No timing mark on flywheel...

draco76

Veteran Member
TDI
99 NB(sold), 03 NB(sold), 100% bug free :) 99.5 4d Golf, 2004 GL Wagon
Mech is putting my engine back together and can't find the flywheel timing mark. I looked didn't find one ether. 03 beetle tdi auto.

Whats up? Guess we just stamp a new mark? Put in top dead center and stamp or what?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Yeah, there seems to be something missing! Or, I'm missing something.

Either way, it ain't there!

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Heck, there's a perfectly good example right here on the TDIClub...

http://pics2.tdiclub.com/pdf/a4timingbelt.pdf

Go to the picture numbered 53 or 54 It's a view from the driver's side looking at the transmission bellhousing, showing the '0' mark that needs to be at the bottom of the bell housing window.

Another way to locate TDC is by finding a chisel mark on the harmonic balancer and lining the mark with a dimple on the top of the crankshat timing belt cover plate. The TDC mark is perpendicular to the oil pan gasket in a line that runs through the middle of the crank sprocket.

The mark on the harmonic balancer is not as accurate as the flywheel, but it sure gets you in the neighborhood quickly without a lot of searching.

rackaracka

Veteran Member
Automatic Trans Timing Mark

Franko6 said:
Heck, there's a perfectly good example right here on the TDIClub...

http://pics2.tdiclub.com/pdf/a4timingbelt.pdf

Go to the picture numbered 53 or 54 It's a view from the driver's side looking at the transmission bellhousing, showing the '0' mark that needs to be at the bottom of the bell housing window.

Another way to locate TDC is by finding a chisel mark on the harmonic balancer and lining the mark with a dimple on the top of the crankshat timing belt cover plate. The TDC mark is perpendicular to the oil pan gasket in a line that runs through the middle of the crank sprocket.

The mark on the harmonic balancer is not as accurate as the flywheel, but it sure gets you in the neighborhood quickly without a lot of searching.
If you look carefully at the picture referenced by Frank06 you'll see the timing mark is an 0 with a horizontal line thru it. This should be aligned with the very bottom edge of the visible window when the timing is dead on. In the picture, the timing would be a hair off (probably where you'll find it when you initally lock the cam). The crankshaft will need to be moved a hair clockwise to line up that picture. Also, the "chisel mark" on the damper pulley is on the back serpentine belt lip - to me it's more of a notch than a chisel mark. You can feel it easier than seeing it because it's around 11 o'clock on the damper pulley when aligned to tdc.

draco76

Veteran Member
TDI
Found it, was looking on the flywheel/torque converter before. Really very hard to see.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
To avoid confusion, it's not Frank 06.. it's Franko 6

Draco, the mark IS on the Flywheel!! The mark on the harmonic balancer/ TB cover shield is only a close reference. Don't depend on the front pulley mark for anything except to get you close.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
On an automatic, the mark is on the driveplate. They don't have flywheels. ;)

draco76

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes was on the drive plate, the flywheel is welded to the torque converter.(had no marks)

Got the motor mostly back together today, its all timed out. We spun it around a few times and all the marks lined up, didn't have any valves hitting. Just have to put all the other crap back on and slap the engine/tranny back in. Should be running next week. (I hope)

Never have I seen an intake manifold as gummed up as this one was and the EGR was just full of the same crap took me 3 hours to get it all cleaned up.