2.0 common rail tdi enhancements!

tdipower4me

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jetta
well since the new common rail tdi's will be hitting the shores soon, i will be waiting on a rabbit tdi with the as speculated 140 hp tdi. so since some of us diesel guys know that even 140hp is not enough for us. so how many others will be buying these new tdi's when they come out? i know for sure i will be chipping it. we all know they will have the particulate filter bs that will rob hp too so i dn't know what to do about that. so i will probably be about 190+-hp and 320+-tq with the chip alone. lemme know what you guys think, i know some of you are as stoked about this motor just as i am!:D :D

bugablue

Veteran Member
TDI
98 beetle
God knows what the vw oil recomendation will be for the common rail engine, but it will probably be not even as strict as the pd, due to less lubrication needed in the head.
But anyways, Petro Canada is adding a Duron E synthetic 5/40 to they're oil line up. It will handle the soot better than the regular Duron synthetic 5/40, which I use and trust very much. This oil has been specificaly designed for heavy trucks in 2007 to keep the particulate filters from clogging prematurely, and to maintain extended drain intervals with the higher levels of soot that will end up in the oil with the newer emmision standards from heavier egr use and so on.
Maybe I should have put this in the oil part... oh well

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I'm contemplating it, since my current Golf is very clean with a good history and could fetch a decent price. However, after doing Smog .205's and RC2, I needed to upgrade my weak Sachs clutch to the VR6/G60 setup, and this leaves me with a big question for new TDI's:

1) What torque will the new stock clutches be good for?

2) I like what I've heard about the DSG, but would want to know what a clutch job on that would cost. Also, what is the DSG capable of holding with mods?

If they really come out with 140hp stock, that'd be about where I currently am. But if/when chips come out, I'd be chippin'.

xsamx

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf Black
Anything is possible, I hope VW solved the Intake Clogging problem. With a DPF installed, they can run more EGR to reduce emissions and have less smoke at the tailpipe. Start tinkering with this, and you're opening a birds nest of problems with the regen scheme. Someone will eventually figure it out though, Jeff is a madman and wont stop until he succeeds.

Theres going to be a lot of Rice Burners getting literally smoked soon. Cant wait to see one in action.

I won’t be getting one, I made a promise to myself to keep my Golf until the wheels fall off, and I have a very long way to go still, good ol ALH Engine.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The new Rabbit has the six speed which has an entirely different clutch setup. This setup works fine with the PD 150 so you've got some spare capacity (I hope).

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
The common rail Jetta is 150 hp......cool! I suspect thes cars will be a tuners dream! So much to play with, so much potential! I will say though that the turbo upgrade will be a nightmare! OY, the stuff back there! The catalyst is bolted directly to the turbo and the particle trap to that! Not to mention all the other goodies crammed in there.

This is DEFINATELY a car that will benefit from electronic modification mostly, as the hard parts will be more than most (save Des) are willing to do.

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta
I think there are going to be lots of issues with people prematurely failing the DPF due to power upgrades on the newer cars. Any mod that increases soot production is going to fill the filter more often. This means more regenerations and more ash buildup. Ash builds up the in the filter just like soot... but unlike the soot it doesn't burn off. Filters can be cleaned mechanically but you have to remove them from the vehicle to do so. (I'm speaking in general of DPFs here, most of them work this way)

The frequent regenerations will also harm fuel economy. I think the days of upgrading "nozzles only" and seeing an increase in power with little to no fuel economy hit are numbered. People will likely see much better success with chip/nozzle swaps and chip/nozzle/turbo swaps.

Pure speculation.

moondawg

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
moondawg said:
I think the days of upgrading "nozzles only" and seeing an increase in power with little to no fuel economy hit are numbered. People will likely see much better success with chip/nozzle swaps and chip/nozzle/turbo swaps.
Well, there is going to be for sure another area for upgrade: the rail pressure. This can give some improvements without compromising the DPF lifecycle.

edition30

TDI
Bora TDi
unless i'm mistaken (dont crucify me if i am) but the current UK spec 140PS golf v (103Kw/320Nm) with the BKD engine is still a PD, so im unsure if the US version will be a common rail?

yes its now twin cam 16v and 2.0 instead of 1.9

but its still a PD

i believe Audi are using a common rail diesel in the bigger engines but VW not yet??

the particulate filter is only fitted to the 170PS golf gt (BMN engine)

currently the only issues we have with these engines are (BKD in UK)

1. cracked cylinder heads (water loss)
2. cylinder head gaskets (water loss - a modification exists)
3. intake manifold flap position motors (V157) electronic now instead of the old vacuum operated manifold change over flap (i think you call them the anti shudder valve??), this also blows the AC fan fuse
4. abnormal turbo noises
5. flywheel recalls
6. EGR software updates
7. tandem pumps leaking oil into the return side of the fuel system which blocks the fuel filter (60,000 mile service lfe now)

there are also a few issues with bio-diesel, apparantly causing poor starting and erratic running, but bio fuel isnt that big over this side of the pond

PR code 2G0 states its suitable for bio-diesel and software updates are available

best regards
steve

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
There is NO Common-rail 4-cylinder diesel engine from the VW group in production for sale ANYWHERE, not in Europe, not in USA. Not VW, not Audi, not anything else.

The 6-cylinders and 8-cylinders (Audi, sold in Europe) have common-rail, but not the 4-bangers.

It is very premature to make ANY assumptions about what can and cannot be done, and what is likely to fail prematurely if the vehicle is modified, until we get eyes, ears, and hands on the actual production engines and vehicles, and we are about a year away from that!