TDI timing belt/chain

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Well I guess if you want to spend a lot of extra money then that would be okay. But having a knowledgeable tdi trusted mechanic would be my choice. There are at least 5 in the
DC vicinity. 2 or 3 more in more outlying areas. My local trusted mechanic here charged
$750 +/-. Not hardly worth buying the tools and doing it myself at that price. Save the receipts and parts lists,

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Well I guess if you want to spend a lot of extra money then that would be okay. But having a knowledgeable tdi trusted mechanic would be my choice. There are at least 5 in the
DC vicinity. 2 or 3 more in more outlying areas. My local trusted mechanic here charged
$750 +/-. Not hardly worth buying the tools and doing it myself at that price. Save the receipts and parts lists,
I just got a quote from Cuz's TDI Werks near me. He bought the tools he needs and said if I'll buy the parts kit, he'll do the job for ~$450. I'll be ordering a kit today...

Last edited:

shanky887614

TDI
vw caddy arl
the only timing belt tool you need is the crank locking pin.

thats a $10 tool...

the top one can be done with either the locking pin or a 6mm drillbit

Sent from my ASUS_X00ID using Tapatalk

shanky887614

TDI
vw caddy arl
ive used this kit myself and it works fine.

this also has the hub puller that you need when swapping cams

Sent from my ASUS_X00ID using Tapatalk

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
Any thoughts on having the dealer do it since VWUSA has now so graciously extended the warranty on the car...? I can foresee them giving me grief if in fact there are engine problems later and they didn't do the WP/TB job. Then I'm playing man-in-the-middle with the shop and VWofA? Just thinking out loud.
They would have to PROVE that the new timing belt AND/OR other components that where replaced with it or the installation of said parts CAUSED the problem that you are trying to get warranty coverage for. And they would have to be willing/able to stand behind that proof in court to deny you a warranty claim. Look up the Manguson-Moss Warranty Act for further reference. If you have a reputable guru do the work for you this will be a non-issue.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The problem there is you have to go to court and fight it. Lots of time, expense and hassle involved in doing that. Most people don't want to deal with that. You may be in the right but it may cost you an arm and a leg and several years to prove it.

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
The problem there is you have to go to court and fight it. Lots of time, expense and hassle involved in doing that. Most people don't want to deal with that. You may be in the right but it may cost you an arm and a leg and several years to prove it.
If I'm right then damn the cost, besides I'll make sure my legal bills are included in my settlement (I understand that I would have to put up the cash initially). ALSO most dealers are betting on you not knowing your rights when they try to pull some bulls--t, and sadly most people will write the check. Many will fold when you start asking how exactly 'outside work' A, or aftermarket part B affected the failure of covered part C. And MOST will cave after you deliver them a carefully and strongly worded letter from an attourney (on lawfirm letterhead) which will certainly be cheaper than the repair they are trying to make you pay for.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Maybe, but just remember they usually have an attorney on retainer whereas you don't. Even finding an attorney to take your case will be a struggle. I tried to find an attorney on a clear cut malpractice suit and no one would touch it as it didn't involve a 6 figure settlement. But go ahead if you want to try.

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I realize that I am in the minority but it is my personal belief that, in today's litigious society, everyone should have an attourney on retainer. I have had one for 15 years now. Besides, you dont need to have a lawyer on retainer for you to pay to have a letter written. Most dealers will ask themselves, "do I want to risk negative publicity across social media and enthusiast forums (like this one) and possibly risk going to court and losing" over a job that I will make a few hundred bucks profit off of ($100per hr shop time charge plus still gotta pay the mechanic and overhead costs)? Or do I just want to cut my losses, do it under "good faith" and possibly generate word of mouth buisness? The intelligent buisness choice is to go the good faith route you will lose a little on the front end but you will gain so much more by sending a customer away with a smile on their face. Not all think like that, but very few survive by pissing customers off.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Well VWOA is in charge of that and not the dealer. In many cases they have proven they don't really care for the customer so much after the sale. I know of no one in my circle of people who have a lawyer on retainer unless they are involved in big business. A letter I doubt, scares them into action at all. Maybe an actual court filing might. VW has a lot of pissed off customers in the US and it hasn't really affected them at all. Believe what you want but our legal system is geared for those who have money to defend themselves. It costs money whether you are right or wrong. Probably not something they will take on a contingency basis either. People already can't get a lawyer for appealing items in the dieselgate appeals.

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Good discussion and I can see both sides (sort of). I don’t have a lawyer but used to have some legal coverage thru work. Tried to use it for a will and POA, the wet-behind-the-ears young man was not very good. I paid out of pocket to get a family Trust set up the right way. I agree trying to fight VWOA would not be a cheap or quick endeavor, but I don’t think it would come to that. It’s just a TB and WP...

That said, I did find a local shop Cuz’s TDI Werks who I’m going to have do the job. He comes recommended and I’m sure will do a good job. I ordered the parts and they should be here next week.

I was also just reading a thread about the Magnuson-Moss Act that legally protects a consumer from a manufacturer trying to void your warranty for using aftermarket parts or services without proving it to be the cause of the failure.

Last edited: