New Slave Cylinder, How To Bleed

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
02J MK4
I'm using a motive bleeder. Just installed a new slave cylinder. I've bled the brakes all the way around, and trying to bleed the new slave cylinder, but can't get anything to come out. Wonder if I should have filled the slave cylinder some before installing it.

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
I was doing more research and saw JimBote mention with the plastic bleed screw you need to open the bleeder at least two full turns before anything comes out, and that worked. It's bled.

Last edited:

GCBUG00

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
Terry,

I think you're getting sleep deprived. But at least you have the parts to finish your job. They delivered the wrong CV shaft yesterday so I'm "shaftless" until after 3 today if they can find a kayak to deliver it with.

Gary

GCBUG00

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
Haven't ventured out yet. But I saw tree frogs going to higher branches and squirrels with umbrellas..

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
02J MK4
I'm using a motive bleeder. Just installed a new slave cylinder. I've bled the brakes all the way around, and trying to bleed the new slave cylinder, but can't get anything to come out. Wonder if I should have filled the slave cylinder some before installing it.

Best one I seen was to connect a pipe from the left front brake calliper bleed nipple to the clutch slave bleed nipple, open them both then gently pump the brakes. The air will get pushed up and out into the reservoir.

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
Hmm I haven't heard that, sound like a good idea.

Once I opened the plastic bleed screw about 2 turns a bunch of air bubbles came out and bled pretty quick.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I did mine before I'd read that method, just open, pedal down, close, pedal up etc, got it to a level where it would work enough to get home but it sorted itself out and I ended up with the pedal all back to normal.

Just so that lot makes sense :D I took my car to a friends shop to swap the engine, do the timing belt etc and removed the lot together. For some reason no matter what I do the slave always seems to get knocked about and air gets in. It's was going on for about 12 midnight by the time we were bleeding the clutch and as soon as I could select all gears that was enough after a long day lol.