IBW Gets a New Engine

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Piston/valve contact could/would occur if the lifter presses the valve down, then, due to no-oil, gets stuck, not allowing the valve to come back up - the valve is stuck down, and then gets smacked by the piston.
This is what we think happened. And chill thinks a valve head broke of in cylinder #4, which stopped the engine. But as I've posted, we can't pull it apart to inspect because it'll void the warranty. We'll find out when the supplier tears it down.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Man, super sorry to hear about the motor(s).

You are kind of making me glad that I stuck with a VNT-15. I was very close to a 17, but liked the way the golf drove so much that I just re-created the same setup you have except I chose a different tuner.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Not much. Just spoke to Chill, he hopes to get the new engine in next week. He had other work scheduled after the failure and knows I'm not in a big hurry, even though I miss the car. He says that this time he's going to pull the pan and prime the oil pump (even though that shouldn't be necessary) warranty be damned. I'm with him on that.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Boy, it's been a long time, but IBW is back home.

Chill got it running on Monday, ran it for about 4 hours today, no problem. Drove it to my house this evening and I took him back to his shop. No issues. Engine is very quiet, very smooth. Not a ton of power, some of which I attribute to the low fueling ALH ECU that's in the car. I have the ASV ECU with RC3+, that will go in tomorrow or Friday. It's probably not making a ton of compression, either, given it's got about 60 miles on it.

We ended up putting (another) new turbo on the car for fear the Garrett on the first replacement engine may have been damaged by oil starvation. It never made boost and it was primed with oil, so it might have been fine. But now the car has a Mahle turbo on it. Test subject. See how it does running 19.5 PSI.

I'm thrilled to have the car back. After driving the Golf for a couple of months I was beginning to wonder if I'd like going back to a 12 year old 300K mile car. No problem. It's just as nice as ever. Now for break in.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Rust warranty I believe is still active for 02 models
Doubt it. Most '02s were built by June or July of that year. So we're past it. My car was built in March, I warrantied it in March. However, I could have also argued for date of sale since I bought it new in May of '02.

Just drove the car into Boston and back. Lots of holiday traffic. Runs great. I'm happy I switched to a SBC Stage 2 Daily clutch, engagement from stop is easier and smoother. And boy is it quiet. Filled it up this AM, but I don't have great expectations for first tank fuel economy.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
The SBC daily is nice. I had one install in July this year and its silky smooth BUT with just over 9000 miles she's slipping in 3rd,4th, and 5th so I'm having second thoughts. Hopefully SBC warranty covers it. Chill install pp520 and Rc3 with vnt15 but I'm sure that's a non issue because I never had any slippage the OEM dmf setup.

bajan

silverbox

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta wagon 2003 silver
Hi Peter,
I agree with you. The a4 Jetta wagons when set right are hard to beat.
I hope to keep mine for as long as i can. I would put the money into a new engine rather than get anything else i see right now.
Good luck.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Filled it yesterday. First tank, 41 MPG. All local driving, lots of idling, fuel leak for a bit (tired return lines), and tires with 32 PSI in them. Aired up the tires and drove it 300 miles today to western MA and back. Nice fast run back, lots of it at 80-85 MPH. Showing 7/8 of a tank at 300 miles. So it's getting better FE this time.

Checked the oil, no usage. And it's not black. What's up with that?

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
rings are still tight , don't allow soot in the oil

it should loosen up after a while

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Update: It just keeps getting better

It's been almost a year and over 20K miles since the engine swap was completed, and it's running great. I drove to the Appalachian Auto Works GTG in NC last weekend, about a 2,000 mile round trip. The car ran perfectly, and was as happy as ever to run at 80+ MPH on the freeway.

The big surprise was the fuel economy. I left the house with a full tank, filled in VA on my way down, and again yesterday in Harrisburg on the way back. One tank was 51 MPG, the other was 52. I hit 800 miles on the first tank just as the low fuel light came on. Lots of traffic, rain, and wind on this trip, and I was trying to drive as fast as traffic would allow in the way home since I did it in one shot.

IBW has received new control arms, rear axle bushings, Koni Reds, brakes, a wheel bearing, A/C recharge, front seat swap, and new Michelin Primacy tires since last year. The tires are probably helping FE. The other stuff just makes it fun to drive.

I just crossed 100K miles tracking FE for the car on Fuelly. Used to see a lot of low to mid-40s in daily driving, with high 40s on trips. I'm now up 5 MPG from when I started, give or take. Nice.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
That's some pretty stellar fuel economy for 80+ MPH. :cool:

The Passat returned 47.4 MPG at mostly 70-75 MPH driving on the trip back from the west Michigan GTG.