Clutch replacement no clue what to do!

jlester777

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 5 speed
So my daughter has a 2002 Jetta TDI and her clutch has been slipping for a few months now. It slips in 4 and 5 gear at low 1800-2000 RPMs. She has had this car for about a year and I decided to help her out and install it for her. She has not bought any parts because I didn't know what was in the car SMF or DMF. Dropped the tranny and found a G60/VR6 Single Mass Flywheel 22 LB, Sachs clutch disc 1878 043 14, and a South Bend DXD Dynamax pressure plate. Overall the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate looks in good condition. With the mixing of parts for the clutch the reason why its slipping? I've searched on the forums for hours to see if anyone has mixed parts before and cant find anything. Can one buy a South Bend disc separately cause I already have a pressure plate? Does the pressure plate need to be replaced when the disc is replaced? She doesn't have much money and I'm just trying to figure out what she needs to buy.
Thanks.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
If it's got nothing int he way of mods, or only light mods for power, then it's very hard to argue with the Luk RepSet. It's priced right, is pleasant to drive and will certainly hold the torque.

jlester777

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 5 speed
If it's got nothing int he way of mods, or only light mods for power, then it's very hard to argue with the Luk RepSet. It's priced right, is pleasant to drive and will certainly hold the torque.
We don't know the mods that are on it, It has an EGR delete with a race pipe and an AFE air intake. It had all of this when she bought it. I'm guessing it might have some upgraded injectors also but not for sure. It's faster than my car for sure but other than that I don't know what mods. I don't think she is wanting to add a tune to it but not sure. She is definitely not a racer! Y'all think I should still go with the Luk RepSet.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
If you don't know what mods have been done, I would not get a LUK 17-050.
They are a great clutch for stock applications but will not hold much extra torque.

You should talk to someone that sells aftermarket clutches about your situation.
There is a good chance your clutch components are mismatched.
The guys at ID Parts, Bora parts or Kerma should be able to help you out.

good luck.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
I installed a LuK 17-050 RepSet into my BEW Golf with RC1 in November. Works perfectly, clutch/disk/pressure plate come pre-assembled. Hard to argue with its price and convenience.

While I bought the RepSet off Amazon, I bought the full installation hardware set from IDParts. Probably didn't need most of those bolts but it was nice to have them on hand.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I got my clutch kit from ID-Parts also.

The DMF clutch came with the pressure plate, flywheel, and disk already assembled and had the flywheel bolts already installed.
Also included the throw out bearing.

All I had to do was bolt it to the engine, no alignment tool needed.
I don't remember the original clutch being as smooth when I bought the car new.

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
I'll add my 2 cents: I have a 2005 Beetle (BEW) with RC1+ with the Luk 17-050 RepSet and it is fine. No slipping at all.

Eric