BuyBack question

phreaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf hatchback (purchased used in December 2021 to replace the 2015 Sportwagen (purchased new in Sept. 2017) that I totalled. :( Former TDIs: 2006 Jetta sedan (FLOODED -- Thanks, Hurricane Harvey); 2009 JSW (FLOODED-- thanks, Hurricane Harvey!)
I can't find this answer anywhere: I know that the vehicle has to be driven into the dealership under the power of its original TDI engine to qualify. And I know the values will be based on the Sept. 2015 NADA, adjusted for a couple of options, and its mileage. But will the value of the vehicle be adjusted for its OVERALL condition?

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
As far as I know, thats all thats mentioned in the court documents.
It has to be powered by its own engine
No mention of condition, fault lamps, etc

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
No. It appears that the settlement was designed to eliminate subjective factors in setting a buyback value. So, for your model, it is solely based on whether it has nav, a sunroof, a non-manual transmission, and the mileage.

If they started to try to evaluate condition, there would be differences of opinion, possible appeals, etc. They sought to do away with that.

So don't worry about a dent or two, or a cracked window. But don't be a fool. Some guys think they can virtually strip the car, drive it in with missing seats, radios, etc., and nobody will bat an eye. Those are the same guys who steal catsup packets from McDonalds.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I can't find this answer anywhere: I know that the vehicle has to be driven into the dealership under the power of its original TDI engine to qualify. And I know the values will be based on the Sept. 2015 NADA, adjusted for a couple of options, and its mileage. But will the value of the vehicle be adjusted for its OVERALL condition?
No. There are no adjustments for condition.