2004 BEW Lift Pump

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
When I turn the key on there is no sound from the lift pump on my car, so I am assuming it is time to replace the lift pump. I took the back seat out to make sure, and still not a sound.

While shopping for a new pump I ran across the kit from IDParts that allows you to replace the innards of the existing pump. Costs a hair over $100 and sounds like a decent option. So, I thought I'd ask the Club for their opinion on this. Anyone try this?

Here's the link:
https://www.idparts.com/pd-in-tank-lift-pump-replacement-motor-bew-p-7144.html

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
That was my first check.... all good. Got 12v at the terminals at the pump.

Really, the car runs just fine as is. My other BEW made a rather distinct whoosh (lasting only a second) then was silent. This one makes no sound.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Yep! I did a pump only replacement.

It is a very messy job. You have to be very careful disassembling the unit to get the old pump out. You almost need three hands to separate the plastic tabs, etc. Of course, someone may know a trick or two as how to best accomplish the disassembly job.

The white plastic hoses are a very tight fit. So, although there were new plastic hoses with the pump kit, I did not attempt to remove the other end if the old hoses down in the bottom of the assembly if I remember correctly. So, I reused the old pipes ... they fit tight and the car has been in service over a year now with no problems.

The old pump worked just fine after I freed it up. For some strange reason "soot" is dumped in the fuel tank from the return fuel line. I thought at first it was black algae but was told by others here in the forums it is soot. So, that huge assembly will be all black and messy when you pull it out. Use lots of newspapers, etc., to absorb any fuel you may (will) spill taking the unit out.

Tip: Take pics of the unit before you disassemble it. It is very easy to cross the two white fuel pipes on the unit........... if you do, then the entire unit will have to be removed and start all over (don't ask me how I know). It is very easy to do.

Clarification: Ah, ha, it's not the pipes that can be accidently crossed, it is putting the check-valve back together properly. It does fall apart as you do the disassembly of the unit. So, it is very important to re-assemble the check-valve correctly, if not, the pump will be pushing against a dead end. Hint: It is a bit confusing as to how it is assembled.

Seems I did a Thread. I'll search for it. And, I did take photos.

Hope this is helpful

EDIT: Well, looks like it was over two years ago. Here is a link to the Thread. I only posted one pic at Post #5. However, I did take lots of photos but I don't think I loaded any others to the photo gallery. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=460746

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Here in Canada the landed price on a brand-new VDO sender/pump was north of $450, vs the replacement pump-only for $100... and the new VDO's don't bypass if the pump motor dies... so my choice was easy. :)

Agree with Andy... it's not a hard job just a bit messy. And, you're dealing with plastic parts that are old and diesel-soaked, so being gentle is the order of the day as you pull the old assembly apart to get to the pump.

Otherwise, pretty darn straightforward.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Here is a pic showing the new pump and one of the new white plastic pipes that comes with the kit. Notice, I did not replace the other pipe. It was going to be a very difficult procedure to remove it from the pipe nipple in the bottom of the unit assembly. So, not broke, don't fix.

Also, I did not install the clamp you can see on the new pipe. I heated the new pipe and forced it down on the nipple. It was a very tight fit and I have no doubt about it functioning just fine for years to come.

The "check-valve" is on the end of the old pipe. It fits into the top part of the unit assembly. The internal parts are easily reversed causing it to function in the wrong direction (see the edit in my other post, in red).

Edit: Here a couple of pics after it was completely re-assembled.

Last edited:

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you Vince, Andy, and Mike!

I've never taken the pump out, let alone taken it apart. The pics help. The advice helps too.

Thanks again guys.....