01 Gold TDI, power loss, more power at half throttle, has power add ons. Help?

TRICKTDI

TDI
2001 Golf TDI 5spd
I have an 01 gold TDI with a 5 speed. It has injectors and a tune (can't rember who from sorry), egr elimination pipe, and a vnt17. Car has 190k on it. The car use to run amazing, black smoke and tires a spinning when put to the floor. I will admit that I ignored an intake/exhaust manifold gasket leak for a long time and drove it easy. I replaced the gaskets a couple of months ago and the car hasn't seemed to bounce back. Still spiking to about 20 psi on the gauge. Here is the od symptom.

When I run the car wide open throttle it runs ok, but as I lift on the pedal around a 1/4-1/2 throttle the car will have a surge of power more then WOT. The tune eliminated the check engine light for the EGR so I have no codes. Any suggestions as to what is holding the little monster back? I was thinking about starting with clening the MAF sensor. Any help would be appreciated
Thank you!

neljoshua

TDI
2002 VW Golf GLS
Could be a dirty/broken accelerator pot. These cars use an electronic throttle, which has a potentiometer (pot). I have seen pots in other applications get dirty or damaged and give voltage drops similar to what you are describing.

I would pull the pedal and check the resistance with a meter as you push it. Not sure which pins to check, though.

Josh

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Unplug the MAF and see how it runs. My hot rod jetta ate a MAF a couple of years ago with the same symptoms. Could also be the accel pedal.

aNUT

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'01 TT (ALH-ish), B7 Audi gasser, '05 Golf
I'd really love to see a log if you have VCDS. Log engine measuring blocks group 001, 008, and 011 from 2000-4000 rpm WOT and whatever position is the fastest in 3rd. Email me the .csv file.

Your boost spike may or may not be related, but it's likely caused by a mis-adjusted VNT actuator.

TRICKTDI

TDI
2001 Golf TDI 5spd
Thank you guys. I will try all this. I have a friend at work that I need to ask to bring in his Vag-Com. I will play with it this weekend.

aNUT

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'01 TT (ALH-ish), B7 Audi gasser, '05 Golf
Please log all 3 groups simultaneously BTW. It's much easier to read that way.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I think they had a problem with the gold cars, might want to check that....you can just paint it another color if can't find the problem.

TRICKTDI

TDI
2001 Golf TDI 5spd
Guys he couldn't bring the vag-com into work unitl next week. I took the MAF off today and cleaned it and cleaned all the plug connections and filled them with the electrical grease and it runs like new again. I think me driving the car with the bad manifold gaskets introduce alot of soot into the engine compartment that the airbox sucked in and i likely coated the MAF sensor with it. It was nasty black when I sprayed it down. Thank you for the help..................and yes I was waiting for a comment on the Gold VS Golf typo.
Thank you!