For what it's worth

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
A fuel filter system I might install to protect the $40K engine in my Kenworth is a clear different thing than installing the same type of system to protect the engine in my TDI.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
A fuel filter system I might install to protect the $40K engine in my Kenworth is a clear different thing than installing the same type of system to protect the engine in my TDI.
I didn't take that away after reading, that I should install the kind of fuel filter system that is used on a 40K engine. What I did take away is that in cold temps water in the fuel is more problematic than gelling. So whatever you can do to minimize or protect your fuel system from water/icing is important.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Which is why using something like Powerservice White is often recomended on this forum for winter use.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
Yeah, I've been using a 2 micron CAT filter for about a 100K miles. The first one I changed out after 60 or 65K miles just out of an abundance of caution -- there were no issues. The next one clogged at around 40K if I recall. It shows me that yes, if you've got a stable source of good fuel, these will probably last a couple of hundred K miles. But get into some less than pristine fuel, and you'll be changing out that uber filter right away. Even so, I like that fact that what's coming through the filter outlet is ultra-filtered. I think it matters over a long period of time.

The author warns about 2 micron filters possibly causing starvation (which I guess could occur in a very large volume fuel system demand) in some applications but on our (MkIV, at least) TDIs, you can go to 1 micron without issues, except for cost of course.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Yeah, I've been using a 2 micron CAT filter for about a 100K miles. The first one I changed out after 60 or 65K miles just out of an abundance of caution -- there were no issues. The next one clogged at around 40K if I recall.
As one of the authors basically said don't blame the filter blame the fuel the filter is doing its intended job.
"If you’re not satisfied with the life of your fuel filters, it’s probably not the filter you need to investigate."

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Which is why using something like Powerservice White is often recommended on this forum for winter use.
DBW on this forum recommends PS white the year round not just winter as even if the water does not freeze free water in a common rail is destructive to both the HPFP and injectors.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
As one of the authors basically said don't blame the filter blame the fuel the filter is doing its intended job.
"If you’re not satisfied with the life of your fuel filters, it’s probably not the filter you need to investigate."
Yes -- I was giving an example of just that!

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Yes -- I was giving an example of just that!
Yes and I'm glad you did. When people here expound on the long life of fuel filters it's not because the fuel filter is so great it is because the fuel was already very clean. I'm running the nicktane 1 micron and fear that one fill up with dirty fuel may leave me dead alongside the road with a rather difficult situation ( think about being 300 miles or more from home) to change and prime the replacement filter. I don't carry another filter nor do I carry a VCDS and laptop to prime it. I like you do like the idea of fuel polishing down to a 1 or 2-micron level so I guess I just go for it.

Last edited: