Clutch switch sanity check

r3dplanet

TDI
2004 Golf
Peeps,

I have a 2004 Golf TDI that recently went through a manual gearbox conversion. I'm loving it.

My only trouble is that cruise control doesn't work so I'm going through the troubleshooting process. During the swap we bypassed the clutch safety startup because it seemed so trivial to me. After 30 years of driving a manual I've never had a problem. Of course these two are related but I'm crawling my way through the flowchart and I'm only at the beginning.

Anyway, VCDS reports in the measuring blocks that it doesn't see when the clutch pedal is depressed or at rest. Basically, always depressed. Okay. Looking around I see that there's a new style switch (Part #6Q0927189). So I bought it and went to install it, but it won't physically fit. The two little dissimilar inserts are correct, but in order to press it in and turn clockwise to install, it butts right into the frame for the relays. See photos for clarity.

It could be that I'm a crazy person, but the switch I pulled out was much smaller. Before I spend $40 on another switch (Part #1J0927189C) I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something stupid.

Thanks!

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Can you pull the plunger out on the original switch? Should be able to fully extend it then when you refit it it self adjusts. That's what stopped my cruise working a while back on one of my mk4's

r3dplanet

TDI
2004 Golf
Hello. The switch I pulled was bad according to my meter. The wonder now is where the second clutch switch would mount. There should be two - one for cruise, another for starting safety. Looks like there should be additional / different bracketry. If someone has a photo that would be stellar.

r3dplanet

TDI
2004 Golf
Okay. I see part of the problem. On the top photo I posted the smaller of the two switches is the clutch safety start switch which attaches into a smaller sub-bracket that is missing from my car. No big deal. The larger switch is the cruise control switch. I'll monkey with the brackets tomorrow in the daylight and see if I can wiggle it into place. Then I just need to find the pigtail. Ha.

pudman2003

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Tropical Orange GTD, Lifted Jetta Wagon TDI, MK2 Jetta Coupe GTD
Hey Marcus I don't think there is a second switch on the clutch pedal for BEW.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I thought your guys extra switch was on the floor or something, is it also up top?

We only have one in the UK and it's up top.

r3dplanet

TDI
2004 Golf
Well it's very mysterious. Pudman2003 did some checking through the wiring diagrams and there's only one switch present. But I found a YouTube video where there are clearly two switches on his 2004 1.8 liter Golf. Of course mine is a TDI w/BEW. I wonder how many different changes there are in this configuration.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well it's very mysterious. Pudman2003 did some checking through the wiring diagrams and there's only one switch present. But I found a YouTube video where there are clearly two switches on his 2004 1.8 liter Golf. Of course mine is a TDI w/BEW. I wonder how many different changes there are in this configuration.

Maybe it's just a simple case of your original switch is had it and someone sold you the wrong one to replace it.

I once ordered a cts from a dealer, gave them the vin number, reg number everything and they still managed to hand me the completely wrong one! Totally different shape lol

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A bit of googling and I found this

That looks more like your switch, ecs have it as a brake switch part number 1H0927189C.

It looks like it's also used a clutch switch in the mk3 though over here in the UK from what I can find.

One last thing, is it possible to fit the new switch up the other way so the bulky plug part starts up top? Or is it a one way only?

It's been a while since I've looked

r3dplanet

TDI
2004 Golf
It's one-way only. There are two little fitting tabs 180 degrees apart from each other, one larger in girth than the other. So it clocks in only one position.

r3dplanet

TDI
2004 Golf
More info, photo

Okay. I was able to coax a friend to drive over so I could examine his 2005 Golf. We looked at his clutch pedal and found that I am indeed missing a little metal bracket and there should be two switches. I'm not totally sure which is which.

r3dplanet

TDI
2004 Golf
That's true. The larger picture here is that I'm trying diagnose my non-functional cruise control and the switch that I pulled was indeed broken. In my effort to get a replacement I found that (a) I may not have the correct switch(es) and (b) found the numerous different revisions of what I think are the cruise switch leading me to buy the large blue switch, part#6Q0927189.

Maybe it's just a simple case of your original switch is had it and someone sold you the wrong one to replace it.

I once ordered a cts from a dealer, gave them the vin number, reg number everything and they still managed to hand me the completely wrong one! Totally different shape lol

pudman2003

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Marcus did you look at the wire color on both switches?

r3dplanet

TDI
2004 Golf
The wire that goes to the large blue switch was gunked up and my friend didn't want me to remove the connector to see the colors, which was a bummer. On the above switch on the metal bracket the colors are red with gray stripe and gray with yellow stripe.

Having said that, the gray w/yellow stripe could be black since the flash was on.

pudman2003

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, hang tough we'll get it sorted.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you figure out whether the switch connects or disconnects when the clutch is pressed can you not then do a bodge to test the cruise?

If doing something with those wires gets the cruise to work then wouldn't just be a case of fitting a switch that fits the slot?

I mean all they do is either connect or break a circuit isn't it? At a guess I'd think there's not a lot inside but not sure.

In fact I've got a parts car outside, I'll go get the switch off and have a look lol

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ok so I'm in the UK and we only have the one switch on our mk4 golfs and it's just for the cruise control. I just took the one out my 2001 parts car and it's the same as the one you took out, black and smaller.

I'd send it to you to try if I thought it could get there quick enough lol.

pudman2003

Veteran Member
TDI
Seatman I did a auto to manual swap on the car, Had a tip trans.

According to wire diagrams everything is wired correct, but cruise won't work.

I must have missed something along the way.

r3dplanet

TDI
2004 Golf
Okay, so I'll close this thread with an answer and move on to another thread about cruise control diagnosis. The answer here is that the top, smaller white switch is the clutch start safety switch. Part numbers (at least) 1H0927189D (white) and 1J0927189C (black).

The lower blue switch is the cruise control clutch safety switch, part #1J0927189 (no revision letters). The part number is same as the starter safety switch minus the revision letter. That explains why I couldn't determine which switch did what based solely on the part number. Thanks VW! I hadn't realized numbers had become so expensive. Anyway, this switch was later replaced by part #6Q0927189 and as of the time of this post is the latest version. The earlier version fits in my car, the new style does not due to its bulk.

So, problem solved as to which switch does what.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Glad you got it figured out.
I would have thought the letters were revisions of the original part# w/o the letter.