monsoon speaker replacement 2003 jetta a4

200mileswest

TDI
jetta a4
I have a 2003 jetta 4 door with monsoon. GL trim. I replaced the stereo head unit a few years ago and decided to replace the speakers. Since I'm using the existing wiring I bought a pair of component speakers (no names, but they had a pretty decent rating). The existing speakers were 2 ohm speakers so this is what I bought for replacement. I noticed after replacing the woofers that they weren't very loud as the existing speakers (I left the front speakers in and was planning to replace them later). I DID check the polarity on the speaker wiring before hooking them up so that isn't a problem.
I'm considering ditching the speakers I bought (they were under $30/pair). I'm not that big on having to spend $200/pair on speakers. (My hearing was a lot better in my 20s but I do remember having friends who spent $1,500 or more on a system IN 1980 DOLLARS this was a lot, and I wasn't all that impressed for the amount of money spent.)
NOW, for the question.... If I decide to replace with a coaxial speaker, the 2-way or 3-way kind, can I twist the 2 pairs of separate positive and negative wires together where they come out of the wiring harness in the door? (I've heard that you can do this on a couple of people's youtube channels, but didn't know if it'd work).
OR....
If I get another pair of component speakers (I'm considering Infinity speakers in the $85-110 price range) can I leave out the included crossover if I'm going to use the existing Monsoon wiring which is, in effect, a crossover? I really don't want to mess with install people again. I had originally bought a Pioneer headunit, double DIN which had a built in GPS that didn't work. I brought it to an install guy after I did this self install and he soldered the wiring in place (I used a harness adapter). He neglected to tell me that he wasn't able to get the GPS to work either.
Let me know what you think......

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
When I installed my Kenwood d-din unit I ran new wires from the radio to the 4 doors.
I wanted real speaker wire, not x-mas tree wire. :)

I also yanked the amp out of the back so it would not draw power or cause unknown issues. The Kenwood has 50 watts x4 so I didn't need it anyway.
Took a few sessions for this running under the carpets & such -and- connecting them to the speaker end only.

When D-day came and I installed the radio and yanked the amp then.
Ran new power wires also, did not tap into the car wires for anything.
For me it wasn't that bad a job and the radio sounds great.
It also came with a GPS antenna, did yours?