On a 1/10 scale, how bad is this?

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW

This is a fresh rebuild after 2 pistons had melted. Injector service was (stupidly) overlooked. Rebuild lasted 300 miles before the engine started misfiring on the highway. Kept driving for another 20 miles.

When car reached destination, engine shook massively. Took really long to start.

Upon teardown I noticed that one of the injector connectors had become loose. We proceeded to re-connect it and it seems firm. I put the cover valve back on and to my surprise it fired right up and idled perfectly...

As it warmed up it started to get a little shaky and this is what VCDS shows.

Is there any way to know if the pistons are facked again without doing a teardown?

It has new cam, new lifters, new rings, new pistons, PD150 headbolts, etc

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Take a screen shot of measured value block 18 and 23 at idle. See if we can determine if it is an injector issue or not.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I know all this computer stuff is great, but back to basics, a borascope down the injector hole, leak down test, compression test, will revile more than a USB connection ever can.
You got pictures of the melted piston? believe it or not, there are members here who think that pistons cant get melted in a TDI!

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
i would swap in a known good injector in the 3rd cylinder although the nr1 is also reading high values. If shaking doesnt stop then i woukd whip the head off, likely to have slight bent rods...

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
Fixed it!!
Took the valve cover off one more time and checked the injectors bolt downs. Cylinder 3 boltdown bolt was completely loose.

I thightened all 4 to spec and now she purrs!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Those are one-time-use bolts, and there have been multiple times where the head was ruined because of people reusing them and having them come loose.

Glad you found the problem, glad you got it fixed, but I hope it actually stays that way for you.

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW

oilhammer, even if I get new bolts, I don't think I trust it. Could I fit bigger bolts?

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Those bolts have a countersunk head that matches the hold down... I wouldn't mess with using any aftermarket kludged together mess. Use OE new bolts and torque to spec, drive more, worry less.