ALH timing belt

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
As Andy pointed out toward the beginning of this thread, using the correct tools to lock cam and pump, then popping the cam pulley loose is easier. Having done both m&p as well as obtaining the tools and doing it correctly is LOTS easier. And when you are done, you know the cam and pump are in correct relation to the crank. When mechanical timing is correct, you won't be starting yet another 'did the timing belt and my engine won't start' thread.

So, if you've done the job, and everything is OK, or as much OK as possible for now, great. Save your $$ and get the proper tools. That VCDS will help lots. In fact, as you drive the car and get it dialed in, you might end up needing it so seldom that you forget how to use it the next time you need it. But no worries, when you get that next problem resolved, you'll be really glad you have it.

Welcome to the club, bigCVids! Yes, you are a member now!

Cheers,

PH

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
When I was a teenager I worked for an old farmer, we put up a pole barn, because of some building experience with my Dad I went to get the level, transit etc. . “ Nawww he says we’ll just eyeball it.” Well you can guess that the building wasn’t even close to square, level or straight. It was down right funny.

I think all those specs on keeping things straight and level are way to over engineered for putting up buildings.

So why even bother with whiteout when changing a timing belt ? “Just eyeball it, it’ll be close enough”

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
OP's motivation was just to humble brag he got his car together without following the recommended procedure. Then, he adds more posts attempting to continue the spin.

You can get lucky and dial it in with M&P method. It's easier to just do it correctly.

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
In the good ol' 1.6 world, the OP's procedure is warmly referred to as: "hillbillying the job." Cue the banjos now please........