buy NOS 2016 Q5 TDI or new 2018 Q5 2.0t

acktdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS Reflex Silver
Hi folks,
Veteran TDI owner here, I had a 2002 Golf TDI which I drove to 200k+ miles and absolutely loved it. I haven't looked at diesels for awhile since dieselgate but I was at Las Vegas Audi yesterday shopping for a new 2018 Q5 2.0T and the sales guy mentioned that the TDIs have been cleared for sale.

The one I'm interested in is a 2016 Q5 TDI Premium Plus, with Tech package and 20" wheels, 25 miles on the odometer. MSRP is $54,885.00 and they're asking for $46,652.00.

The 2018 has more tech - carplay/android auto, front/rear collision mitigation, 7 speed dsg. Prices around $46-48k. That all sounds great, but the TDI has so much more torque and I have a soft spot for diesels. My wife says get the 2018, it's newer and she doesn't care either way about diesels.

I wanted to get some opinions on the price and whether I should go with 2018 with all new tech or 2016 and tons of fun torque? :)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Of the two, I'd pick the diesel for sure. My wife would, too. :p

Of course, I'd be sniffing around looking for an A6 TDI. Same engine, but bigger and nicer to drive.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
That’s too much for that vehicle. You can buy a used one cheaper and possibly get the restitution money. I’ll sell you one of mine.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I would probably have go for the 18.
After programming has been neutered, the driving experience seems to be less than stellar.
I would have a hard time coughing up more than 40k for the 16.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Let’s be realistic: anyone who is saying the TDI has been “ruined” hasn’t driven the 2.0 liter gasser. It relies on gear changes for acceleration to a much greater degree relative to the TDI, even the fixed version. That said, if you don’t plan to keep the car for the long haul do not get the TDI. You can’t predict what the resale value will be in 3-4 years, as you can with the gasser. If you value the engine and will keep the car around get the TDI.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
I have a 2016 Q5 TDI similar to what you are describing. $46K for such a vehicle with 25 miles sounds hard to refuse. I have driven Q5s with the 2.0 TFSI, 3.0 TFSI and 3.0 TDI. The 3.0 TDI is by far the best engine. The 3.0 TFSI has great power, but the 3.0 TDI feels just powerful, only it uses quite a bit less fuel. My Q5 has 20 inch wheels, which look great. I'm on the fence about the practicality of the larger wheels, though. My opinion is that while the 20 in look great, the car feels less nimble and of course 20 in tires cost more $$. I have 17 in wheels with snow tires for winter and they are lighter and the car feels more nimble with them on. I digress, but a new 3.0 TDI is rare and if you're an enthusiast, it's the best engine to have on a Q5. It'll be great for those weekend ski trips to Tahoe.

acktdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS Reflex Silver
After test driving the 2018 2.0T we decided to get it over the TDI, as much as I loved the diesel engine, the newer tech won out.