2003 tdi fuel pump

KDiesel

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
My pump is bad and I want to know which, rebuilds, used on ebay or buying new is the best option.
My warranty insurance says it is not part of the engine and is not covered. What say the people of this forum?
Thank for any input.
Kurt

KDiesel

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
My mechanic tested it, said it was bad.
Wants to give me a remanufactured one with 2 year warranty.
Big $$

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
If the injection pump does not function, then the engine does not function. Call Consumer Affairs and see what they say about your "insurance's" decision.
Or even better, call your local Insurance Commissioner and explain your dilemma and it is very likely they will take your side and see to your engine getting fixed correctly.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
You've probably already tried this... but are the warranty folks aware on the engine the injection pump is bolted to the engine and as integral to the engine as a distributor on a gas engine. In fact, the timing belt runs thru it... no injection pump no engine. :)

Mentioning this because calling it a fuel pump rather than the injection pump perhaps they think it's the traditional fuel pump at the back of the car near the fuel tank?

KDiesel

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Great input! Thanks.
I am pursuing more testimonials about the pumps place as a lubricated engine part. Also will consult consumer affairs and the like.
I will probably have to pay out of pocket and then try to extract fund from insurance co.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Regardless, you should explore getting your pump rebuilt if you can allow the car to be down for a bit. Diesel Fuel Injection Services in Portland Oregon is one of the few shops that can do this, and they're not that far away.

I've never heard of warranty insurance on a 15 year old car. Learn something every day.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I've never heard of warranty insurance on a 15 year old car. Learn something every day.
Oh yeah, you want to pay for it, someone will be there to sell it to you. Crazy, but it happens.

Most of the purchased extra warranties (which are a horribly overpriced undercovered item to begin with) just cover the major mechanicals of the engine, and do not cover any engine management components.

Good news is, often times once you find out the mistake you made in purchasing it in the first place, and realize how useless they usually are, if it has not actually been used you can get a refund for at least a substantial percentage of the cost (maybe 80%), and put that towards the actual repair that is necessary.

However, since a lot of people actually FINANCE this stuff, you won't actually get a "chunk of cash" back. And you end up paying a lot more for them. Gotta read the fine print. :(

My sister got caught in a scam like this, when she bought her '96 Jetta GLX, which already had a CPO warranty from Volkswagen as it was only 18 months old at the time. They got her for a whopping $2800! And the only thing it really "covered" was if a rod blew out the side of the block. Fortunately, I knew the sales manager at the dealership, and got it refunded 100% only two days later for her. Turns out she drove that car another decade and 150k miles and never did spend collectively for everything that needed to be repaired on that car in that time anywhere near $2800.

Last edited: