What did you do to your MKIV today?

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Might have been just condensation. Seen that a handful of times.
It was sealed up good and I found a piece of metal that may have been a failed dmf...it was buried in sludge

It was oily though... we'll just have to wait...cleaned the bell housing for that reason

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Many thanks to Eric(Powder Hound) for helping me with my door lock module replacement at Ho5G. It is so nice having door lights again, doors not re-locking,etc... the only new thing now is the annoying alarm when you have a door open, but I can live with that... now I need to crawl under car to see what size exhaust/downpipe is on there, as my flex pipe is starting to fail....

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Lost prime WHILE DRIVING, apon doing a Priming job on the side of the road i noticed that TWO injector bodies are leaking air right at the cylinder head....

really throws off the plans for driving 1500 miles in two days, which i had planned on starting at 6AM tomorrow.....

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Lost prime WHILE DRIVING, apon doing a Priming job on the side of the road i noticed that TWO injector bodies are leaking air right at the cylinder head....

really throws off the plans for driving 1500 miles in two days, which i had planned on starting at 6AM tomorrow.....

In a pinch, I've had good results with resealing the injector bodies in the head by using a brass punch and a hammer to tap the injector on top, next the fuel line nut, and then retorquing the clamp bolt to 15 ft/lb.

I had #4 leaking and no spare crush washers/flame shields on hand...
The next day I was able to get some I picked up some spares, but they've been riding around in my door pocket ever since.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
In a pinch, I've had good results with resealing the injector bodies in the head by using a brass punch and a hammer to tap the injector on top, next the fuel line nut, and then retorquing the clamp bolt to 15 ft/lb.

I had #4 leaking and no spare crush washers/flame shields on hand...
The next day I was able to get some I picked up some spares, but they've been riding around in my door pocket ever since.
Thanks! I happen to have a New set of nozzles that have been in box on the shelf for about 7 years or more. I harvested the copper washer out of them. I read a procedure of certain steps and then tapping the top of the body with a "1lbs hammer from 6-8 inch drop" Looks like i have a seal, no bubbles that I can see.

Amazing just how much sand was around the Inj. body, down inside that hole. Blast of compressed air cleared it away from the cylinder quickly.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Thanks! I happen to have a New set of nozzles that have been in box on the shelf for about 7 years or more. I harvested the copper washer out of them. I read a procedure of certain steps and then tapping the top of the body with a "1lbs hammer from 6-8 inch drop" Looks like i have a seal, no bubbles that I can see.

Amazing just how much sand was around the Inj. body, down inside that hole. Blast of compressed air cleared it away from the cylinder quickly.

I pulled injectors from my 2000 with 318k...that was a real pain...I used the EGR cooler vent hose and a vacuum to suck the loose stuff and blue towels and a straight blade screwdriver to finish cleaning the bores

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-speed,2003 Jetta GL Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 2013 CC 2.0T
What tools did you use to change out the seal? How hard was it to remove the one bolt?
I need to change mine so I’m gonna have to just do the TB
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With the torque on that bolt, I don't see how you remove or replace it without a proper counterhold tool. I bought the knock-off one from IDParts for $34.95 (https://www.idparts.com/crankshaft-counter-hold-tool-p-6246.html). They sell the VW version for north of $100 but don't know how it could be any better. With the car on jack stands and the wheel off, I attached the counterhold tool at roughly the 8 o'clock position where the end of the handle was against the garage floor. Then used a 12-pt 19mm socket on a Harbor Freight 20-in breaker bar (https://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-quarter-inch-drive-20-inch-quick-release-breaker-bar-98270.html.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
With the torque on that bolt, I don't see how you remove or replace it without a proper counterhold tool. I bought the knock-off one from IDParts for $34.95 (https://www.idparts.com/crankshaft-counter-hold-tool-p-6246.html). They sell the VW version for north of $100 but don't know how it could be any better. With the car on jack stands and the wheel off, I attached the counterhold tool at roughly the 8 o'clock position where the end of the handle was against the garage floor. Then used a 12-pt 19mm socket on a Harbor Freight 20-in breaker bar (https://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-quarter-inch-drive-20-inch-quick-release-breaker-bar-98270.html.
Also, if you're resealing the seal holder to the block, you have to take the pan off. A 2x4 on one of the crank counterweights sure work.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
New exhaust on IBW.

Apparently I'd blown out the resonator in my 2.5" system and it was getting louder and louder, especially on long drives. I was going to replace the resonator, but one thing lead to another and ended up putting in a new 2" stainless downpipe with no cat and a stock Bosal muffler and tailpipe. Much quieter, and with the improved flow of the 2" pipe (better bend coming out of the turbo and larger flex) I'm hoping there isn't too much of a penalty in flow.

Now I have to remove the 4-motion rear valance and put the stock one back on.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My wiper linkage fell off on my way to work... Ten miles from work in a rainstorm.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh man! So glad you lived to post about it!:eek:
Today I bought my '03 a set of Avus wheels complete with Toyos with >3/4 tread left on CL for $200. I was really surprised how light they are. Woot!
The nut that holds the linkage to the motor fell off. Fixed it at work before I left. Nice find on the wheels!

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Avus wheels have always been under appreciated. Mostly because they were put on everything. But it really is a good wheel. 17.5 pounds soaking wet, strong, and with enough tire that they are much less likely to get creamed in an encounter with a curb or pothole.

They're everywhere, and cheap. You won't have a problem replacing one even if it does get damaged.

What's not to like?

Cheers,

PH

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
New exhaust on IBW.

Apparently I'd blown out the resonator in my 2.5" system and it was getting louder and louder, especially on long drives. I was going to replace the resonator, but one thing lead to another and ended up putting in a new 2" stainless downpipe with no cat and a stock Bosal muffler and tailpipe. Much quieter, and with the improved flow of the 2" pipe (better bend coming out of the turbo and larger flex) I'm hoping there isn't too much of a penalty in flow.

Now I have to remove the 4-motion rear valance and put the stock one back on.
It was the ride in the back that notified you? ;)
Did you go with one of your own downpipes?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That was just a reminder. Much quieter back there now.

I did put on our 2" downpipe, no cat, and stock muffler and tail pipe. Swapped over the valence from 1.8T to the OE one without the cutout yesterday.

Figit090

Veteran Member
TDI
Lifted Unicorn! '03 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon, 5spd, Candy White, Black leather.
Tried out the Bosal ball hitch for the first time! Towed great.:D
2" receiver has proven great for the bike rack also. very glad I went with this system.

Brake lights didn't work though, unsure if the trailer was the issue or my hookups, but I did check my wiring with a multimeter after installing so I'm thinking it was the trailer ground..
anyway, pics or it didn't happen. :)

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Impressive towing!

I washed and dried my wagon today. It's shiny again.

jlav0330

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Fixed the leaking vacuum pump on my new 03 Golf. Two annoying things happened:

1. The hose that goes from the vacuum pump to the brake booster broke, so I had to find that part online, it's a special order part so no driving until it gets here
2. It says to torque it to 7 ft-lbs, and I use a cheap spring loaded torque wrench. I couldn't feel the click when it was getting pretty tight. Don't know if my torque wrench was busted or what. So I just tightened it to what I felt was tight/guess it was somewhere around 7 ft-lbs. If it leaks again I know what it is and guess I'll do it again

Oh the joy of working on cars. Nothing ever goes 100% right.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
1. The hose that goes from the vacuum pump to the brake booster broke, so I had to find that part online, it's a special order part so no driving until it gets here

I just had to order one for my Jetta Wagon; fortunately the old one is only cracked in a couple of places so wrapping the pipe with 3M electrical tape has fixed it temporarily. You're lucky - the version for the ALH is much less expensive than for my BEW with automatic transmission.

jlav0330

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
I just had to order one for my Jetta Wagon; fortunately the old one is only cracked in a couple of places so wrapping the pipe with 3M electrical tape has fixed it temporarily. You're lucky - the version for the ALH is much less expensive than for my BEW with automatic transmission.
That's something I didn't think of doing; I'm kinda scared to put back on the hose however. It's cracked at the end and I don't want a chunk to fall in and go into either the brake booster or vacuum pump. Just hope it comes in sooner rather than later. I paid $35 for an aftermarket one, how much is the one for the BEW?

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Took my car to my favorite mechanic from our "trusted list." He gave me a lot of piece of mind on several issues that sprung up out of nowhere.

1600 miles from home; time to track down a new Bosch MAF to make my trip home a little smoother and easier.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's something I didn't think of doing; I'm kinda scared to put back on the hose however. It's cracked at the end and I don't want a chunk to fall in and go into either the brake booster or vacuum pump. Just hope it comes in sooner rather than later. I paid $35 for an aftermarket one, how much is the one for the BEW?

My cracks are in the hose part fortunately, not the fitting or check valve.

The cheapest I found was $54 before shipping; with shipping it came to $72.80. Elsewhere the pre-shipping cost ranged around $75 - $95.

Last edited:

jlav0330

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf

The cheapest I found was $54 before shipping; with shipping it came to $72.80. Elsewhere the pre-shipping cost ranged around $75 - $95.

Holy moley that is way more expensive... I was finding some for less than $30 on Amazon, but none on Prime so I decided to buy it on a website and combine it with other parts for free shipping. Cheapest $54 is nuts.

This is my first European car and I'm noticing two things compared to my Camry:
1. Parts are more expensive in general
2. This car's design is just more complex/pain in the ass. For example, to take out the battery on the Camry it was a metal bar that held it down, the bar being held down by two all-threads around 1' long. I had to fight for 30 minutes to figure out how to take out the damn battery lol

Still like it however. We'll see how changing clutch/DMF goes...

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, it IS engineered by GERMANS! And as my wife (who is German descent) says, "Germans are stubborn".

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf

If you need a temporary fix that will work (and maybe even a long time) look at Scotch 2288 mastic tape. It WILL seal cracks... You can get it at Lowe's or Home Depot

Even better... Permatex "The Right Stuff" gasket maker smeared over the cracks then a couple wraps of 2288. She won't leak anymore

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you need a temporary fix that will work (and maybe even a long time) look at Scotch 2288 mastic tape. It WILL seal cracks... You can get it at Lowe's or Home Depot

Even better... Permatex "The Right Stuff" gasket maker smeared over the cracks then a couple wraps of 2288. She won't leak anymore
As I said earlier, 3M electrical tape did the trick.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
As I said earlier, 3M electrical tape did the trick.
Just suggesting a better solution is all. You're trying to hold things under 25-30 Hg of vac... Why even risk failure? It's your brakes,which puts other people at risk. Electrical tape is going to fail, hopefully not before the new part arrives

Last edited: