Programming new key; not going exactly as expected

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S
I have a 2011 JSW and am trying to program a new key I bought from tunemyeuro.com and rented the VAGTACHO from them. Looking at some videos and websites, it appears there are several ECUs that cover 2011. There is VDO V3 for MY 2011-2013 and VDO V1, V2 for MY 2009-2011.

Will either one work or do I have to pick a certain one? If I picked the wrong one, will I risk messing something up?

I think the VAGTACHO is only used to start the car and isn't useful for keyless entry. How do you get keyless entry to work on this key?
-Nick

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
Keyless entry is programmed on the cecm I believe. I posted a link earlier on how to program keys to the cecm in the headlight thread below.

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
I ended up connecting to the Magnetti Marelli -CAN bus UDS protocol and was able to program the key to start the car and drive around. Now i am left to try and program the key for the keyless lock/unlock.

I don't have access to VCDS, but have a friend at work that does and I'll have to try that next week, but I tried (without success) doing it manually without the VCDS found here: https://www.tunemyeuro.com/vw-key-fob-programming-guide/#program

Manual Programming

1) Unlock the door to your car using the key blade

2) Insert your old key blade into the ignition and turn it to the "on" position, but do not start the car.
3) Roll down your driver's side window

4) Step out of the car and insert your new key into the driver's door lock, now turn the key to the left and hold it in that position for 10 seconds.

5) Now press the lock button on the FOB

6) Now press the unlock button on the FOB

The car should blink its flashers or beep, letting you know that programming is now complete. I have seen 2001 and older cars that this did not work on. If the microswitch in the driver's door lock is broken, this method will not work.

Last edited:

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
The only way I was able to get the remote programmed was using Vag-Com. None of the "manual" procedures did anything.

Following the Vag-Com procedure, the instructions say the car is supposed to acknowledge with blinking the turn signals. In my case, it did not do anything, but the remote WAS accepted.

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
The only way I was able to get the remote programmed was using Vag-Com. None of the "manual" procedures did anything.

Following the Vag-Com procedure, the instructions say the car is supposed to acknowledge with blinking the turn signals. In my case, it did not do anything, but the remote WAS accepted.
Thanks, I was able to get the key working with a friend that has Vag-Com. Like you, the car never acknowledged with blinking turn signals or beeping horns.