GTB Turbo with orig actuator on edc15/msa15?

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
A bit off topic but IIRC (could also be I dreamed it) there was posted somewhere a link to a device that could be plugged in place of H bridge actuated actuator and gave out a PWM signa to control a solenoid.

I am in the need of such device. I need to control 2 solenoids on my car and I adjust the tuning to make the desired duty cycle on the ASV and Swirl output. (DC motor with H bridge control inside the ECU) so I cannot leave away the actuator physically. so my solution now if to tie wrap an actuator under the hood, plug it in a tap into the position sensor feedback and use this voltage to modulate a PWM signal. it works but is quite ugly solution for something simple I feel

intaketommy

TDI
VW Polo PD130
I bought this model of actuator but it won't work with the N75 signal. mine is the G35 version. Any ideas?
How do you test it?

I also test a electronic actuator. First it moved, then I did N75 test (0% / 100% duty cycle) ....actuator stopped working.
I read the acuator goes in stop postion, when duty cycle is over 95% or under 5%? ....so the acuator will refresh himself or not?

(I can only test this directly on the car.)

Byd1380

TDI
Mk2 Golf - VNT20 setup
(I can only test this directly on the car.)
I can only test on the car also. I actually got mine to work. I had disconnected the N75 and was using the PWM signal during the VAGcom output tests. But the ECU needs to see the resistance of the N75 valve. Once I connected it back in and jumped onto the N75 PWM wire it worked fine. Hope to get bracket made up and it fitted this week.

Ivan

ehanc69

TDI
2001, 2003
You could try asking ivohi (above) as he has the correct information. That being said I have yet to implement mine due to unavoidable work related issues. Thank you ivohi!

HamBam

TDI
All
Did someone tested this with a EDC17? (CBAB Engine)
I cant find anywhere informations about that.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
there is no difference I guess. only the PID settings on the position governor for the smart actuator could be too agressive for the electric actuator. nonetheless this governor can easily be disabled ad the electric actuator has its own internal position governor

HamBam

TDI
All
But at the moment nobody tested this sucsessfully?

I want to use it, but if no one is using that at his engine, i must change it to the old actuator.

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI

Test will come when rest of the van is ready. T5GP with BMW 2260vk.

Lähetetty minun Moto G (4) laitteesta Tapatalkilla

HamBam

TDI
All

Test will come when rest of the van is ready. T5GP with BMW 2260vk.

How did you fix the wrong resistence from the actuator? Did you tested the basic settings/diagnosis with VCDS?

Maybe its a solution to disable the faultcode in the ecu, like we do with disconnected EGR stuff... (EDC17)

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
That Transporter is still unfinished. It will take few weeks before its diriveable

HamBam

TDI
All
I think it will fail if you dont change something at the ECU or the actuator. Look some posts before.

i dont have a actuatoer here, otherwise i could test it on a 1.6 tdi.

Last edited:

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
I bet the ECU will be doable; )

Only real hurdle should be the actuator feedback signal if it is somehow different than on the original actuator. But now that I think of it we are using Bi turbo ecu and harness and IIRC it does not even use actuator position sensors.
And in worst case I can just delete the codes from the actuator signal. Done that many times on Crafters with EDC17CP20 ecus.

ehanc69

TDI
2001, 2003
Here is where I stopped on mine. The pieces of blue tape are on the connections to my circuit. I failed to run the power to the actuator and therefore it would not start. However after reading the above it sounds like it was not going to start even if I had? As above I purchased the gtb turbo hella actuator part number 6NW 009 228 however looking at it the actuator lever is oriented 180 degrees opposite from the one on the turbo? I am not sure whether it will even return to start and be able to hook up to the actuator arm? The actuator on the turbo also has a smaller plug than the one above and I was not confident that should I try to hook it directly to the n75 as above that it would function without mods or hassle? Any ideas?

ehanc69

TDI
2001, 2003
Did you use the original GTD2060 vz actuator? If you do not mind, how did you accomplish making the actuator work on your Alfa?

ehanc69

TDI
2001, 2003
I got this 6NW009228 BMW actuator as per above. The arm on it was so far away from the arm on the original actuator that it almost looked reversed. How do you command it via the N75?

Lucian189

Veteran Member
TDI
3.0 TDI CR
That actuator works like vacuum.acctuator..its.easy
That will keep vanes closed and open when needed!

ehanc69

TDI
2001, 2003
Did you simply invert the PWM signal and it worked? Does the merc arm return to same default location as the original actuator?

ehanc69

TDI
2001, 2003
Here is part of the process of attaching the turbo intake manifold to the turbo. For some reason the machine shop wanted me to cut off the excess part:

ehanc69

TDI
2001, 2003
Here are two actuators side by side. The arms are farther apart than will allow the BMW actuator to even engage the actuator rod. Does your merc arm return enough so that it will operate the turbo? Does your merc actuator sit in the same location as the original GTD2060VZ turbo or did you have to clock it?

Lucian189

Veteran Member
TDI
3.0 TDI CR
I used original acctuator suport,and monted the acctator on that.
Made an arm for it and that was it..tuning related stuff now because ecu opens acctustor to soon

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
you should be able to swap the PCB from from one on another. so you can made the PWM based PCB on the original gtd2060 actuator. so there is no hassle with rods etc required

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
Yes. Just change the top part of the actuators. They are interchangeable.