264k Miles and counting 2015 Passat TDI SE DSG Stock for- now...
I'm getting a 17570 code from the vagcom fuel temp sensor short to ground

I'm getting spurts of diesel when I try to start it. This seems to be a frustrating intermittent issue. This started when I would run out of fuel at half tank. I replaced the tank sending unit and it ran fine for a couple weeks until I hit the halfway mark on my fuel gage. I had around 170 miles on my trip dial so I'm sure I'm not out of fuel. I then re primed the system after changing the fuel filter and it ran fine. The next day no start. I changed out the. 109 relay just for the peace of mind. The fuel pump is an 11mm pump less then two years old. I would be surprised if it's my fuel temperature sensor.

derek5120

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
You can check your fuel temp sensor for resistance, google "vw injection pump pin out" Check pin 4 to 7. Compare to this chart:

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Make positive it's not out of fuel. Pull the access cover and take a look. Seems elementary, but sometimes we lose track of things like when we last fueled up.
Or, hook up a MityVac type something and pull some serious fuel thru the lines and make sure no air bubbles coming thru there.

JettaTDISportwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks guys! Fuel tank is half full from what I can see. I pulled fuel into my lines with a vac. Still no start. Ill check fuel sensor resistance tomorrow when I have some light.

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
I loosen all the injector lines to bleed them off and crank. when i see diesel has come out of all of them, I tighten them all up snugly (don't go all ape on it), and I usually fire on first crank.

SmilesAndGimps

TDI
1999 Jetta TDI
I am currently having the same issue! Gotten some good suggestions on this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=475798&page=2 but still no resolve...

If the fuel temp sensor is bad would it throw a code? Also I am only getting a spurt from the injectors though I've primed the lines several times, how else can I get air out of the injector lines besides cranking the starter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
On a Cummins a possible no start is the fuel shutoff solenoid not opening up to allow the fuel to flow into the injection pump....

There is a fuel shut off solenoid on the pump on our TDIs too....I saw it on a diagram somewhere...I'd check that.

The trick to starting one of my Pickups is to jumper a wire from the battery directly to the fuel cut off solenoid...no click means no fuel means a no start....Should work the same way on a TDI

Andrew

PS - Another trick I have done is to start the truck on wd 40....supposed to be easier on the rings etc than ether tho I have fired a 6.9 on starting fluid....go EASY on the starting fluid tho....(warning: Heater Grids / Glo Plugs may be an issue with starting fluid BUT I have not blown up.....YET ;-)

Last edited:

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
On a Cummins a possible no start is the fuel shutoff solenoid not opening up to allow the fuel to flow into the injection pump....

There is a fuel shut off solenoid on the pump on our TDIs too....I saw it on a diagram somewhere...I'd check that.

The trick to starting one of my Pickups is to jumper a wire from the battery directly to the fuel cut off solenoid...no click means no fuel means a no start....Should work the same way on a TDI

Andrew

PS - Another trick I have done is to start the truck on wd 40....supposed to be easier on the rings etc than ether tho I have fired a 6.9 on starting fluid....go EASY on the starting fluid tho....(warning: Heater Grids / Glo Plugs may be an issue with starting fluid BUT I have not blown up.....YET ;-)
Do not put liquids ("flameable" or otherwise) into a TDI. Other than the explosion hazard, you can also hydrolock it and bend a rod(s). The "squish" volume in these little high compression engines is very small and there is no extra room for any non-compressible materials.
If the mechanical issues are correct it will start. Air, compression, and fuel (at the right time).
I don't think a bad fuel temp sensor will cause a no start if the injection timing is/was already anywhere near correct as during starting the ECU goes into basic mode until it's actually "running".

JettaTDISportwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Its a 2000 Jetta TDI. Ive bleed the injectors several times. If I had a clogged injector would this cause a no start? So puzzled by this. How about my pump relay under the dash. Would this cause this? I did jump the shut off switch and could hear it clicking.

JettaTDISportwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
I hope not it was replaced less then two years ago with an upgraded 11mm pump. How would I rule this out?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You could try suspending a bottle of fuel and see if it'll run on that. Eliminates the work of pulling fuel from the tank. May or may not work. And of course if that's not the issue it's not going to run.

Ryan_m83

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Hook it up to a truck and pull it around in 2nd gear. Any air in the lines will get pushed through. If it don't start then you have bigger issues.

JettaTDISportwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
I purchased the car from the original owner last year. The timing belt broke on him so he had the head rebuilt along with a new timing belt and water pump. He also replaced the fuel pump at that time. He had the paperwork for what was done on the car. It was a local mechanic that did all of the work.

JettaTDISportwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes. With the exception of the car not starting after I drove below half a tank. I've replaced the fuel sending unit and it still will not start if Im below half a tank. I verified that as of now the tank is almost full.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Have you verified the current state/condition of the TB system?? Lots of "mechanics" do the tensioner wrong and/or use junk parts that fail much sooner than scheduled.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Have you verified the current state/condition of the TB system?? Lots of "mechanics" do the tensioner wrong and/or use junk parts that fail much sooner than scheduled.
THIS

you can eliminate the tank/lines and just run a hose into a jerry can full of diesel if you want, maybe you got some shiot fuel.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
It would be good to know where the mechanic sourced the replacement pump, since this certainly sounds like a pump-related issue, since the pump is pretty much the entire fuel system on an ALH, and really the only part that would be sensitive to full tank vs. half-tank.

There are good pump vendors, and pump vendors known to sell extremely poor quality parts. :)

Seeing if you can get the engine to start from a suspended jug at this point would be a good test to run, too, IMHO. If so, pretty much points to the vane pump internal to the IP or a subtle restriction in the line somewhere back to the tank.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes. With the exception of the car not starting after I drove below half a tank. I've replaced the fuel sending unit and it still will not start if Im below half a tank. I verified that as of now the tank is almost full.
So, since you've had it, it refuses to start if less than 1/2 a tank?
The 11mm pump was new, used, rebuilt?

<add> I see you've owned the car 1 year, pump replaced 2 years ago, so it's pedigreed may be unknown

Last edited:

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Do not put liquids ("flameable" or otherwise) into a TDI. Other than the explosion hazard, you can also hydrolock it and bend a rod(s). The "squish" volume in these little high compression engines is very small and there is no extra room for any non-compressible materials.
If the mechanical issues are correct it will start. Air, compression, and fuel (at the right time).
I don't think a bad fuel temp sensor will cause a no start if the injection timing is/was already anywhere near correct as during starting the ECU goes into basic mode until it's actually "running".

True about the liquids things and the TDI's or diesels in general for that matter....By WD 40 I meant the spray not the liquid in the big jugs....I forgot they came both ways.

Andrew

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Even though I may get flamed for saying this here goes: almost a decade ago when I was shopping to buy a tdi, there were posts on the internet stating the 2000 model Jetta tdi's had a half-tank-of-fuel starting issue. Below a 1/2 tank they would not start; the theory was it is such a hassle to re-prime a ve pump, VWOA wrote into the ECU's a bad piece of code. The dealers were getting overrun with angry owners whose cars would not start. It may not apply to you but you twice mention a 1/2 tank of fuel and a no start issue. I hope you able to resolve this issue soon.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Even though I may get flamed for saying this here goes: almost a decade ago when I was shopping to buy a tdi, there were posts on the internet stating the 2000 model Jetta tdi's had a half-tank-of-fuel starting issue. Below a 1/2 tank they would not start; the theory was it is such a hassle to re-prime a ve pump, VWOA wrote into the ECU's a bad piece of code. The dealers were getting overrun with angry owners whose cars would not start. It may not apply to you but you twice mention a 1/2 tank of fuel and a no start issue. I hope you able to resolve this issue soon.
No ones gonna flame that, good information, worth researching a bit further for the cause and solution.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think owners were confusing the hard hot start issue with fuel level. '99.5s had a known problem that they wouldn't easily start when warm.

Last edited: