TDIFest 2016 is coming to Wisconsin

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Good news, everyone! TDIClub is pleased to announce that TDIFest 2016 will returning to Wisconsin, this time in Door County from September 2nd to 4th, 2016.

Besides being TDIFest #16, this year's TDIFest also has something extra special as it will also be marking 20 years since the original webpage that went up starting it all (TDIClub that is).

TDIFest 2016 will be centered around the Lodge at Leathem Smith and all rooms include a free breakfast omelet bar (based on double occupancy). The rates are below:
  • Fishermen’s Village (1 King/2 Queens) - $109/night + tax
  • Standard Rooms (1 King/2 Queens) - $149/night + tax
  • All Suites - $219/night + tax

Our block of rooms (and their rates) end on July 31st and since there is a limited number of rooms (especially the Fisherman’s Village) we highly recommend you book soon. Please note that while this hotel requires a 50% deposit when booking, if something comes up you must cancel your reservation, it is fully refundable (less a $10 cancellation fee) as long you cancel at least 72 hours in advance of your stay. Also we are happy to say that there are a few pet friendly rooms available for those bringing that like to bring their pets.

Hotel booking is now open. To book your room, call 920-743-5555 and say you are part of the TDI group rate. They will be happy to take your reservation.

As a special bonus for you early birds, anyone who books their hotel room AND registers for TDIFest before June 12 will be entered into a draw for one free upgrade to a suite at the lodge.

As was the case last year entrance into any TDIFest will be free for any TDIClub member who is a “Contributor” level or higher. Please note that this is just entrance into the event in general and does not include meals or optional events that require additional fees. Individuals who wish to attend TDIFest will be required to first become a “Contributor” to TDIClub, either prior to the event’s start or at the door. On-site contribution will be possible, similar to how event registration has been available at the door at prior TDIFest events. While TDIClub membership will be available at the door, access to meals and any other limited-attendance events (such as the awards banquet and auction) cannot be guaranteed unless purchased by the pre-registration deadline. There are no other methods by which entry into TDIFest can be obtained.

The registration site for TDIFest 2016 is currently planned to be available mid-May. Details about how to register will be released closer to availability.

Read more about our plans for TDIFest 2016 at http://wiki.tdifest.com in the next few days.

As some have said in the past the journey to TDIFest can be ½ the fun and therefore here are a few ideas for those looking at this aspect for those coming from the east:

• Take the scenic drive via the upper peninsula that may include an excursion to Mackinac Island rather than south via Chicago
  • Cross lake Michigan from Ludington to Manitowoc on the SS Badger. The SS Badger is the last coal-fired passenger and car ferry operating on Lake Michigan.

We hope to see everyone this Labour Day and stay tuned for future updates.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I'd love to come as well! Need to make sure work is okay with it. Going to be a 2-3 day ride out there depending on which way I take :D

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Apologies for the naïve question - when making reservations is check-in on the 2nd and check-out on the 4th? Are activities planned for the 2nd?

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
Apologies for the naïve question - when making reservations is check-in on the 2nd and check-out on the 4th? Are activities planned for the 2nd?
Usually on Friday is check-in and meet and greet as well as a silent auction.
I am planning on a room 2nd through the 4th, with checkout on the 5th, as I don't want to have to travel after the day's activities on Sunday.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Activities start on Friday afternoon at 5pm. The two big days are Saturday and Sunday. More information can be found at http://wiki.tdifest.com

Most people arrive mid-afternoon on Friday and depart on Monday morning, spending three nights at the hotel.

Some people arrive a day or two early, or stay a day or two late in order to take advantage of local attractions and go sight seeing. For anyone interested in doing this, our room rates are good for three days in advance (Tuesday night) and three days after the event (checkout Thursday morning).

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
ideas for those looking at this aspect for those coming from the east:

• Take the scenic drive via the upper peninsula that may include an excursion to Mackinac Island rather than south via Chicago
  • Cross lake Michigan from Ludington to Manitowoc on the SS Badger. The SS Badger is the last coal-fired passenger and car ferry operating on Lake Michigan.
Great ideas! Last year I attended the Sturgeon Bay, WI GTG/Cruise and coming from Southern Ontario I really enjoyed the drive north around lake Michigan over the Mackinac Bridge. This year, depending on how early I can leave home, I might try to work a ferry ride (with a four hour sleep in a $49 "State Room" perhaps?) all I know is I am not driving thru Chicago again.

Half the fun is planning the trip! I did some quick google mapping and if you use Flint, MI from the east as the fork in the road it turns out that whether you go north, south, or take the ferry boat it will still take 8.5 hours to get from Flint to Sturgeon Bay. It might take an extra hour for loading on to the boat, but the reward is four hours of nap time not driving, which doesn't really suit me anyway, unless it is dark, in which case I might as well be sleeping.

edit: I guess what I am saying is that it is up to an hour quicker to just drive around, and possibly more fuel efficient also!

Looking forward to TDIFest!

Also, I hope there will be a cruise planned as part of the fest! (driving cruise that is)

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Take the Red Eye Home as there really isn't anything to see in the middle of lake Michigan anyway. The discount for the nighttime ride will cover the cost of the stateroom. It will be daylight when you hit Ludington. Have traveled this numerous times the Big Boat is just a great experience. Usually by the time I have managed to fall asleep within an hour we were there. Many others skip the stateroom and sleep on the deckchairs under the stars in sleeping bags or just blankets. It's cold out there even in the middle of summer
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUse...ake_Michigan_Carferry-Ludington_Michigan.html

Last edited:

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Hoping to make it. However I would need leave for two shifts and that's nearly impossible to get over that weekend.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Sounds good, looking forward to it! We'll have the usual parts and Malone Tunes :)
-BB

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
Take the Red Eye Home as there really isn't anything to see in the middle of lake Michigan anyway. The discount for the nighttime ride will cover the cost of the stateroom. It will be daylight when you hit Ludington. Have traveled this numerous times the Big Boat is just a great experience. Usually by the time I have managed to fall asleep within an hour we were there. Many others skip the stateroom and sleep on the deckchairs under the stars in sleeping bags or just blankets. It's cold out there even in the middle of summer
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUse...ake_Michigan_Carferry-Ludington_Michigan.html

I'd be all about that nighttime ferry trip just for the view of the stars! Must be a stunner!

Hoping to be there, lots up in the air. SUPER HAPPY to see one planned for sure.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
The V's are in as. Be great to get back to Wisconsin.

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
If I become a "contributing member" and I want to bring someone along with me, do they pay too? I'm confused at what's all free what you pay for? Like is the car show open to the public but you pay to be in it or?

I actually accidently stumbled across the last WI TDI Fest in Lake Mills, WI back a decade or so ago. I lived down there and just ran across it. Bunch of TDI's parked in a lot, and a dyno at one of the shops in town.

Everyone was talking about veggie oil and cat fuel fitters back then.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
If I become a "contributing member" and I want to bring someone along with me, do they pay too? I'm confused at what's all free what you pay for? Like is the car show open to the public but you pay to be in it or?

I actually accidently stumbled across the last WI TDI Fest in Lake Mills, WI back a decade or so ago. I lived down there and just ran across it. Bunch of TDI's parked in a lot, and a dyno at one of the shops in town.

Everyone was talking about veggie oil and cat fuel fitters back then.
"Contributing member" allows you and minors (presumably your children) to attend the event. Upgrading to "Enthusiast member" adds another adult.

We support this ad-free community through member subscriptions, and admission to TDIFest is our way of thanking you for your support. The event is members-only, but anyone can join at any time. :)

Casual onlookers from the community are welcome to peruse the outdoor event spaces, but they will not be entitled to attend any of the other events at Fest or be able to book a room at the hotel.

I think you'll find that the event has grown in scope since the previous Wisconsin Fest, with more club-sanctioned activities, technical sessions, and infrastructure that requires funding. I'm confident that you won't be disappointed. :)

Last edited:

rbrennick

TDI
A Few ALH 5 speed cars
Per the ssbadger.com website page "Schedules and Fares":
NO 1:00AM depart Manitowoc crossings on 6/12,7-5, 9/4 or 9/5

A tad pricey too, for two humans and a car round trip...

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
"Contributing member" allows you and minors (presumably your children) to attend the event. Upgrading to "Enthusiast member" adds another adult.

We support this ad-free community through member subscriptions, and admission to TDIFest is our way of thanking you for your support. The event is members-only for various, but anyone can join at any time. :)

Casual onlookers from the community are welcome to peruse the outdoor event spaces, but they will not be entitled to attend any of the other events at Fest or be able to book a room at the hotel.

I think you'll find that the event has grown in scope since the previous Wisconsin Fest, with more club-sanctioned activities, technical sessions, and infrastructure that requires funding. I'm confident that you won't be disappointed. :)
Thanks for the link :D

Went for the mid tier :cool:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Per the ssbadger.com website page "Schedules and Fares":
NO 1:00AM depart Manitowoc crossings on 6/12,7-5, 9/4 or 9/5

A tad pricey too, for two humans and a car round trip...
Sorry I didn't look at the schedule before I posted my bad. I didn't say take it round trip and I didn't say it was cheap now did I?:rolleyes:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I tried to sign up through the WIKI but it refused.
You can't sign up through the wiki; it's just an information page. :confused:

The only things you can do right now are book a hotel room (highly recommended) and purchase a forum subscription at http://forums.tdiclub.com/payments.php

Registration for the event will open in May.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
you may register for TDIFest 2015 by visiting our registration page at events.tdiclub.com.

But not until May.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
you may register for TDIFest 2015 by visiting our registration page at events.tdiclub.com.

But not until May.
Yeah - 2015 is over and done. I just fixed the wording on that. :)

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Thanks for the information. We will use it to get there. The 4 hour break would be nice after a long day on the road. Then finish the trip with a hour half left on the trip.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
I'll see you guys as always and we'll have some incredible new products out there along with the diesel BMWs and hybrid twin turbos kits.