No crank no start no ecm communication HELLPPPP!!!

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Alrighty... Bought this 2006 jetta tdi brm with a manual transmission in May of this year.... 2 weeks later, the transmission went out. Ended up being the throwout bearing went bad. Went ahead and replaced the throwout bearing and decided to go with a smf kit also. Unfortunately, due to time and money restraints, it took me about 6 months to finish everything. So for a while the car sat outside on jacks without a transmission in it. But, after putting everything back in, it fired right up and sounded great. Everything worked properly until about 2 days later when I noticed a very slow crank, but it started. The next day I went to start it and nothing, I assumed it was the battery, so I threw it on the charger and came back after a few hours and still nothing. The glow plug light does not come on, the CEL doesn't come on either. I've tested the starter and it's good, tested the battery and it's good, tested all fuses and relays and they're good. Even went ahead and replaced the main power supply relay under the hood and that didn't fix anything. All relays under the dash click when ignition is turned to on, but the main one under the hood does not. I have cleaned the grounds 3 different times and they're all good and have continuity. Cleaned all fuse box terminals and they all have good voltage and no drops in voltage. Only drop in voltage I get is at the wire that connects to the end of the starter solenoid. I pulled out the ecm and check the wiring and don't see any damage there at all. Only thing I notice is when I turn the key off and take it out I notice a very faint sort of honk. Don't know if that means anything or not.. But other than that, all dash lights come on when I turn the key to on, there's no action or change with the dash or anything though when I attempt to start it. So.... Help please!

dzl_nator

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI
Do these cars have a clutch pedal interlock? If so, it may be defective. I must push the pedal all the way to the floor on my 99 Passat to get it to close the switch.

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
If it was just the clutch pedal position sensor then I'd still have communication to THE ECM. I've also tested the relays and they're all good. I have swapped some too for known good ones or new ones. Unfortunately nothing worked. I did send my ecm in for testing the other day and it came back good.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It does sound like the 460 relay. It will be on the left, the right is for the wipers I think. Worth a try and it's like 12 bucks.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
If this was an older MK4 I would say change out the 109 relay however my mk5 experience is limited and I’m not even sure the mk5 platform has a 109 relay maybe that’s what the 460 is.

There is one other thing I can think of that will cause similar symptoms and that’s the starter itself specifically that fat copper wire that goes from the solenoid to the starter body itself. When that wire fails the dash will light up when you turn the key but not so much as a peep out of anything else.

So I guess I should ask how confident are you in your test of the starter?