New Owner, 2012 Sportwagon... The Journey starts!

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Just called AAA, and the warranty is worthless, as, whilst I am a 15 year member, the original purchaser has to be present to make the warranty exchange. PO is unresponsive about anything since the day after I bought the car, so thats not an option.

One thought was that I know the car sat at the VW dealer for 3 months, and I think its safe to assume it drained and died during that period. I know that will mortally wound a battery, when it drains to 0v.

When the battery was off the car for the service, I put it on my Smart Charger in "Repair Mode", and that tests, desulphates, and charges. It was on that for 3 hours or so, and in a short time, it showed a 100% reading afterwards.
I'm also thinking that something like an interior light maybe on, draining the battery. I gave a quick look and saw nothing, but the glovebox light did not go off when I pressed what I thought was the trigger button.

Need to check that before I get into spending $ on a battery for nothing.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
BTW, I forgot that my wife would be taking the bug to work this morning but here is a shot of the wagon with Air80 on every window except the windshield

and here is the front windshield that we just replaced for $200 or less:

The brand is FUYAO and I had to ask for it by name.

There are three levels of quality when asking for parts: OE, OEM, and aftermarket.
OE is original equipment (built for manufacturer), OEM is original equipment manufacturer (built to manufacturer spec but not necessarily for the manufacturer itself), and aftermarket (built to fit...hopefully).

So when you're calling around you may need to specify that, although you aren't going to the dealer (OE), you still want OEM quality but not aftermarket. they should be able to offer 3 tiers of pricing: going down to the dealership and getting your windshield and putting it in, sourcing the same glass used at the dealership, and then the cheapest aftermarket alternative. I'm assuming you're aiming for that OEM tier, and that's what I found FUYAO to be when I ran some searches on the different brands the glass places told me over the phone.

and yes, it's been raining here too you just can't see the water on the ground. Sorry to hear it's gloomy over there :)

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Got it.
If you can PM me, or post details of where you got the glass done, it would be great. If I have to spend $30 in gas to save $150, I'm up for that!

Just went out and looked at the glass... the vertical crack has not grown much, and is barely visible from the inside, so I think I will wait until I get back from the AZ run.
Do these cars have to sit to let the glass bonding set?

Back to the battery. After a 26 mile run yesterday, the battery should have been good to go. The volt meter was reading 11.7v Key on.

Confirmed the glovebox light is going out, by putting my phone in there in video mode!

I think I will have the battery tested when I have the tires balanced today.

Last edited:

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
You can drive that car all week long and the battery won't top up. I've been wrenching on European cars for the better part of 30 years so you're making me dust some cobwebs off some of my memory buckets, but I'm pretty sure the behavior you're describing is working as intended other than the occasional slow start indicating some battery weakness.

I'll PM you the shop. Call them up and ask them about how long it'll need to sit. I don't remember if that was a requirement because if I'm remembering correctly we got back into town late in the evening and they agreed to pick it up from our house and we weren't able to get it back until the next morning. But that was probably more to do with their hours of operation than it having to cure in their parking lot. I do remember that we couldn't remove the tape for a full day and I remember, but my wife doesn't, that we were supposed to leave the windows down for the day so the pressure wouldn't pop the bead (but it was during the summer so that might not apply now).

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
BTW, I forgot that my wife would be taking the bug to work this morning but here is a shot of the wagon with Air80 on every window except the windshield

and here is the front windshield that we just replaced for $200 or less:

The brand is FUYAO and I had to ask for it by name.

There are three levels of quality when asking for parts: OE, OEM, and aftermarket.
OE is original equipment (built for manufacturer), OEM is original equipment manufacturer (built to manufacturer spec but not necessarily for the manufacturer itself), and aftermarket (built to fit...hopefully).

So when you're calling around you may need to specify that, although you aren't going to the dealer (OE), you still want OEM quality but not aftermarket. they should be able to offer 3 tiers of pricing: going down to the dealership and getting your windshield and putting it in, sourcing the same glass used at the dealership, and then the cheapest aftermarket alternative. I'm assuming you're aiming for that OEM tier, and that's what I found FUYAO to be when I ran some searches on the different brands the glass places told me over the phone.
Your Fuyao windshield is aftermarket. The OEM for our cars are Saint Gobain and AGC. My aftermarket windshield was PPG. Pilkington also makes quality aftermarket glass.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Your Fuyao windshield is aftermarket. The OEM for our cars are Saint Gobain and AGC. My aftermarket windshield was PPG. Pilkington also makes quality aftermarket glass.

Fuyao Glass Industry Group Co. Ltd (Chinese: 福耀玻璃工业集团股份有限公司) is a manufacturing company in the People's Republic of China, engaged in the production of float glass, automobile glass and construction glass. It is one of the largest auto glass producers in the world,[1] with customers including large international automobile manufacturers such as Ford, General Motors, Subaru and Volkswagen Group.
(emphasis mine)

As I wrote earlier, there are OE, OEM, and aftermarket tiers. The differences between the OE side windows and the OEM windshield on my vehicle are the VW stamps and a few hundred dollars. "Aftermarket" glass won't have any relationship to the manufacturer other than measurements (which can range from precise to sloppy).

If you walk around *your* car you'll likely find a range of brands stamped on the glass with the only common factor being the VW stamp. Perhaps yours will all be one brand, but it won't make the glass any more or any less "better" than my hodgepodge of FUYAO w/ Saint Gobain and Vitro (all original, original equipment glass). Manufacturers work with a variety of suppliers. The lack of a VW stamp on the glass doesn't render the part "aftermarket" if it's from an OE supplier--it's OEM. An aftermarket part would be something like, "bizzleglass" with no relationship to the manufacturer or access to their specifications, and likely have those manufacturing defects and lack of clarity pointed out earlier in the thread.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just because Fuyao may be an OEM for a rear view mirror doesn't make their windshield an OEM part. Your Fuyao windshield is aftermarket, period. That doesn't necessarily mean it is lacking in quality. Sometimes aftermarket parts are actually superior in quality to their OE and OEM counterparts. Here's an interesting thread debating the merits of OEM vs aftermarket windshields:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=457465

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Chill down Peeps!;)

All opinions are valid!

Ok, some updates...
My current windshield may well be the original... which is a surprise.
VW logo, and Sekurit brand.
The mask is showing signs of age tho...

Thanks for the Info Bizzle!
Its 190 miles away from me, but $40 in gas saves $110... will shop around and see what else I can find.

This was this morning... Key on, not started.

And running...

Battery was tested at Walmart, and their machine says its healthy, but I noted tested voltage@12.45v is lower than I think it should be.

My New(Used) Ebay key arrived.
OEM Key fob with new, virgin chip and blank key ready to cut... $35 delivered.

My son has VCDS(For his Audi Allroad), and will be with him for the weekend, so I'd be keen to know how/if I can set up the new key with that if anyone knows or has a link to how???

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Those cigarette lighter voltmeters/usb chargers are great. I bought a couple last month. The glow plugs would pull the voltage down to around 11.5-.7 in my car too.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
You need vagtacho and VCDS to setup the key. You could have purchased a cut key from fixmyvw.com and rented the cable to code it.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Crap, I knew I was forgetting something :/

I have two of those key fobs, one with an uncut key. I had bought them for my 2012, I don't think they're the same as my 2015 so if you decide you want more let me know.

If/when you get the programming figured out, I'm curious about the process. If you have to rent a tool, I'd go halves with you. I need a second key for my wagon.

I was under the impression keys for our years couldn't be added without talking to the mothership. When I had my 2012 I left the parts department with an A/C compressor, tossed in the back, set my keys and wallet down to close the hatch!, and then subsequently stared at what I had just done. The guys couldn't help me any more than calling AAA who against policy unlocked my car so I could show them my wallet once the dealership vouched for what happened :)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd recommend getting that windshield replaced before your trip out to AZ. Having an obstructed view and weakened glass could be a safety issue on a long trip.

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Already here!
Had a good run out.
Traffic was slow leaving Riverside, and Friday evening rush hour plus contruction in Phoenix was horrible.
Ran 70-75 mph most of the way, and numbers were:
Filled the tank on Wednesday, and did 33 miles before we left this morning, so 396 miles on the trip today. Average for today was 42.5 mpg. Still showing 1/3 of a tank and range left reads 145 miles.
Had an unexpected CEL, after a lunch stop, which I recorded and cleared.
P0401
Egr low recirculating flow or something. Hasn’t come back.

Last edited:

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Had time to look at the photos I took of the codes.
There were 3.
All were generic P0401 “EGR Insufficient Flow Detected”.
One Current, one Pending, and one Permanent.
First time I’ve had a MIL/CEL since I bought it, or 700 miles.
We had complered 235 miles at a steady 50/70mph including the long drag up out of Indio. Just before the climb I was reading 46.2 mpg ave.
Stopped for lunch and the MIL came on within 15 mins after restart. I stopped at the next rest area and checked/cleared them.
They have not returned yet.
Having done some reading, seems I need to inspect my tailpipe for soot, as that might give clues to if the DPF is cracked. Most of the treads are older, so I’m not sure if the DPF or EGR are covered under any warranty extension.

My son, looked the car over on arrival, and commented that it was in better shape than he expected. He noted that the drivers seat is sagging, as well as worn. I felt that too, but hopefully I can find a replacement. An inspection confirmed that the valve cover is dry, so the oil leak from the filler is cured.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Oilhammer has this to say:

Literally the ONLY thing on a CBEA or CJAA TDI I have ever seen on one for the P0401 is a clogged EGR filter tube. And I have probably seen that 100 times.

There has been a TSB about this for a while now.

Your EGR filter tube is clogged, because your DPF is cracked and allowed soot to get in and clog the EGR tube. Your tailpipes are also sooty.
in two separate posts from this thread http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=460932

Since your car had the emissions fix completed in August, I believe your DPF should be under warranty but it should already be new so that's a bit confusing or alarming depending.

Last edited:

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Yup, I read that thread too, but thanks for the knowledge and overview.
The Emissions fix was done in August 2018, so I am assuming that there are no conditions attached, or it would not have been completed?
It passed smog the day we bought it, and a later test soon after I did with my basic scanner told me the car had been thru 19 starts and 150 miles since the MIL was last cleared.
Lots of maybes to think about during my insomnia hours!
I am sure this car still has secrets to reveal to me!

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Checked tailpipe and bumper for soot.
None visually obvious.
A wipe around both tailpipes with a white tissue, and the dirt was minimal.
Will try to post a pic.

Last edited:

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
hahaha, me neither but that's the impression that I get from reading various threads around here :)

In any case, it may be that your pipes aren't sooted up yet because currently the only explanations (if the DPF is cracked) are either installer error or that it happened in the past few months. It may not have had enough time to soot up.

Joking aside, unless you're curious you don't have to troubleshoot this. That code is within the emissions fix warranty and it's their problem to determine and resolve unless I'm incorrect in my understanding of the terms of the agreement for your model and year.

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
Good luck if you take it to the dealer for the warranty - I understand your reasons if you do, as your location makes "other fixes" more... Problematic.

I finally completed my mileage runs on the highway since mine has been upgraded. The dash computer says the average mileage was 49mpg, hand calculation says 40mpg. That is for 550 miles (and I still need to verify the odometer just to be certain) and just about all of it at 80-83mph, with a couple traffic jams (I-4 is always clogged at least once) and almost no surface street driving. Filled at the same station both times.

The second mileage run was yesterday, first half was 250 miles and also 40mpg, going to confirm the return trip a little later b/c I did a straight shot so it should be easy to match the GPS and see the mileage to check the odometer.

40mpg at 80 is pretty dang good - I'd be happier if there was more, but that's nearly 8mpg better than my 03 TDI wagon did for the same conditions, and about 4mpg better than before the Malone tune (which was at 70-75mph slower speed too) so probably about 6mpg increase from the Malone and the "weight reduction"

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
Also - If you decide to look for a headlight "euroswitch" that gives you the option of marker (parking) lights without the headlights on, and fog lights if you add them... Here's the listing for one that I just bought, and received a Made-in-Italy genuine VW switch for $20, not a Chinesium knockoff! VERY satisfied with this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Euro-Headl...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Neither I or my son knows VCDS regarding the TDI but we found s table that said my DPF Oil Ash level was 39ml....
Not sure what that means yet!

Dwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 VW Jetta GLS TDI; 2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
I took a screen shot of that page.
Comparing that with the posted DPF levels, it seems my reading is similar to cars with 50k miles....
Interesting!

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
I’d really like the Euro lightswitch with the light sensor too so I can have the auto lights.

I plan to add foglights at front and maybe a Halo or Strip DRL in that Panel.
In the meantime, a brighter LED DRL too, if anyone has suggestions.