Got the all-too-common P0741 "Torque Converter Clutch" code on my "new" B5.5 TDI

FolksWaggin

TDI
2005 GLS TDI Passat sedan
Got the all-too-common P0741 "Torque Converter Clutch" code on my "new" B5.5 TDI

I'm hoping to get advice and documentation to bring to my dealer to avoid a bigger problem.

I've seen Audi factory service bulletins on the forums for this apparently common problem, but is there any documentation specific to the B5.5 Passat about Tiptronic torque converter diagnoses? I want to make sure the folks who try to fix my "new" car are informed of the likely issues and pitfalls of misdiagnoses.

Here's the story:

I'm in Northwest Connecticut and I just bought a 2005 TDI GLS Passat Sedan from a small independent used car dealer. I love the car, but the 2nd day I had it the MIL went on. Autozone scanned for free and got the P0741 - 'Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off' code.
:(

My dealer seems completely willing to deal with the situation -- I need to drop the car off with them tomorrow so their mechanic can look at it. I'm hoping they use a reputable shop because, from everything I've read here, it seems that if it's the torque converter and I don't get it fixed right away I could be damaging all kinds of things inside the Tiptronic (reverse clutch, etc.).

Should I make them take it to the local VW dealer? Is there some TSB I should give to them to show their mechanic? The dealer has experience with German cars, and the guys there seem to know their stuff, but I'm still a little nervous.

Please help me make a smart decision here.

joegt3

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
I to live in Northwestern Connecticut with an 05 TDI, welcome. Although I cannot answer your specific question I can recomend an excellent independant VW guy, Fred Newman of Mechanical Advantage in Barkhamsted CT 860 738 1480. If you want a knowldgeable dealer go to the VW Dealer in New Milford the service manager is Ian Walters 860 354 3977.

Good Luck
Joe Annicelli
Colebrook CT

FolksWaggin

TDI
I can recomend an excellent independant VW guy, Fred Newman of Mechanical Advantage in Barkhamsted CT 860 738 1480. If you want a knowldgeable dealer go to the VW Dealer in New Milford the service manager is Ian Walters 860 354 3977.
Thanks, Joe. I've passed that place in Barkhamsted before but never stopped in; I'll keep it in mind. I'm in New Milford, so the local dealer would be my first choice if my used car dealer is willing to take it to a VW service dept.

Has anyone had experience with the mandatory CT warranty on used cars? I know my dealer is obliged to fix the car; I'm guessing it's up to him who he takes it to.

Thanks,
Rob

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
the only cure for the p0741 seems to be tc replacement, lets hope that when you saw the code it was first time it's appeared and not just been cleared before you bought it as the failing tc can dump debris through your transmission if not promptly replaced.

FolksWaggin

TDI
the only cure for the p0741 seems to be tc replacement, lets hope that when you saw the code it was first time it's appeared and not just been cleared before you bought it...
The independent dealer I bought it from seemed pretty familiar with the problem and was totally on board with replacing the TC once I told him what code came up. Seems like the previous owner was real good about maintaining the car -- it's immaculate for a car with 85,000 miles on it. Hopefully the inside of the drivetrain looks as good as the outside of the entire car.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
wouldn't be a bad idea to do a trans filter/pan cleaning/ fluid change as well. I would consider it part of the repair.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
To add to what TS said in post 4:

The one issue you should consider is: Did the previous owner trade in the car because of the TC issue? If they were they driving around with it slipping for a while, then the life of the transmission could be reduced.

When you get a code like that 2 days after purchasing a vehicle, it makes sense to wonder if the code was present but cleared sometime before you bought it.

You might want to try to get the dealer to give you a 1 yr extended warranty on the complete transmission, for example, to give you some piece of mind.

Good luck

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
thats one reason i was suggesting a pan drop. if the dealer fixes it it should carry some kind of warranty on the work. dealers purchase warranties to insure against big expensive repairs. it wouldn't be first time a dealer purchased a warranty knowing trans had a problem

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jack mentioned you had a double r and r trans tc job recently, was it a problem with the eriksson tc or something else? is there a link/post of the trans r and r procedure? its only gone 10 miles since code and I don't want to tempt fate driving it any distance.

FolksWaggin

TDI
wouldn't be a bad idea to do a trans filter/pan cleaning/ fluid change as well. I would consider it part of the repair.
Thanks again for all the suggestions, folks. I just checked with the dealer and he said he had a VW OEM TC and a new filter ready to go into the car.

In talking to him some more, it sounds like he's dealt with this situation on quite a few VWs and Audis, so I'm feeling okay about this right now.

I too was thinking some shady person might have reset the code just before I bought it; if that's the case, it was probably the dealer that initially got the car on a trade-in (a local Honda dealer that also has Porsche and Audi dealerships in their franchise). Is there any way to read the computer codes to know if they have been reset?

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
Thanks again for all the suggestions, folks. I just checked with the dealer and he said he had a VW OEM TC and a new filter ready to go into the car.

In talking to him some more, it sounds like he's dealt with this situation on quite a few VWs and Audis, so I'm feeling okay about this right now.

I too was thinking some shady person might have reset the code just before I bought it; if that's the case, it was probably the dealer that initially got the car on a trade-in (a local Honda dealer that also has Porsche and Audi dealerships in their franchise). Is there any way to read the computer codes to know if they have been reset?
I wouldn't put it past Hoffman,,,,,,the only group I know in CT that has both out your way.