post fix DSG update failure - bricked cars with no solution from VW

Meg8

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Stopped by my dealership yesterday to get some things out of my car - forgot to take a photo but it is parked curbside, not under trees, but along the main drive from the service front area to the service garages. My passenger door was tough to open (almost seemed sealed shut with something sticky, but couldn't find anything there) and someone had popped out my passenger recliner wheel, which I popped back in....but other than that: it still exists!

My previous service rep is apparently no longer with the company (good) and my case had sort of fallen thru the cracks. They were really apologetic and had me switch out from my enterprise rental gas guzzler to a new Jetta TSI sedan. Which is helpful for the mileage!!

They said there is one other car (parked next to mine) with this issue; it was a silver SportWagen. They said they are no longer accepting these cars for the fix, but I didn't inquire further on the qualifier for non-acceptance. Specific build month cut-off? And only Jettas? I don't know.

For fun, I called two other local dealerships, as if I was going to make an appointment for the fix - they looked up my vin and said they were still making appointments for these early builds, and they have had no dsg re-flash issues yet. And have been processing a lot '09's w/o issue.

Lastly, called the settlement # to see if they are aware of this issue/know anything. The team member I spoke with had not yet heard about it but was appalled on my behalf, then transferred me to her boss. He said that they have just started receiving calls about this. He gave me the Class Counsel #: 1-800-948-2181 to see if there was anything they could help with. I called and left a message around COB today so hoping I get a call-back tomorrow.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
My 2009 has a build date of 11/2008. The trans is shifting fine after the fix. The trans shifts at higher RPM than before the fix. But are the shift points controlled by the engine computer or the DSG computer?
How can I tell if the DSG software was updated? Can I see it in VCDS?
from my car (subset of VCDS auto-scan pre-fix)
Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: None
Part No SW: 02E 300 050 D HW: 02E 927 770 AD
Component: GSG DSG 082 1402
Revision: 05108020 Serial number: 00001009261684
Coding: 0000020
Shop #: WSC 04940 001 00001
VCID: 130B6CE332BF50B9C32-8046

No fault code found.

some of this would change post-fix.

the DSG is under control of its own software.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Stopped by my dealership yesterday to get some things out of my car - forgot to take a photo but it is parked curbside, not under trees, but along the main drive from the service front area to the service garages. My passenger door was tough to open (almost seemed sealed shut with something sticky, but couldn't find anything there) and someone had popped out my passenger recliner wheel, which I popped back in....but other than that: it still exists!

My previous service rep is apparently no longer with the company (good) and my case had sort of fallen thru the cracks. They were really apologetic and had me switch out from my enterprise rental gas guzzler to a new Jetta TSI sedan. Which is helpful for the mileage!!

They said there is one other car (parked next to mine) with this issue; it was a silver SportWagen. They said they are no longer accepting these cars for the fix, but I didn't inquire further on the qualifier for non-acceptance. Specific build month cut-off? And only Jettas? I don't know.

For fun, I called two other local dealerships, as if I was going to make an appointment for the fix - they looked up my vin and said they were still making appointments for these early builds, and they have had no dsg re-flash issues yet. And have been processing a lot '09's w/o issue.

Lastly, called the settlement # to see if they are aware of this issue/know anything. The team member I spoke with had not yet heard about it but was appalled on my behalf, then transferred me to her boss. He said that they have just started receiving calls about this. He gave me the Class Counsel #: 1-800-948-2181 to see if there was anything they could help with. I called and left a message around COB today so hoping I get a call-back tomorrow.
It is getting to be long enough, I want to go start the car, and make sure they move it. my car has never sat in one spot this long. need to avoid flat spots on the tires.

N2UADTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan DSG
Here's the VCDS results the day before the fix:

Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 02E-927-770.clb
Part No SW: 02E 300 051 HW: 02E 927 770 AJ
Component: GSG DSG AG6 431 1814
Revision: 04843012 Serial number: 00000807010834
Shop #: WSC 02069 000 90108
VCID: 50A59851C3401EC65A-8004
No fault code found.

And after the fix:

Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 02E-927-770.clb
Part No SW: 02E 300 052 HW: 02E 927 770 AJ
Component: GSG DSG AG6 431 8938
Revision: 04843012 Serial number: 00000807010834
Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00000
VCID: 51A39D55C84A17CE55-8004

No fault code found.

A couple differences with my trans and meerschm.
1. Software(SW) version ends in 51 for my pre-fix compared to 50 for your software version
2. Hardware(HW) version ends in AJ while yours ends in AD
3. Component is different. What does 'component' mean"

Recall that my 2009 is fixed and on the road. No issues with DSG trans.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Glad that yours and some other 2009 MY cars with DSG have been updated and are working fine.

I called the dealer, and no updates. did ask him to get the birdie poop washed off again and move the car to another spot (to avoid flat spots on tires) they have to push it for now.

it is not obvious what is different and causes some of these cars not to take the fix.

after a month, it likely is not something simple. this does not mean we will all be driving loaners till Christmas....

There are discussion threads related to use of VCDS to look at software revision updates. there were previous recalls that resulted in software updates for the DSG (and my car had a hardware update before the emissions fix)

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...j33i22i29i30k1j33i21k1j33i160k1.0.77j1re5nlUU

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Rant:

ok, it has been over a month for a six hour fix.

the loaner is nice, but it does not meet the functional utility of my JSW. no roof rails, no room for five pairs of skis and boots and luggage.

I called "customer pretend to care" and elevated to a "regional mangler" who has no more info, but offered to call me every week or so and let me rant at him.

I thought the settlement provided a choice between fix and $$ or buyback and $$, at the schedule chosen by the owner, up until the end of next year.

at this point, I do not have my car, I do not have the cash, and do not have any info on what the plan is.

what a goat-rope.

you would think that VW would have known what was in the transmission, and if a variant was in the early cars, have tested the software update.

if this goes much longer, I will change my mind, and not want to set foot in my car again, and have it changed to a buyback from the "fix"

this is nuts.

ok, rant on hold.

allride

TDI
2014 JSW
Sorry to hear.
It deserves a rant.
Seems like you're patient and reasonable (probably more than most of us). Ask them for a similar car w/rack.
I'm still waiting, although I have a MT.
Hope your situation improves.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
Sorry to hear.
It deserves a rant.
Seems like you're patient and reasonable (probably more than most of us). Ask them for a similar car w/rack.
I'm still waiting, although I have a MT.
Hope your situation improves.
I'm, curious.. waiting for what??:confused:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I also called the number on the emissions fix web page.

asked if, after a month, if I could be offered the option to change to a buyback

answer is, no buyback after a choice of a fix is made. (they will not open the fix process until verification that the owner agrees that the buy back is off the table)

It really looks like I might have this car till Christmas. wonder how many pairs of skis I can get in the trunk.

Meg8

TDI
I also called the number on the emissions fix web page.

asked if, after a month, if I could be offered the option to change to a buyback

answer is, no buyback after a choice of a fix is made. (they will not open the fix process until verification that the owner agrees that the buy back is off the table)

It really looks like I might have this car till Christmas. wonder how many pairs of skis I can get in the trunk.
Hi,

I lost it over this a couple weeks ago. Kind of glad I'm not the only one who is extremely frustrated.

I don't quite understand the orange colored statement, above? If they had already said no buyback after fix choice is made, then why would they "open the fix process"?

Am considering writing a few journalists about this issue and/or just doing a full-on twitter/facebook blast on VW's site. At the very least, we should have our settlement money in-hand at this point, and I'd like extra $$ for what I spent in gas driving a nissan rogue on two big roadtrips over the past 5 weeks.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Let me clarify.

the settlement allows us (qualified owners) a cash payment, paid after/with either a sell back or installation of the approved fix.

the process VW uses is a web-based sequence, which the dealer service department starts by entering the VIN, instructions to the dealer include entry of a specific coded number, which is provided by someone up the chain, only after verifying the approved fix application for this vin, and specific verification that the car owner understands that proceeding with the fix takes the sell-back off the table.

the service web interface leads the dealer service folks on a step by step process, including taking photos, running software programs on service equipment, replacement of parts, and installation of stickers....

this actual service procedure will not call for changing the car in any way until after the step which verifies that the owner has verified no buy back.

of course, this was all set up assuming that VW knew what it was doing, and had a process that would complete on the subject cars.

after a freakin month, the logic for me falls apart. would be nice, looking back, if there was an additional remedy for us which was triggered by a maximum in-the-shop time for the fix.

reconsider sell-back, additional cash, something.

when I called the emissions info line, it was to ask if they would allow change back to the sell back if the fiasco of partly fixed cars in limbo continues. The answer was, you made your choice, no buy back for you. and by the way, we have no idea how long this will take. anything else I can do for you?

there is a real burden in this for affected owners.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Rant:

ok, it has been over a month for a six hour fix.

the loaner is nice, but it does not meet the functional utility of my JSW. no roof rails, no room for five pairs of skis and boots and luggage.

Where are you skiing this time of year? Keep the pressure on VW be happy knowing you're not the only one and they are aware of the issue.

Have you tried calling some of the ligation lawyers?

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just looking forward. based on earlier proven performance... this could be six months.

I was going to upstate NY to fish/camp on top of the car next week.

also would be nice to use the car to transport my bike for a bike ride.

loaner has no hitch reciever, no room inside for the bike ( I guess I could take the bike apart...)

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I feel you're pain, this past weekend the dealer had the Alltack for a airbag error. Luckily they gave me a 16 GSW S, I tossed on our roofracks and kayaks and enjoyed the most of it.

As for your rental, with enough tie down strap you can get anything strapped straight to the roof!! hehehe

little known secret all rentals have 4WD and love to catch air. Go mental.

Best of luck and keep us informed.

Howie09tdi

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI(buyback gone) 2015 BEETLE TDI
Had my 09 (09/08 build date) in on Sept 8 2017 dealer had loaner ready called 3 hours later unable to do recall due to software issue .Still waiting to hear from dealer

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Had my 09 (09/08 build date) in on Sept 8 2017 dealer had loaner ready called 3 hours later unable to do recall due to software issue .Still waiting to hear from dealer
what did they give you for a loaner?

Howie09tdi

TDI
what did they give you for a loaner?
2017 beetle turbo GOT MY JETTA BACK STILL WAITING TO HEAR FROM DEALER ABOUT SOFTWARE FIX,DEALER SUPPOSEDLY REACHES OUT TO CORPORATE DAily
unfortunately i commute a 1k miles a week gonna kill my $$$$

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1K a week on an 09? you gotta be pushing some high miles on that puppy, you crack 250K yet?

adrienne

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Hi y'all,

So I have a "2010" DSG TDI Sportwagen. Or at least I thought I did until I went to the dealership today to get The Fix.

Fortunately, I have a good dealership and I've been working with them since I bought the car, because when we sat down to check the car in, the manager stopped right there, apologized right up front and explained to me that he can't fix my car.

He said (and I asked him to repeat it a few times) that my car is actually considered a 2009 (Mexico, 12/23/2009) and I am one of 307 cars that won't take the software fix. He told me he currently has no idea when a fix will happen but that VW is working on it. "Maybe in a month" ... but he said it with that question mark in his tone of voice.

The car was in for the O2 sensor recall, as well as a couple other things, so he offered me a free rental while they worked on those things, and also straight out said he would do what he can on the price of the other work because of the inconvenience and lack of understanding of this rare "situation".

We few. The proud. The rotten luck-ers. And thanks to meerschm, I finally tracked down this thread. I'm not on here much since I bought the car.

I am grateful that I have a good dealership, who were educated enough to know what to do, and aren't going to touch the hardware until they have the software. And he gave me a brand new 2017 Golf Allsport with 500 miles on it as a loaner, too.

But I'm angry. Canaries. We drew the shortest sticks somehow and it sounds like it's going to be a long ride. I'm angry for all of you, the earliest adopters, who are stuck with rotten loaners as salt in the wound, which gets rubbed every day. And I'm frustrated that VW clearly has no idea what's wrong.

I do think the manager at my place will keep me posted. And I'll be in touch with him and update when I can get any new information.

What's the latest count here on the forum - how many of us have this specific 2009 DSG 'won't take the software' issue? 4 or 5? More?

Edited to Add: I just remembered that the manager used the VWGOA site to indicate that my car has no fix yet. So there has to be something in my data with them that They Know somehow. When I logged in just now it says there is not yet an approved fix for my car, even though I got a letter saying I could go to the dealership ... What about comparing VINs as well as date of make/country? Mine's 3VWTL7AJ5AM647333, and Mexico 12/23/09 (as I mentioned above).

Grasping for ideas,

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If they would give me a golf wagon, at least it would be a functional substitute.

(ok, it is a little fun to drive this CC around. but I had plans...)

was thinking about possible things this could be.

perhaps a batch of controllers with less memory installed, perhaps something else.

could be related to a previous recall. could be a variation in interface so that the software updating program does not work on these cars..

my guess is that by now they know which parts are involved, how many cars, and have a couple possible solutions.

just have to get VW to fork up whatever additional cost it will entail, and then brief 832 folks in various agencies and law firms.

this is not rocket science.. just making a programmable transmission shift when it is supposed to. VW has quite a few DSG transmissions in service on many different cars. there is one in my CC loaner.

They have not updated the VWGoA site. my page still says:

The next step in the process is to schedule your appointment to complete the Approved Emissions Modification. An Emissions Modification for your vehicle is not yet approved by EPA/CARB. Volkswagen will contact you when there is an update on the status of the Emissions Modification for your vehicle.

which is what it has said since late last year.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wonder if these was tied to a that bad batch of mechtronics units on the '09 and '10s that VW extended the warranty on.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
swung by the place, they moved my car 20 feet and washed the bird crap off.

adviser now says they have four of these, and he says VW does not have a clue.

mpriolo

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan, DSG, CP3 HPFP
swung by the place, they moved my car 20 feet and washed the bird crap off.

adviser now says they have four of these, and he says VW does not have a clue.
Speaking of not having a clue. I contacted my dealership this morning to get an update. The service rep I have been working with was out today so they patched me through to a different service rep. They checked on my tdi, got back on the phone with me, and said they diagnosed the problem as a bad fuel pump and replaced it plus other fuel system components, and my car would be ready on Monday. Huh?!?! I told them not my car, to forget the update, and I'll contact my Service Rep next week.

BTW - glad I have a CP3 pump now.

Regards,

Marty

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Meerschm, you've been more than patient and understanding this whole time. They keep your car hostage and can't even be bothered to give you a comparable vehicle? Making me rethink our choice and turn our JSW in...

BTW - glad I have a CP3 pump now.
Sorry Marty, a cp3 pump is not a dealer installed upgrade. That's aftermarket. They just installed another version of the same pump you had which is slightly better but still a cp4.

mpriolo

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan, DSG, CP3 HPFP
Meerschm, you've been more than patient and understanding this whole time. They keep your car hostage and can't even be bothered to give you a comparable vehicle? Making me rethink our choice and turn our JSW in...
Sorry Marty, a cp3 pump is not a dealer installed upgrade. That's aftermarket. They just installed another version of the same pump you had which is slightly better but still a cp4.
That wasn't my tdi with the failed fuel pump, it was someone else's. I installed the CP3 pump kit last summer - many thanks to Andrew for engineering the kit. One of the benefits of the pump (in addition to it's reliability) is a slight bump in the fuel mileage. Might offset the loss from the emissions fix - whenever I get to drive it that is.

Regards,

Marty

Meg8

TDI
Hi y'all,

So I have a "2010" DSG TDI Sportwagen. Or at least I thought I did until I went to the dealership today to get The Fix.

Fortunately, I have a good dealership and I've been working with them since I bought the car, because when we sat down to check the car in, the manager stopped right there, apologized right up front and explained to me that he can't fix my car.

He said (and I asked him to repeat it a few times) that my car is actually considered a 2009 (Mexico, 12/23/2009) and I am one of 307 cars that won't take the software fix. He told me he currently has no idea when a fix will happen but that VW is working on it. "Maybe in a month" ... but he said it with that question mark in his tone of voice.

The car was in for the O2 sensor recall, as well as a couple other things, so he offered me a free rental while they worked on those things, and also straight out said he would do what he can on the price of the other work because of the inconvenience and lack of understanding of this rare "situation".

We few. The proud. The rotten luck-ers. And thanks to meerschm, I finally tracked down this thread. I'm not on here much since I bought the car.

I am grateful that I have a good dealership, who were educated enough to know what to do, and aren't going to touch the hardware until they have the software. And he gave me a brand new 2017 Golf Allsport with 500 miles on it as a loaner, too.

But I'm angry. Canaries. We drew the shortest sticks somehow and it sounds like it's going to be a long ride. I'm angry for all of you, the earliest adopters, who are stuck with rotten loaners as salt in the wound, which gets rubbed every day. And I'm frustrated that VW clearly has no idea what's wrong.

I do think the manager at my place will keep me posted. And I'll be in touch with him and update when I can get any new information.

What's the latest count here on the forum - how many of us have this specific 2009 DSG 'won't take the software' issue? 4 or 5? More?

Edited to Add: I just remembered that the manager used the VWGOA site to indicate that my car has no fix yet. So there has to be something in my data with them that They Know somehow. When I logged in just now it says there is not yet an approved fix for my car, even though I got a letter saying I could go to the dealership ... What about comparing VINs as well as date of make/country? Mine's 3VWTL7AJ5AM647333, and Mexico 12/23/09 (as I mentioned above).

Grasping for ideas,
Thanks Adrienne!

I was trying to figure out how many cars could be affected ... your dealership is one of the good ones! I wonder if that was 307 cars currently stuck at dealerships nationwide, or 307 '09 vehicles total? There is my car and another identical silver sportwagen at my dealership in san diego; last week I had called around to two other local dealerships, who ran my vin and said my car was OK for the fix....and reported they had not had any of the software issues crop up. Perhaps something has shown up on their systems since I made those inquiries.

And to meerschm's mention of the settlement portal view: for the first 2 weeks after 8/11, my dashboard said that there was a fix available and that my status was to take in to an appointment, and then it switched back over to the previous fix pending status.

In other news.... I was given contact info from my lawyer friend for a vw lawyer on the plaintiff side who is apparently really good. Will be looking into my legal options this next week and will keep this thread informed.

Eliminator SS

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
I'll consider myself lucky that my '10 (09 built) car is just having shifting problems after the "fix" and I can still drive it.

Howie09tdi

TDI
Claims portal still shows no "Emission modification for your vehicle not ready yet"!
09/08 Jetta TDI