HOW-TO: 1999.5 MK4 02J Shift Linkage Upgrade

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 1999.5 Jetta, 2001 Golf, 2003 Jetta Wagon, and too many others I've lost count
Not sure if that shaft will work. I've got two in my garage for projects that I have planned and I looked at them. Both are the same, the shaft is smooth at the end where as yours has a flat on it and grooves in it. Do you have the cap/plug that the shaft goes into? When you look at the bottom of the transmission, it has the VW cast into it. I would be sure to use the cap/plug that was with that shaft.

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 1999.5 Jetta, 2001 Golf, 2003 Jetta Wagon, and too many others I've lost count
Tip about shift box removal

Just a tip to anyone that goes to a pick-your-part junk yard to get these parts. When you are removing the shift box, remove the two bolts from the underside of the car first, then remove the two nuts from the top side.

The tabs that the bolts go through are pretty thin and made of cast pot metal/aluminum. If the shift box is not held up as you remove these bolts, the tabs break off. You've been warned.

gmninja84

TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI (Manual) / 2002 Jetta TDI (Manual)
Okay, I may just run to a local junk yard and try to find another shaft. I don't know if I can get the cap plug that the shaft corresponds to. I will have to ask person I bought this from.

Last edited:

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
This is what the cap/plug looks like from the bottom of the trans. Be aware that some gear lube may come out when you pull it off the trans.

When I did this conversion on my 99.5 Jetta, I didn't need to change the cap/plug, the original cap worked fine with the newer gear selector shaft, but I don't recall the newer shaft having the flat and grooves like the one you showed in your picture.

gmninja84

TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI (Manual) / 2002 Jetta TDI (Manual)
Another quick question guys; the rubber covers that protect the shift cables from under the car on my replacement cables are a worn and falling off. Can I remove them or will this leading to damage over the long term for the cables?

Last edited:

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm not sure what the purpose of the black rubber fin things on the shift cables are for. I suspect it is to keep air flowing around the cables since they are right over the exhaust heat shield or to keep them from moving around and making noise or getting chaffed.

One of the shift boxes that I have is missing the black rubber fins and I was thinking about slipping some foam pipe insulation over the cables instead.

I'm interested if anyone else has any insight on this.

kray

TDI
Golf TDI
Did this swap over the course of a few hours. Had the car up in the air and did everything slowly and carefully. Everything bolted right into place like it was meant to be there. Thanks for the details!

tdi_micah

TDI
99.5 Jetta
This write-up has been very helpful. I'm about to do the upgrade on mine. I have all the parts except the bracket that holds the cables. Can anyone tell me the part number?

TDI
I'm trying to reinstall the shift tower assembly back into the trans. It's in neutral, so I am able to push down and pull up on the assembly. I am able to slide the rod into the trans and the cup will also seat properly, but the top cover holes do not line up with the holes on the trans. I'm scared to twist the assembly and somehow knock it into a gear that I can't get back out of.

In your experience, should the assembly slide down into the trans and the holes will match up? I've seen another post somewhere that said install the assembly first and then the cover, but I don't see how that's possible since there's a slight twist to attach the two pieces.

Any thoughts?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
The cover pivots on the shaft (actually the shaft pivots in the cover).

The Shaft as detents, so it may be in the wrong detent, just rotate the shaft relative to the cover until the two bolt holes line up.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
take the shaft and cover assy out of the transmission. Rotate the cover left and right, there will be a detent in each direction, and one in the middle. If the transmission is in neutral, then the one in the middle is the one you want.

Also, you can install the shift lever (golf club) onto the shaft, to hold it in place, and rotate the cover with the shaft held. That way you don't have to worry about the shaft moving the transmission out of neutral (which really isn't an issue anyway, as you can easily put it back into neutral later)

TDI
take the shaft and cover assy out of the transmission. Rotate the cover left and right, there will be a detent in each direction, and one in the middle. If the transmission is in neutral, then the one in the middle is the one you want.

Also, you can install the shift lever (golf club) onto the shaft, to hold it in place, and rotate the cover with the shaft held. That way you don't have to worry about the shaft moving the transmission out of neutral (which really isn't an issue anyway, as you can easily put it back into neutral later)

when i try to install it in the center, neutral, position, the holes don't line up. i just tried lining up the shaft key to the front and the holes to match. it definitely wasn't the correct position, but it did seat properly. i had reverse, although a bit clunky, and the middle position gate. it didn't pull up. I knew it was wrong, but that's the only way i can see it going in properly. going to take it back out now and regroup...again.

thanks for any help.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
Installation:
8. Once the shaft is in place, lube the top portion of the shaft with G-070 trans fluid, then slide the top cover onto the shaft. Tighten the two 8mm holding bolts (with 13mm heads).
Is there a need for a gasket between the transmission body and the shifter tower?