Gen 3 (2015) fix disclosure

e909

TDI
15 MK7 TDI
Isn't the DOC,DPF, and SCR on this engine built into one unit, basically the DPF assembly part number 04L131606G? I wonder if these components are individually replaceable.

turboBear

TDI
2013 Golf TDI (sold back to VW 2016/12/28)
Be wary of assuming who pays for the second exhaust hardware replacement, to me wording is clear that the first is paid by VW if needed, but the wording for the second phase requirement implies to me the vehicle owner is responsible .... Still, no way to say for sure unless clarified by legal documents somewhere.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
Be wary of assuming who pays for the second exhaust hardware replacement, to me wording is clear that the first is paid by VW if needed, but the wording for the second phase requirement implies to me the vehicle owner is responsible .... Still, no way to say for sure unless clarified by legal documents somewhere.

although not specifically stated, it should be covered under the revised warranty.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Isn't the DOC,DPF, and SCR on this engine built into one unit, basically the DPF assembly part number 04L131606G? I wonder if these components are individually replaceable.
The DOC is a separate catalyst element from the DPF/SCR but it's all in that one housing with one part number (with a retail list price of about US$2 grand). That usually means it's all welded together in one piece. And that means VW's scheduled replacement of the DOC is really a replacement of the entire assembly. And that means we really don't know if it's DOC longevity or DPF/SCR longevity that is at issue here.

That whole big assembly is on the back of the engine with stuff underneath and around it - drive shafts, subframe cross-member, steering rack, antiroll bar if the Mk7 front suspension is anything like the Mk6. Changing that out is surely a bear of a job.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
After reading that....Looks more like I am going to keep it.
The extended warrenty coverage is just plain great....Removes most of the fears of having issues in the first 150,000 miles as far as engine and emissions related systems. Makes keeping the car very low risk IMO if you trust that the basic car is good.
The fact the replace most of the emissions parts at 40,000+ or 70,000 + means that you get a fresh start on the most $$$ parts in the system....Even though they are already under warrenty....It's a preemptive replacement that will save time and inconvenience later.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE

Nope...You get one check when phase 1 is done....And another when phase 2 is done. Both are part of the recalls.
Biggest drawback is the time....About 2+ years to get your $$....And in two stages.
First fix is said in the PDF to be an hour.... Second fix is 9 hours...So 2 days...Other docs already state they must provide a car for transportation is (I think k) beyond 1 (or was it 4) hours for any warrenty or recall fix in the agreement.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
9 hour job for phase 2 is probably mostly for replacement of that big catalyst module. I would think that you have to drop the subframe to do it. Could be wrong ...

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
This will affect technical functions under some operating
conditions, for example when the vehicle is started for the day. No
significant
( the mention of this means yes you will have loses but is it defined how much,, they can easily say,, Oh thats not Significant..... to my 90 yr old grandmother..)

changes to key vehicle attributes are expected, including fuel
consumption, reliability, durability, vehicle performance, drivability, or
other driving characteristics.
On-board diagnostic (OBD) system changes – Your vehicle’s OBD
system will be modified and certain emission thresholds within the
OBD system will be adjusted. These thresholds set new malfunction
detection limits that may be above what inspection and
maintenance regulators are familiar with and may reduce the
effectiveness of the OBD system in detecting malfunctions. We don’t
expect (mentioned so you bet it will happen..)
you will have any issues with the ability of your vehicle to
pass the inspection and maintenance test as a result of these
changes.
The extended warranty coverage outlined in this booklet
offers additional protection if your vehicle is still covered under
warranty at the time of inspection. Hmmmm again, mentioned so they are aware...

Last edited: