Rust repair - where? Advice needed (GTA)

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
Looks like this 2k aerosol clear coat makes a big difference, really hard to tell from pictures #2 and #3 that the door was spray-painted.
Thx.

The hood, trunk, both fenders and were replaced and both quarter panels repaired in 2014 by a vw contracted shop under warranty.

Only the front driver door on that side still has original paint on it at the moment, but it too will be repaired probably this spring /summer as it now has a rust bubble by the exterior door handle. The rust bubble is about the size of a couple loonies.

I will re do the rear door as well as the rust is starting to come back. It was on the leading edge of the rear door. I didn't have enough paint/primer/clear on the original repair.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Rockers are closed (couple of centimeters inside), but regardless I'm planning to close the gaps with splash guards. It was a private "garage shop", budget fix for budget car. I can't do a better job so money-wise I'm happy with this fix of rocker and quarter panels. Thing is proper shops either don't want to deal with that kind of issues or quote too much for a $3500 car.
Unfortunately splash guards won't do much for keeping water out of there. For that, the rocker ends needs to be capped at the very end like they were from the factory. I see lots of buddy filler on those rockers. Let's hope I'm wrong and they'll look the same after next winter.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Unfortunately splash guards won't do much for keeping water out of there. For that, the rocker ends needs to be capped at the very end like they were from the factory. I see lots of buddy filler on those rockers. Let's hope I'm wrong and they'll look the same after next winter.
Actually the leading 3cm of the rockers was open from the factory. Capping them would be a bad idea as water from the rain tray at the base of the windshield drains through here, just clean the dirt and leaves out at least annually or the rust will start again.

Simon