www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old April 17th, 2018, 06:40   #1
trimhound

TDI(s): 2012
Default Turbo just went out on my 2012 Jetta at 77k, currently in limp mode.

Before the buyback was announced I was planning on driving her to the grave, so I took extra good care of her. Followed the recommended break-in strictly, DSG service at 40k, all oil changes done on schedule at dealer until my last that was a debacle. (Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/tdi/comment...4L&sh=807045e2)

Just flew back from a 10 day trip and after about 10 mins on the highway I heard a whistling noise and then got the flashing engine malfunction light. It went into limp mode and the exit I pulled off at had an Autozone. It was a quart low on oil (last change was 4K ago)...service guy ran diagnostic and got errors P0299 turbo underboost and P020A cylinder 1 injection timing. Had it towed to the dealer and am told I have a faulty turbo they’ve quoted 5.5k to repair.

Wondering if it was the ****ty oil change I had at 73k that could have caused it? Car was never driven hard in the least. Wife really wants to buy an Audi soon, but this experience is really turning me off. It broke down 110 miles from my house with my wife and kids along after an already stressful trip. Used the VW roadside tow but to get it to my nearest dealer cost $150 and then had to Uber home for another $100. Paid $140 to find out the turbo is toast and I now need to pay more to have it towed to my house while the buyback letter is processed and then tow it back close to the dealer for the buyback....ALL WHILE HOPING it stays in limp mode and can pass the buyback requirements. I know I should’ve completed the buyback awhile ago, but I’m kind of the gambling type and loved the fact I was driving it for free as long as I didn’t total it...never factored in a random turbo failure as I saw no signs of it happening.
Any ideas what could have happened? Everything I've read on here led me to believe it would be a loose or cracked hose and I told the service tech directly to check for it. I don't really know anything about Turbos and all he said was the turbo fan seized up.

Any suggestions for making sure I pass the buyback requirements of it needing to be able to move under its own power?
trimhound is offline   Reply With Quote