Front brakes always lock up before rears - proportioning valve?

thechoochlyman

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Apparently this is a common issue (for the lever to stick on the proportioning valve), which is why I suspect it. When I slam on my brakes, the front tires lock up 100% of the time before my rears do. As a matter of fact, I don't think I've ever gotten the rears to lock up. Are these symptoms correct for a failed/stuck proportioning valve?

EDIT: I don't have to slam on the brakes in normal situations, or to stop properly. I'm only doing that as a test.

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The fact that you're actually having to slam the brakes on is kind of worrisome.

Yes, if the fronts lock up first there's potentially a pressure regulator valve issue with the rear, however, testing and setting that valve is a bit tricky.

But aside from that you probably will never be able to fully equalize pressure between the two. If you could it would potentially make stopping in an emergency rather difficult since in that scenario the valve would want to divert from the more powerful front brakes to the rear simply to 'balance' regardless of whether the vehicle would be benefited in stopping by the balancing.

I'm not sure I'm making the point accurately enough so here's another take on it. Balance for the sake of balance is risky when the braking capability is not balanced. I.e. the fronts can do a lot more to stop because of size and because of the load placed on them and I'm not sure that the simple regulator can respond quickly enough to balance this action. And part of that is due to what it uses as a trigger for actuation.

Be that as it may, I'm not even sure the Bentley talks about it very much, so I checked and this is what they say:

"Testing and adjusting the pressure-regulating function requires measuring brake system pressure at each wheel caliper, using two pressure gauges with a range of at least 160 bar (2320 psi). Because of the need for this specialized equipment, we recommend having this test performed by an authorized Volkswagen dealer."

So there you have it, but before verbally calling your pressure regulator defunct you need to perform the test.

Refer to the Bentley for more information on the test.

EDIT: this is one reason we have the advent of ABS systems...

Steve

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Idunno about newfangled systems with ABS but in the past the fronts were always designed to lock up first. Probably still are in case all the electrickery fails.

The reason being if the fronts lock the car stays relatively straight. If the rears lock first the rear comes around.

Analogy would be balancing a pole on your finger compared to holding the top of it.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
your tires are garbage
brakes are garbage
i bet there generic junk tires with autozone cheep pads.

Get some Michelins and some bindex pads
the fronts are supposed to lock up before the rears do.
flush the heck out of your brake lines too.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
your tires are garbage
brakes are garbage

You can tell all that from Maryland, can you? Your TDI prowess never ceases to amaze me.

Chooch, the proportioning valve isn't that hard to set, usually it's near the neutral mark. I used set them around there and then go for a ride, testing them out. It was never far off the mark.

But I bought a brake pressure gauge off Amazon and set them with it now. It'll even tell you if you have a line partially collapsed or plugged.

If you want to borrow it, I can toss it in the mail. I don't use it all that much and it just sits. Just make sure the car is level when you do this, with the rear axle beam supported (like its sitting on the tires), otherwise it'll throw off the proportioning valve. While it's not an expensive calibrated gauge, it'll get you good enough to not know the difference.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
over the hundreds of cars that have passed though my tools, i have never seen one that had a portioning valve "go bad" or become set wrong. its 1 of 3 things, bad brake fluid, tires, or pads.
OP probably has some locked up rear cylinders and gummed up brake lines. Cars with copper brake lines have a much higher tendency to gum up.
you cant fix a chemical problem with a mechanical fix and vice versa. Fixing or replacing a portioning valve to balance poor brake pad function is probably one of the worst things you can do on a non modified brake set up. Besides OP is saying his fronts lock up before his rears. WELL DUH, there going to do that, a car that is primarily front heavy with a poor suspension geometry is always going to do this. The fact that he is complaining about having to mash the brakes down to get to a stopping clearly shows that his pads and brake fluid are probably to blame if his tires are not poor performing. Its a bit basic.

Quick question though, you put this gauge on the brake caliper bleed screw? how does this work on rears with so little room? an adapter or something? Or do you put it on the rubber line to the caliper?

One thing i have passed by too often is reman brake calipers sticking, every time i get one that isnt working right, i take the piston out to find a few grains of sand or blasting media in there binding the piston to the caliper. Remans are the worst and its very cheep and easy to replace the piston and seals as a DIY and about 2 steps more than a oil change in difficulty.

It is also possible that OP has a leaking rear and brake fluid is saturating the rear shoes.

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
The fact that you're actually having to slam the brakes on is kind of worrisome.

Yes, if the fronts lock up first there's potentially a pressure regulator valve issue with the rear, however, testing and setting that valve is a bit tricky.

But aside from that you probably will never be able to fully equalize pressure between the two. If you could it would potentially make stopping in an emergency rather difficult since in that scenario the valve would want to divert from the more powerful front brakes to the rear simply to 'balance' regardless of whether the vehicle would be benefited in stopping by the balancing.

I'm not sure I'm making the point accurately enough so here's another take on it. Balance for the sake of balance is risky when the braking capability is not balanced. I.e. the fronts can do a lot more to stop because of size and because of the load placed on them and I'm not sure that the simple regulator can respond quickly enough to balance this action. And part of that is due to what it uses as a trigger for actuation.

Be that as it may, I'm not even sure the Bentley talks about it very much, so I checked and this is what they say:

"Testing and adjusting the pressure-regulating function requires measuring brake system pressure at each wheel caliper, using two pressure gauges with a range of at least 160 bar (2320 psi). Because of the need for this specialized equipment, we recommend having this test performed by an authorized Volkswagen dealer."

So there you have it, but before verbally calling your pressure regulator defunct you need to perform the test.

Refer to the Bentley for more information on the test.

EDIT: this is one reason we have the advent of ABS systems...

Steve
Only time I'm slamming on the brakes is when I'm trying to test them out - it's not a regular occurrence. The main concern I have is with stopping in the rain, because there have been a few times that I've had to stop a bit more quickly than usual and the fronts would lock up.

Thanks for the information - at this point I'm mainly just trying to determine if the regular may be a factor and then go from there.

Idunno about newfangled systems with ABS but in the past the fronts were always designed to lock up first. Probably still are in case all the electrickery fails.

The reason being if the fronts lock the car stays relatively straight. If the rears lock first the rear comes around.

Analogy would be balancing a pole on your finger compared to holding the top of it.
Well if that's the case then it may actually be working just as intended.

your tires are garbage
brakes are garbage

Can't argue with that.

I had already intended to get some better tires next time around. It's too easy to both skid and spin my tires in the rain. Definitely seems like a traction issue.

You can tell all that from Maryland, can you? Your TDI prowess never ceases to amaze me.

Chooch, the proportioning valve isn't that hard to set, usually it's near the neutral mark. I used set them around there and then go for a ride, testing them out. It was never far off the mark.

But I bought a brake pressure gauge off Amazon and set them with it now. It'll even tell you if you have a line partially collapsed or plugged.

If you want to borrow it, I can toss it in the mail. I don't use it all that much and it just sits. Just make sure the car is level when you do this, with the rear axle beam supported (like its sitting on the tires), otherwise it'll throw off the proportioning valve. While it's not an expensive calibrated gauge, it'll get you good enough to not know the difference.
Hey Abacus, thanks for the offer. I'll let you know if I'm interested later, but I don't think it's all that necessary at the moment.

over the hundreds of cars that have passed though my tools, i have never seen one that had a portioning valve "go bad" or become set wrong. its 1 of 3 things, bad brake fluid, tires, or pads.
OP probably has some locked up rear cylinders and gummed up brake lines. Cars with copper brake lines have a much higher tendency to gum up.
you cant fix a chemical problem with a mechanical fix and vice versa. Fixing or replacing a portioning valve to balance poor brake pad function is probably one of the worst things you can do on a non modified brake set up. Besides OP is saying his fronts lock up before his rears. WELL DUH, there going to do that, a car that is primarily front heavy with a poor suspension geometry is always going to do this. The fact that he is complaining about having to mash the brakes down to get to a stopping clearly shows that his pads and brake fluid are probably to blame if his tires are not poor performing. Its a bit basic.

Quick question though, you put this gauge on the brake caliper bleed screw? how does this work on rears with so little room? an adapter or something? Or do you put it on the rubber line to the caliper?

One thing i have passed by too often is reman brake calipers sticking, every time i get one that isnt working right, i take the piston out to find a few grains of sand or blasting media in there binding the piston to the caliper. Remans are the worst and its very cheep and easy to replace the piston and seals as a DIY and about 2 steps more than a oil change in difficulty.

It is also possible that OP has a leaking rear and brake fluid is saturating the rear shoes.
First thing I did when I bought the car was replace all the calipers with Napa remans. With a lifetime warranty, I've replaced each one of them at least once in the last three years when it started to stick or the piston wouldn't retract properly. Considering the fact that these are free replacements now for as long as I own the car, I'm staying with these because they do actually work. But replacing the pistons/seals is something that I may consider doing later. I've flushed the entire system quite extensively, but it's time to do it again.

As stated on one of my prior replies, yes, it could very potentially be a tire issue. It's pretty easy to spin the tires when the road is wet, and I'm much more likely to lock up the fronts when it's raining. My rear tires have about 10k miles left on them. When they're done I'll put the new tires on the front and go with something better than the Sumic tires I've been running mostly without issue for the last 100,000 miles.

In most of the research I've done it seems a common issue for the proportioning valve lever to freeze up over time and need maintenance. That's why I asked about it, as I didn't know that the fronts were actually designed to lock up first. I'm not an engineer, and it seemed likely that they should all lock up at approximately the same time.

Yesterday I threw the brakes on around 40 MPH on dry road, and although the fronts did bark a little, the entire stopping power seemed better than it ever has been. Maybe the fresh pads and rotors I put on a few hundred miles ago are starting to break in better now. I have an oil change due soon, at that time I'll actually physically inspect the proportioning valve and report what I find.

EDIT: Also want to add that I don't have to slam/stomp on the brakes for them to operate normally. They certainly don't feel like hydraulic brakes, but have no issue getting me stopped either.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
SO much misinformation in this thread. Wow.

That little valve (called a load sensitive brake pressure regulator, btw) can indeed stick. Not as bad about this as the old cast iron ones, but they still can go bad. They are still available, made by Ate, and not terribly expensive.

357-612-151 is the part number.

The jam nut and screw are set at the factory, the spring tension adjustment is made via comparison of pressures front and rear, and this requires a special gauge which nobody has (the dealers don't even have one, but the SST number is VAG 1310 in case anyone wants to know).

The easy check is to have the car on the level, resting on all four wheels, with the weight of the driver, full fuel tank, and the spare tire, at normal ride height, press the brake pedal firmly.... you should see the regulator move slightly.

In most cases, the failure mode for these will cause slow/no rear pad wear, and accelerated front wear, with a high potential for warped front rotors.

The OP's "testing" is quite unscientific at best. Parts store caliper "rebuilds" are almost always short lived garbage. Lifetime warranty means a lifetime of replacing, and lackluster brake performance the whole time. You can still find brand new Lucas rear calipers for these, though. Will cost more, but will last longer. And of course, and OEM level of pad/rotor will insure the best brake performance as well. Ate, Pagid, Textar, etc. are all still available and work well.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
That, and the little valve is specifically designed to prevent the rear wheels from locking up, so that the car doesn't spin around in a panic stop.

-J

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
SO much misinformation in this thread. Wow.
That little valve (called a load sensitive brake pressure regulator, btw) can indeed stick. Not as bad about this as the old cast iron ones, but they still can go bad. They are still available, made by Ate, and not terribly expensive.
357-612-151 is the part number.
The jam nut and screw are set at the factory, the spring tension adjustment is made via comparison of pressures front and rear, and this requires a special gauge which nobody has (the dealers don't even have one, but the SST number is VAG 1310 in case anyone wants to know).
The easy check is to have the car on the level, resting on all four wheels, with the weight of the driver, full fuel tank, and the spare tire, at normal ride height, press the brake pedal firmly.... you should see the regulator move slightly.
In most cases, the failure mode for these will cause slow/no rear pad wear, and accelerated front wear, with a high potential for warped front rotors.
The OP's "testing" is quite unscientific at best. Parts store caliper "rebuilds" are almost always short lived garbage. Lifetime warranty means a lifetime of replacing, and lackluster brake performance the whole time. You can still find brand new Lucas rear calipers for these, though. Will cost more, but will last longer. And of course, and OEM level of pad/rotor will insure the best brake performance as well. Ate, Pagid, Textar, etc. are all still available and work well.
Thank you - that's all the info I was wanting! I'll have someone press the brake pedal for me later while I observe the operation of the valve.

My testing has only been "unscientific" so far because I'm still figuring out where to start. No offense intended - especially to you or anyone who has been equally helpful - but if I already knew everything being shared here I wouldn't have needed to open a thread about it.

I'm disappointed with the life I'm getting from these calipers, yes, but I can't afford to upgrade them at this time when there are other things I actually have to fix first. I've already invested close to $9,000 in this car and I really don't see myself spending even more on better calipers when the ones I have already function properly. I'm content to replace them as often as they go kaput, and maybe even with replacing/cleaning the piston and O-ring next time before I install one.

The rear rotors and bearings I just installed are Fremax/FAG from IDParts. I would have liked to buy some of those fancy $50 per set brake pads too, but that's another $50 I can't afford at the moment.

EDIT: I apologize if my tone is coming off as ungrateful. There's no way anyone here would know what I haven't said. Suffice it to say, the option of upgrading parts isn't financially available to me at the moment.

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Thank you - that's all the info I was wanting! I'll have someone press the brake pedal for me later while I observe the operation of the valve.

My testing has only been "unscientific" so far because I'm still figuring out where to start. No offense intended - especially to you or anyone who has been equally helpful - but if I already knew everything being shared here I wouldn't have needed to open a thread about it.

I'm disappointed with the life I'm getting from these calipers, yes, but I can't afford to upgrade them at this time when there are other things I actually have to fix first. I've already invested close to $9,000 in this car and I really don't see myself spending even more on better calipers when the ones I have already function properly. I'm content to replace them as often as they go kaput, and maybe even with replacing/cleaning the piston and O-ring next time before I install one.

The rear rotors and bearings I just installed are Fremax/FAG from IDParts. I would have liked to buy some of those fancy $50 per set brake pads too, but that's another $50 I can't afford at the moment.

EDIT: I apologize if my tone is coming off as ungrateful. There's no way anyone here would know what I haven't said. Suffice it to say, the option of upgrading parts isn't financially available to me at the moment.
You're fine, my response was more abrupt and less helpful that it should have been under the circumstances and I apologize for that.

I replaced my regulator after the used one I installed failed after a couple months. At first I thought it was a MC failure but it wasn't. The car had one originally even with ABS but it wasn't setup for dual lines from the MC to the rear. The replacement was new ATE.

I have reasonably good brake performance, at least what I can expect on a 3000 lbs car with probably undersized brakes for the weight / size car but it has stopped me in a couple of emergency situations without a serious lockup like you've mentioned. It also has not locked the rear in any situation either.

I know that OH would prefer OE parts and there is some merit to that but I've never been one who believes in the price / quality relationship. Especially since VW never made any of the stuff originally.

My car is built out of all sorts of misc maker parts, brake system included. And while I've tried to make sure the parts were of good quality there are times when it was a budgetary situation and I couldn't afford what I wanted.

I also didn't want to end up with a car that I physically dumped in thousands of dollars into either. I'll be the first to admit it's a budget conversion build and with close to 30k miles without really any significant problems I think it's doing ok.

If a person can afford OE parts purchased from VW then more power to you, but in most circumstances I cannot.

Hope you get your brake situation sorted out!

Steve

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
You're fine, my response was more abrupt and less helpful that it should have been under the circumstances and I apologize for that.

I replaced my regulator after the used one I installed failed after a couple months. At first I thought it was a MC failure but it wasn't. The car had one originally even with ABS but it wasn't setup for dual lines from the MC to the rear. The replacement was new ATE.

I have reasonably good brake performance, at least what I can expect on a 3000 lbs car with probably undersized brakes for the weight / size car but it has stopped me in a couple of emergency situations without a serious lockup like you've mentioned. It also has not locked the rear in any situation either.

I know that OH would prefer OE parts and there is some merit to that but I've never been one who believes in the price / quality relationship. Especially since VW never made any of the stuff originally.

My car is built out of all sorts of misc maker parts, brake system included. And while I've tried to make sure the parts were of good quality there are times when it was a budgetary situation and I couldn't afford what I wanted.

I also didn't want to end up with a car that I physically dumped in thousands of dollars into either. I'll be the first to admit it's a budget conversion build and with close to 30k miles without really any significant problems I think it's doing ok.

If a person can afford OE parts purchased from VW then more power to you, but in most circumstances I cannot.

Steve
Thanks, Steve - your input is always appreciated!

I've been pondering changing my MC for several months just due to the state of the brake system when I bought the car, but the pedal doesn't leak down any. I do have about an inch or so of dead travel before it starts to actually brake, perhaps someone can clarify wheter that's probably the MC or not. The brakes have been bled and bled and bled, but the fluid in the tank is getting cloudy again. I'm planning to flush again soon, and that would be a prime opportunity to change the MC. ID Parts has one for about $55 I believe.

Speaking of bleeding, any tips for un-freezing bleeder bolts before I risk breaking one off? Kroil + heat if required?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....

Steve

I think you confuse OEM with dealer stuff (common mistake).

You needn't go to Volkswagen to buy OEM stuff. A Bosch part in a Bosch box purchased from XYZ retailer is going to be the exact same as a Bosch part in a Volkswagen box purchased through the dealer. The difference will be the cost, which in many cases is often times substantial. The only parts I ever source through the dealer are parts that I cannot source in the same quality brand in the aftermarket. So you are correct in that VAG did not make all the parts.

Sources for brands like:

Bosch
Elring
Victor Reinz
Glyco
KS
Ate
TRW
Continental
Siemens/VDO
Dayco
Sachs
Luk
Valeo
Hitachi
Mann+Hummel
Hella
Behr
INA
...and a bunch of others are widely available in the aftermarket.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
over the hundreds of cars that have passed though my tools, i have never seen one that had a portioning valve "go bad" or become set wrong.
I've seen some, and some that had the proportioning valve removed completely, so I've had to install one.

I don't mess with the jam nut, just the adjustment screw on the spring mount. While it's probably not calibrated, I've never had an issue setting it.

Something seems to be missing here... The owner actually didn't notice but came in for rear axle beam mounts but the axle beam was too far gone to work with, so I replaced it.

It replaces the bleeder screw but the tires can't be on it at the time since there is no clearance.

Last edited: